B&Y ribbon problems

Ravenstar

Hi all .My first posting here at the scupting area. I am a sculptor by trade , mostly larger peaces in clay or wax , then converted into resin castings.

I've tried to use the Blue /yellow ribbon many times , but I keep running into the same problem every time. I always have to scrape the inside of each color out to get a clear mix and I get very little out of each pack and spend an annoying amount of time doing this. I always find a skin on both the blue and yellow , but mainly on the yellow. I always cut away the center and then have to skin the yellow , which always leaves more blue. If I mix it evenly with out removeing the skin , the skin will just not blend. So I end up giving up and going back what I am use to. the only problem with that , is it is very hard to find someone who can convert resin , or plastic into metal.

has anyone else had this problem ? if so how did you get past it?

big thanks for any help .

chris

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They also sell the Kneadatite as two separate lumps (as opposed to the ribbon form) which will keep the two parts from reacting.

Maybe you need to get fresher greenstuff, that could be why it skins and won't mix well (I also keep mine in the freezer).

sound like someone sold you some old greenstuff. Try to find a more reputable store next time and keep the stuff in the freezer. The product now comes in tubes that keep both colours seperate. Avoid the 36" ribbon if possible, the seller will likly have an old supply they want to get rid of.

I've had my Kneadatite for a few years now, but I don't have that problem. One thing I do extra is I bag mine and force out all the air.

So, Ravenstar, have any plans on doing a 1/2500 Romulan Bird of Prey (from ST: TOS) anytime in the future? I'd love to get my hands on one of those in that scale...

Or how about a V-7 Romulan cruiser...

Damon.

Well at least I'm not the only one who had this problem. I use Milliput a great deal , but it will not with stand the molding process for metal casting.

thanks for asking , but not at this time , but good news for you ,there is a company that produces the V-7 Whitewind, check this forum for it and other 2500th scale models.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/php...t=21657&start=0

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...8508&uid=657989

the web site to order from.

http://hometown.aol.com/odysseyslipways/index.html

hope that helps.

I've had that problem before as well, though in my case, it was with the blue/white putty. I called Ploymeric Systems about the problem and they said that over time some of their putty will develop a plastic-like skin. I suspect it has something to do with being too close to the cureing agent. They said you can help prevent this by keeping it in the freezer. Well, I dont like freezeing stuff, so I got some of the green/yellow putty in seperate containers. So far, I've had it for a few months and it's not developed any kind of skin atall. And there's alot less waste, since I dont have to seperate the two parts by cutting out a spine like with the strips. They also make a brown/white putty which comes in a small case like the blue/white but is actualy two seperated strips, so that removes the problem of it starting to react, though it usualy comes in smaller amounts since it's generaly used for very fine detail work.

A tip that should come in handy with the greenstuff when you dont have much of it. If you're working on something large, try useing some of that cheap oven-bake putty like Sculpey to to the largest part of the sculpture, and save the greenstuff for the detailed work. It tends to be a bit more brittle than greenstuff, but when filling out things around a half inch thick, it should be strong enough for casting. Just remember to bake it before adding the greenstuff.