Regarding Ed's Poll...

Human-Machine

Hey Gang...

I wanted to comment about todays poll about painting for enjoyment or for gaming.

You see, I do it for both. I really enjoy painting, but I also game with the models I paint.

I feel it goes hand in hand.

Painting is part of the hobby. It one of the more enjoyable aspects of the hobby for me. But, gaming is also part of the hobby. And, that's also a very enjoyable aspect of the hobby.

I voted "Absolutely Not True," but, in retrospect, I'm not really sure how I should have voted.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted a 7. I like painting for the sake of painting. But if it so happens I can use those models for a game, great. When choosing models for a game, I tend to choose the ones I would most enjoy painting, regardless of the whole game mechanics. I'm not painting to play, and I'm not playing to win, I'm playing to paint, if that makes any sense :blink:

I paint for enjoyment, but I enjoy using my painted creations as well. For a while I went with Cardboard Heroes for simplicity, number of characters/creatures available for cheap, and weight factor, but they still cannot hold a candle to the time and effort put into using a mini I took the time to paint portraying my characters or npcs.

Now, for games other than fantasy, or when I have creatures that are either too numerous or not represented by my collection, then I'll fall back onto my Cardboard Heroes for salvation. Also, I don't worry overmuch if my CH's take abuse or get knocked over from over-zealous (I KNOCKED HIM OUT!!) players, while with my painted figures I'm likely to knock out the player for such an act.

I don't game at all really, but I have played one game of

warhammer using some of my painted minis. I got into minis becuase 1st) I like model railroads but don't have space 2) History major (like the historical, folk, and mythology angle of the miniatures), 3Love the artwork

Anyhow, what I would like to know is, will this poll change in any way Reaper's future production? I hope they continue to put out Townsfolk and such...

Actually, Reaper started putting out the Townsfolk packs because so many people on here were clammering for some. The ReaperPeeps do care about what the masses want and are looking for.

I still need to pick up some of those townsfolk, even if they are for cannonfodder.

"I still need to pick up some of those townsfolk, even if they are for cannonfodder." (see above)

I never understood that really, I always figured most people were playing DnD with reaper's minis, seems like townsfolk and such would be an intergral part of a scenario, I also wonder why Reaper has never issued a town guard set or a royal family of sorts.

I would be interested in seeing "what games are being played?" in the next unofficial survey.

What Poll?

I paint for enjoyment and every once in a while for gaming. I like the plastic figs for gaming cause you can toss them in a bag and forget about them, no need for special carrying cases. I GM and travel so sometimes there is a lot to carry. I am currently painting my players PCs.

Depends on the kind of game you run.  Really, if I need a townsfolk standin it's because someone started a fight in a town square, or in an inn, or in a tavern (or, such as one case, a temple  <_< ).

Not all groups are willing to wait for the orcs to the pillage and plunder the townsfolk. Having commoners is great when the players decide since they saved the town, it's their town anf thier turn to pilliage; or when a Demon has Mass Charm. It makes things real fun when the Fireball fanatic gets to show his true colors to the Paladin ::):

Round 1 Pyromancer Vs. Angry Mob

Round 2 Pyromancer Vs. Paladin

I have to agree with Tommy regarding why I paint. It is always for fun. What I do with the painted figures after however is a different matter. Almost always it if for roleplaying. Now, though, I have to paint for Warlord. You evil people. I love you guys.

I started collecting miniatures for roleplaying.

I decided one day to try my hand at painting one about 18 months ago.

I got hooked. I love it. If I never played another RPG or Warlord again (not likely, but this is a hypothetical) I would probably still paint.

When I first started roleplaying/gaming, the group I joined was using painted minis in their campaigns. That was 25 years ago. Wow! Has it been that long ago? ::o:

Seriously, with my limited abilities at painting, I paint for use in gaming although I don't game near as much any more. But there is pleasure and enjoyment in painting minis and I can still imagine gaming situations where they could be used.

rm