Regarding Ed's Poll...

Human-Machine

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been roleplaying alot longer than I've been painting. I never used minis for RP games or played wargames until I started hanging around Reaper a few months or so ago. I started painting about 2 years ago because my nephew played WH40K and I just thought the minis looked cool, said Hey I wanna make those! Back then I painted just cause I liked it and if one looked like something I could use in an RP game(HERO all the way!) sometime more the better. Most of the last several figs I've worked on are for either Warlord or CAV but I'll still paint some solely because I like them, whether I plan to use them in any kind of game or not.

My priority purchases are for minis that appeal to me the most...this is probably why my army's are extremely half-arsed and take forever to complete (if they are completed at all). Playing isn't a priority. Painting occurs sporadically. I suppose you could say I neither care much for painting or playing :P It's the acquiring of minis that I really enjoy the most. Strange I know.

Without the gaming, I wouldn't ever have picked up painting figures in the first place. Almost all of my minis are painted to be used in one game or another (at least ostensibly). There are some I paint for games I play maybe once or twice a Year (GW's Inquistor figs, but they're just so pretty) and figures I paint because I need the for an army I'm extending for some specific event, but since it's all part of one big hobby for me it's all for pleasure.

Yeah, now that I have finished my mini exchange piece, I have one figure I am painting for someone in my gaming group that I promised I would do forever ago. Almost done with this, just need to do some detail work.

Then I do not paint anything that isn't a Reven for the foreseeable future.

Well, except for a mini for my new Thursday night game. He will be a nice break from orcs and gobbies. Oh yeah, I need to figure out which mini I will be using for him too I guess. Oh yeah and the mini for my brother for his new character. And... And... And...

When I paint my figures, they are usually for gaming use too.

I paint them though because I like to paint.

If I didn't enjoy painting, I'd just be using shiny silver figures for gaming like I used to do.

I paint for fun and enjoyment, I buy figures for gaming. I am guessing this is a category where a lot of us fall into. I can't imagine too many people that spend the time and effort to paint, and hate it. It would seem that they would not stick with this hobby too long if they felt that way.

I paint mostly for the enjoyment of it (and to get to the point where I can paint like some of the people I've bought minis from - VikingLodge, Jester, PaintMinion, Skya, etc).

In most cases, when I've painted a mini to represent a character from a D&D game, the game is long over by the time the mini is actually done.

I am starting to go the other direction, since I'm painting, I've started to look at maybe playing some of the games I've bought figures from (Warlord, WarGods of AEgyptus, Warmachine - seems like all the minis games that start with "war" and don't continue with "hammer" ::D: )