Mclimbin

Clothed female elves

Hey all,

I had a question a few weeks ago about where to find some animal minis and you all were so helpful I decided to come back and ask another question.

I have a friend who is just starting to play DnD and she wants a mini to paint up. Her character is a female elf rogue, but she doesn't want anything "too slutty" (in her words). Do any of you have any suggestions for a female elf in leather armor that is fairly graceful looking? Please no "chicks in chainmail bikinis". ::):

Weapons don't matter much as we can swap them out.

I might seem silly but imagine if the only male figures you could find were barbarians with huge muscles. :blink: Seems there is a larger variety of body types out there for men than for women. I know that this is changing, so I hope you all can help me find the perfect mini for her, so that she will keep playing.

The good news is that she wants to paint her up too! So we really have to find something good for her.

Thanks!

Michael

Thanks for those replies. Unfortunately, I have already exhausted all of the reaper possibilities. She doesn't like them. *I* think they are cool, but she wants something a little more no-nonsense. Anyone have any non-reaper suggestions?

I've also tried all of the minis listed in the CMON store.

Just so you know, I'm married already. This mini if for the girlfriend of a friend of mine. I'm starting to wonder why she ever chose him if she is so picky ;)

m

I have already exhausted all of the reaper possibilities. She doesn't like them.

If she is that picky, just give her a ring of invisibility and use a blank base.

Non 'slutty' elves? BAH! :p How picky is this girl? So she wants a mini without any character?

Have you seen the latest High Elf female mage from GW? :p What about the Everqueen's Handmaidens...they're about as unattractive female elves as far as I'm concerned. GW just don't do good looking females (except the Demonettes!:D).

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/forumofdoom/phpbb2/

Above is the forum for three independent miniature makers, who all do character sculpts, mostly fantasy with some scifi. Hasselfree are about the regular size, Heresy tend to be chunky and cartoony, and Spyglass are said to be quite small.

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/ also do character miniatures and pieces licenced from some big names in fantasy art.

http://www.thunderboltmountain.com/ Finally, this is Tom Meier, he does small but very detailed elves and lots of 'em, with a much more historical feel and less exaggeration.

Finally, don't underestimate the power of a miniature in the hand. Sometimes even professional photography can't do justice to a sculpt.

And last of all, if Reaper doesnt have a specific character, you're going to have trouble finding it. I like browsing the above mentioned pages and they have good stuff but for a consolidated source of character miniatures, Reaper is Number One.

Well, my response is, it depends on how fast you need it.

I was up at the Reaper store a few days ago, and saw a mini in the "soon to be released" window that made my mouth water.

Assuming that Reaper keeps to their usual timeline, it will be out in a couple weeks.

Sorry, I dont have pictures of it. There is not even a GREEN of it in the galleries that I know of...

Sheesh. I'm using 2834 Deladrin Female Assassin for one of my elf thief characters. She's perfect, in fact. You might also want to point out that most figures can recieve a weapon swap if they aren't carrying the right weapon, and basing can always help reflect other details. The things on her knees (if she doesn't like those, are taken care of via a Dremel + a little Green Stuff. :rolleyes:

Or you can do this. Tell her that for a mere $400 she can probably get a custom mini, but she's going to have to wait a while depending on how backlogged some of the sculptors are (and that's the low-end of custom work by a pro).

What about looking at some of the Fenryll? They've got some females that are fairly interesting. They're all resin, though, and can be a bit fragile, and you have to buy them in packs of 3..

The only good US source I know of is discount hobby (www.discounthobby.com). The website carries several smaller and older lines, like grendel, lance & laser, and they also have the rights to some older miniatures that they cast themselves. So if she goes with one of those, her character is going to be shorter than everyone else. Lastly, they have their miniatures grouped in categories like "female" or "fighter with such and such a weapon," so it might help to have the friend go through those sections.

Also, you might consider some of the elves from i-kore's celtos (www.urbanmammoth.com or www.i-kore.com). They're probably not dressed enough, but I wouldn't call any of them slutty, either. At least, not slutty like GW witch elves.. ;)

The best no-nonsense female I've seen lately is the thunderbolt mountain "female warrior in sensible fighting attire," but she's unfortunately human, although the thunderbolt mountain humans are delicate enoug that she might pass pretty easily as elven... She's got the bottom of her ears showing, but the tops are obscured by hair.. except on one side where you can see the ear sorta under the hair.. but with some sneaky painting you could probably say it's an elf.

Try a bit of psychology. Buy two figures-Reaper 2590 Merryn Elmshadow, Female Thief (A perfect figure) then buy another dressed very slutty then offer her choice. If my theory is correct, she will grab the first one and be happy with it because that was the one she chose.

PS-Let me know if it works.

Well, I think that a lot of these would be great. Of course, when she said "elf", the first thing I thought of was thunderbold mountain...

Here is the perfect one, as far as I'm concerned:

http://ironwindmetals.com/catalog/product_...roducts_id=1541

With a rapier, no chainmail bikinis, looks pretty kick butt but still womanly. A dynamic sculpt that is not a static, chunky elepantitis-of-the-hands garrity sculpt.

Sorry, that was mean, Garrity sculpts much better than I do (I don't sculpt). She's just not my favorite. Some of her more recent ones have been nice though.

Anyway, if she doesn't like it, she can find her own ;)

m

Just to let you know, Iron Wind is Ral Partha. The employees who bought it changed the name because of some of the financial shenannigans the previous owners did that tainted the name.

Their figs are closer to true 25mm before the minis started growing to 28mm, heroic 28mm. Figs may go down to that size again due to the world tin crisis. Supply is dropping due to China keeping tin for its own industries.

Keith

There are a few figures that are 28's or larger. ALL of the figures in slotta-bases are. They're not as well known as they came near the end of the company...

Damon.