Sign in to follow this  
Gr1fter

Rock Textures

Greetings, this is my first post so we'll see how I go.

What I am wanting to achieve is a rock texture that would be useful for a base or golems. Having some old plastic mini laying around from old games I thought it would be fun to turn them into statues or golems. I am trying to figure out how to best layer the paints to get a marble effect or a sand stone effect. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear about them.

If I get it to work I'll show the results.

Thanks.

You may want to try this approch . Do a base coat of a leather colour. then using a toothbrush dip it into some thinned out paint of browns creams whites or whatever and with bristles facing up ,rub a popcycle stick over the bristlels away from model causeing a the paint to be flung towards the model. If done right this will produce a stiple effect. I highly recomend testing this procedure on a scrape piece of papper prior to spraying the model. 3-4 differant colours sould be more than enough to produce a stone or sand like apperance. Experimentimg is the key

Also you may also want to try this on any thing stone to get a granite look to it

Hope this helps

Ken Derskon

Hee. I recently added this rock tutorial to my site and had plans to go through marble and sandstone textures, but unfortunately haven't had time to complete it due to various workloads lately. Two things in particular I wanted to do were to link to Laszlo's site and offer an alternative technique for doing marble, and then to show how to do a true red/pink sandstone effect (I always like to link to the masters for the original technique; after all it is on the shoulders of others that we become better. Or something like that. Plus there's no reason to repeat a lesson when they've done it exceptionally well to begin with. <g> )

For sandstone, the basic method is to basecoat in a shade similar to GW Snakebite Leather, drybrush up to a bone colour, and then use a brush to stiple parallel bands of alternating red/brown colours for the streaks. Finally, you take a finer brush and add some crooked lines of a deeper brown banding. It's actually not hard... you just have to play around with it to get a good effect. The real trick is properly wrapping and scaling it for the rock surface you're painting.

Unless you mean sandstone like you'd see in Egyptian excavations... that's basically the same thing minus the red/brown banding and with slightly more yellow highlighting.

Hope that helps,

Kep