Sign in to follow this  
bushido

Alexander

Well, my advice would be: save your money. I was hoping for a pretty good movie, but found myself disappointed. There was something that just seemed off in the presentation. It had the potential to be an excellent movie (and there were certainly moments) but this certainly wasn't "the Great." If you're interested in it, wait 'till it comes out on dvd and rent it.

It seems like a fad anyway. A big budget, visually pleasing fad, but a fad just the same.

Gladiator got big. A couple other people tried, then we've had in fairly quick succession Troy, Arthur, and now Alexander. Each one is getting worse reviews than the last.

Some claim the dullness makes it the most historically accurate movie to date...

One thing that I think might be underappreciated is the fact the Companions ride their horses without sturrups! Additionally, one of the historians that advised in the movie also got a bit part leading the Companions cavalry charge every time it happened on-screen.

Damon.

A few days ago, the reviews on Rotten Tomatos was pretty much universally rubbish.

While as a historical dork, I can appreciate accuracy - it's unforgivable in a film for entertainment purposes... otherwise, might as well just make a documentary.

That's what it felt like. ::o: A documentary with the occasional well-acted scene. It should be possible to make an historically accurate film that's entertaining as well...but then again, I know next to nothing about film. I guess that's the last time I go to see a movie without getting a feel for its quality first... ::P:

yEah, the reviews were less than stellar, but that does not always mean much. I knew it was actually a bad movie when its release was very very quiet. I did not see many adds or any of the other prerealse hub-bub that usually precedes a large budget film

Since the release word of mouth has also been poor.

When the reviews were headlined "Alexander the Mediocre" I figured it wasn't going to be all that good, and certainly not worth paying to see in a theater.