CAV 2

Stubbdog

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CAV 2 is like a game of GO

Wow. That's the boldest statement I've ever read on these forums.

That even beats Jordan Weisman's recent comment on the next Mage Knight expansion: "New champion warriors lead armies to victory, and players can now form adventuring companies for extra strategy — without increasing the game’s complexity."

While playing yesterday I was struck by how much CAV 2 feels like MW:DA. What with all the special abilities and instants. And I don't like it at all.

Almost everything that drew me to CAV1 is gone. The rules have become overly complex and the data cards overly simplistic. I hate trying to keep track of all these special abilities. I hate the non-opposed roles. The opposed roles created drama and excitement and added luck to the game. Now, when I'm declared as a target, I'm as good as got. The opposed roles gave me a chance to not be hit. I miss being interested wether one of my units gets hit or not. I miss the drama created by the opposed roles.

The movement rates are going to be more like they were in CAV 1 right? I mean these rates on the data cards are just for testing right?

Right now it's too much like Warlord. Does that make sense? I really think it should be pushed back more towards the original rules with extra stuff added in.

Just as a side note Mechwarrior Dark Age is getting a new edition (Age of Destruction) at the beginning of next year. Some of the new features will be upgrades and coalitations/alliances. Industrial mech are suppose to be going byebye (D'oh no more farmbots). And the houses are returning.

Also MWAD will be sold at retail chain stores (Walmart).

Even if my worst fears happen and CAV 2.0 has rules similar to MWDA, CAV still isn't a collectible mini game, which makes all the diference to me. I hate not knowing what I'm buying. Also if I don't like CAV 2.0 I'll just play CAV 1 instead

My 2 cents worth...

I'm trying to look at the "positives" of two different directions I can personally go with regards to CAV.

1. I look forward to the "bigger picture" of RAGE and CAV2.

2. If I just happen to end up preferring CAV1, then there's no reason why I can't continue to play that.

Either way, I still have the ability to enjoy CAV. Part of the reason I had started the d8 thread is because that's one way for me and my locals to continue enjoying CAV1 (just having a little fun with it).

It's challenging at times, but hopefully we don't get so caught up in personal preferences in game systems that we become overly judgemental. There's no denying what one likes... but remember that ultimately, if we just can't seem to agree with "someone" else's rulebooks, then maybe we're being too picky and/or we need to write our own set of rules (i.e.: create our own game).

However... FAIR IS FAIR. I have to admit that I too am somewhat disenchanted with what I've seen thus far in the beta testing of CAV2.

Good luck figuring out how what you want to do with your CAV gaming. :poke: