Jump to content

CAV 2 Beta


Stubbdog
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strictly speaking, the odds are still 50%.

any Craps player will tell you the odds of getting a given number on 2 single-die rolls is the same.  50% per die.  It does not stack, as the outcome of the first roll has no statistcal bearing on the second roll.

Yes AFTER the first die has been rolled there's a 50% chance of the second die rolling 6+.

The chance that BOTH dice roll 5- however is 75 %

 

edit: I read the book on combinatorics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well either way on all of these items, its good that we are even able to have these kind of discussions and for thatI just wanted to say thanks to Matt, Bryan, and Pat.

 

I might over analyze some of these things a bit. That is a problem I have, but then again, if I didn't then we wouldnt be sharing this good info and interpretation.

 

Heres to playtesting some this weekend between turkey helpings...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes AFTER the first die has been rolled there's a 50% chance of the second die rolling 6+.

The chance that BOTH dice roll 5- however is 75 %

 

edit: I read the book on combinatorics

 

 

Well Strictly, mathematically speaking, the results are too random to tell until we have a much bigger sample size. IIRC, you need 35-40 rolls before you can even begin to start getting anything close to a proper statistical distribution.

 

But any gamer can tell you, statistics doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the roll you are doing right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes AFTER the first die has been rolled there's a 50% chance of the second die rolling 6+.

The chance that BOTH dice roll 5- however is 75 %

 

edit: I read the book on combinatorics

 

 

Well Strictly, mathematically speaking, the results are too random to tell until we have a much bigger sample size. IIRC, you need 35-40 rolls before you can even begin to start getting anything close to a proper statistical distribution.

 

But any gamer can tell you, statistics doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the roll you are doing right now.

My assumption is that a d10 has ten equally likely outcomes, in that case the chance of getting a 6+ when rolling one die is exactly 50% and the chance of rolling 5- with both dice is exactly 25% (which means that the chance of one or both dice comming up 6+ is 75%)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My assumption is that a d10 has ten equally likely outcomes, in that case the chance of getting a 6+ when rolling one die is exactly 50% and the chance of rolling 5- with both dice is exactly 25% (which means that the chance of one or both dice comming up 6+ is 75%)

 

But each role is an independant event, with no influence on each other, and thus random. Which is why I still miss the things 3 time out of 4.

 

This is why I usually stick to topology and chaos theory. They make much more sense than Statistics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My assumption is that a d10 has ten equally likely outcomes, in that case the chance of getting a 6+ when rolling one die is exactly 50% and the chance of rolling 5- with both dice is exactly 25% (which means that the chance of one or both dice comming up 6+ is 75%)

 

But each role is an independant event, with no influence on each other, and thus random. Which is why I still miss the things 3 time out of 4.

 

This is why I usually stick to topology and chaos theory. They make much more sense than Statistics.

Ok look at it like this: You roll two d10's each has two eaqually likely outcomes (either 6+ or 5-) This gives you four eaqually likely outcomes total:

1) First die "misses" and second die "misses"

2) First die "misses" and "second die "hits"

3) First die "hits and second die "misses"

4) First die "hits" and second die "hits"

 

Each outcome has 25% chance of occurring, and three of them are "equivalent" in that they produce a "hit" (2,3 and 4) therefore the chance of a hit is 75% with reroll.

 

If however you have already rolled one die and missed, then your second die has 50% chance of scoring a "hit"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After playing until late last night here's our concerns.

 

No multi-track damage. Or did we miss something that says you can do more than one point of damage per hit? I love being able to rip the crap out of Kahn's with a Rhino or drop a Spartan with one gun from my Starhawk VI. I also loved splitting the fire from my Banshee tanks. Main gun with TL at a CAV and MG without TL at a soft target.

 

Low damage track units seem to be less valuable because of lingering damage. The Dragonfly, although it has lots of spiffy SA's, is almost worthless as I can't count on having a decent chance of keeping it alive. Lingering damage sucks.

 

It's too simple. I'm no brainiac but the game mechanics are overly simplistic. Luck is less of a factor and for those of us who'd rather be lucky than good that blows. I don't get a chance to "catch the twinkle of the GGC's out of the corner of my eye and swing the torso around, seeing the line of slugs rip into the tree beside me". If you're shot at, you're pretty much shot. Or maybe I just have too vivid an imagination.

 

I think this conversion could have been achieved with less drastic a change in the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think changing the basic game mechanics are out of scope of the beta test, Spartan.

 

Besides you can still "rip the crap" out of a target. Seeing as how there are fewer damage tracks to plow through, an undamaged Rhino still has a really darned good chance of completely destroying a 3DT target in a single combat action. You didn't miss anything about doing more than one point of damage. There is only one upgrade that allows this, and it's only installed on one CAV right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5.  Relaetd to TOUGH… just clarifying that it says I can decide to take that recovery roll anytime (during anyone elses phase) between when my unit is stunned and my next turn with said platoon. 

 

This is actually worded very poorly in the rules. One part of it seems to indicate that you do indeed have until the end of the stunned model's next activation to make the toughness roll, while the next section says that you have to make the roll by the end of the next activation phase (which by my reading means the next platoon's activation phase). Are We talking about the Overall Activation Phase in which all model, or the individual platoon Activation Phases?

 

I do think that the base contact requirement for coup de grace for vehicles and CAV's ought to be examined. I understand infantry needing to get up close and personal, but vehicles should be able to get within say 1/2 of their Range and pour enough firepower into the unit to finish it off by using a combat action.

 

Flamers: I think that flamer is likely underpowered. Sure they can hit multiple targets now, and they do an automatic coup de grace on Tough infantry, but it's still tough to cause damage with it to even the most basic infantry squads. This is because none of the models that have it have it with a rating higher than 1. A 20% chance of taking out a squad bathed in the 23rd century's quivalent of Napalm seems sort of low. At least reconsider whether the vehicles and CAV's with flamer should perhaps get it at a higher rating. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you're supposed to add the attacking model's RAV to the flamer roll as well, but that's not currently in the special ability's wording.

 

Just as a general comment, the more I play with the rules, the more I feel that the game is becoming a combination of what I like about CAV 1 and what I like about Heavy Gear. This is most assuredly not a bad thing. ::D:

 

EDIT :Changed my response about Tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Knight has 1 IA but no AOE. It's possible this was by design but this would make it the only Vehicle IA in the current build of the game without at least AOE/2.

 

Scan:

Just to clarify, I Add the RAV of the Scanning model to the Scan check Roll when scanning a stealthed model as part of a Scan for Targets action?

 

Ranged Combat Modifiers Table

"-1 Model is suppressed" Should be clarified to be the Attacking Model

"+1 Target was the subject of a Platoon Mate's scan for target action" -- doesn't this also require the attacking model to have the Wizzo Special Ability?

"-1 Attacker within 6-inches of an ESM or Jammer eqiupped model" -- Clarify that this should be an enemy model (opposing side).

"+1 Attacker with 6-inches of and ESM or ECCM equipped model? -- Clarify that this should be a friendly model (same side).

 

Drift Table

"-1 Suppressed" Should be clarified to be the Attacking Model.

"+2 FRS" Should be clarified to be the Attacking Model.

 

AA: This refers specifcially to Gunships but there are a number of APC's that have movement Type Air. Shouldn't their attacks and/or movement trigger this ability as well? Either that or reclassify all APC's with movement type air to be Gunship/AT's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Counterbattery: Though unlikely, It's possible that a model with counterbattery will be out of range of the model that launched the triggering attack (given up to 6" of drift, AOE 4, the 6" radius for Counterbattery and Cluster Munitions -- A possible 17"). Can you still launch a counterbattery attack in the general direction of the offending model and hope for drift, or is the ability simply not usable if the target is out of range?

 

Also, though I believe the rule is clear on this point, someone's going to try it. What about models activating instants that are effectively Indirect attacks? Can counterbattery work against the FIST model using the instant even though the actual source of the attack is effectively off-board?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's possible that a model with counterbattery will be out of range of the model that launched the triggering attack

 

Remember there is almost no such thing as out of range, just less chance of hitting.

 

Most of the CAV's with counter battery are going to have the same if not more range then those other cav's doing IA attacks upon it.

 

Mad Pat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...