Cav2b Flamer question

SaintRigger

Am I understanding that with a flamer you can drop a string and bend it around to fit your whim?

So for example, 3 CAV end up in a row- like a baddie, one of your mates and another baddy.. like this: U B M B

You can just drop a string and curve it around and completely miss your mate? Or in another situation, just whip it around to hit only enemies in a big furball? (Provided they aren't in melee)

This just seems like weird and unrealistic behavior for a flamer in my mind... more like a guided monofilament whip or something...

I think a flamethrower should be a straight line, or a teardrop shaped template as that is how it behaves, and it reflects the dangers of unleasing a torrent of flaming fuel in the direction of baddies and possibly your friend. Adds an element of strategy as far as positioning units and makes you think if you really want to do that or not. I do like the fact that it kills tough infantry and causes a dis check if it doesn't. (noone likes to be lit on fire)

Or simply refer to it as a different weapon system. Any other thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think of it as a controlled release of whatever flaming fluid is being used in the 23rd century. Having played loads of other wargames and dealing with all the special rules about what happens when friendly models fall under the flamer template, and which models are hit, I think that the way flamers are handled in the rules was a refreshing take on the concept.

I do think flamers are underpowered, especially considering that ones mounted on vehicles with nozzles as big as a man are just as effective as the ones toted by infantry, but I've addressed that elsewhere.

I kind of have problems with such selective targeting too. Flamethrowers are area of effect weapons and woe unto anything in the way. I think of it as a garden hose with a nozzle on it. I can make the water go some pretty selective places but not when I initially squeeze the trigger. It makes no sense whatsoever to be able to lay down the path of the flamer effect before you pull the trigger.

How about this, you can lay out the string in any fashion up to X inches away.

Any targt between you and the string is hit.

If the string can be looped over the target, +1 to pow for each loop ( need a lil extra to cook them ) up to a max of +2.

Anything between you, and any point on the string is hit.

After another day of testing yesterday we'd have to say that we like the string but if the string must go, we'd rather see it go back to round templates. It was just so much easier than the alternatives.

We did play with a round template that at 6 inches away also included everything in a line back to the firing model (which created a cone type area of effect similar to the 40K flame template) and we liked that best.