How long does it take you to paint a CAV?

tabascojunkie

I picked up some testor's master model dark green in the spray and brush on. When I get a chance, hopefully sometime this week, I'll try out the spray method. I'm hoping it works better, I'd like to have more CAVs painted.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably drive people nuts, but when I'm fired up - it takes me about 40min to ah hr to finish a CAV, minus drying time.

First thing I do is clean and glue the CAV together (except for special occasions, like really big, overhangy monsters like the ogre which I'll do in pieces). I then use white glue to add sand to the base. This I'll let sit overnight to dry, I usually do 'em in batches so I have some ready.

Next I'll give 'em an undercoat of black primer (again in batches) and I'll let them dry overnight, unless I'm being really impatient.

That is the slowest part for me.... What I'll do next is pick a base color and give it an overbrushing with a 1" (or larger) flat brush. Then I'll pick a suitable highlight and hit the model with a drybrushing, usually using a 1" round brush. This whole procedure takes about 10 minutes total time, and is enough to do most of the model

Once that is done, I'll paint on details, likes the cockpit, metal bits, checkers and stripes, other weapon systems - so figure 20-30 min.

Then I like to add various decals, so about 10 min.

You can see my CAVs and tanks in my Gallery here.

The hardest thing for me is to not get distracted and start other projects. :)

Thanks for the reply. As far as actual painting I do about the same as you just without the drybrushing. It just takes me a long time to get the base color on, even using a #4 flat brush. I do about the same as far as any different colors on the model too, not to many. I dunno,maybe I'm just slow. ::D:

The secret here is overbrushing. It's like drybrushing, except you have more paint on your brush, and the brush can be a bit wet. It will give you a decent basecoat quite quickly. Then drybrush on the highlights.

Just adding my $0.02 in here...

It would be hard for any of us to tell you how long you should take to paint a mini of any type. We all work at different speeds.

I know that I paint as slow as molasses even when I dont plan to.

I might start out fast, but I find that I slow down exponentially as I start wanting to get detailistic (paint inside the lines).

And yes, I have the big problem of staring at a piece for a while trying to figure out what colors to put where. CAVs have these nice big panels, but that doesnt necessarily make it easier to decide how to do them up.

I have different techniques I use based on whatever scheme I eventually use, so I cant just say how long it takes me.

Plus, I prefer to paint several at a time, so it takes longer overall, but more results afterwards...

It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes.

I airbrush them using Vallejo Model Air colors.

hit the cockpits and gunbarrels with a paintbrush, seal and that's it.

That's How I do it too. It takes longer to clean the airbrush than to paint the cavs.

I just have to sit and stare at the miniatures for about 6 months before I can break out the airbrush. ::(:

It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes.

I airbrush them using Vallejo Model Air colors.

hit the cockpits and gunbarrels with a paintbrush, seal and that's it.

That's How I do it too. It takes longer to clean the airbrush than to paint the cavs.

I just have to sit and stare at the miniatures for about 6 months before I can break out the airbrush. ::(:

I know a few people that do that too. And some look great, and others look boring.

I have an airbrush (that I only got recently) and definitely plan to use it to help speed some aspects up. But I cannot see me doing an entire paintjob with one. Maybe just the base coating (of course it sounds like you only basecoat anyway so its not a problem for you).

One of the guys I know, does exactly what you said, except he adds a gazillion decals for detail. His stuff is pretty awesome. I love his stuff.... but its just not my style and i couldnt do it the same way.

One of the main reasons I take too long, is that I like to treat my CAVs like others treat their fantasy figs. Not necessarily do a wet blend of 3-4 colors and highlight on every single panel, but I do like to do more than just a flat paint job.

I am not much for racing stripes (although I have seen a few that have made me consider it), but at the same time I just cant leave well enough alone with a flat scheme either....