Sign in to follow this  
Jubilee

Actions with mixed troops..

Okay, here's the scenario:

A group of grunts w/ tough and their leader have a cleric with them. Everyone moves, and then the grunts & leader charge. The cleric stays. On the defensive attack, one of the grunts is knocked down (not dead), so the cleric is then activiated to bandage him.

Is that right? Can you have the cleric simply hold and then go after everyone else if needed?

If that's legal, then how come I can't choose to have half my archers in a unit go first, see if they manage to kill the person(s) screening the leader, cleric, or whoever in a troupe, and try to kill him with my remaining archers?

If I have a mage in a group of melee people, can she fire a spell, then have everyone move and the remainder of the group charge into melee combat?

thanks,

/ali

All combat actions of the same type happen together. All Shooting. All Melee. All Casting. However you can mix and match that as you see fit. Your cleric example is legal. The archers splitting up is not since all shooting happens together. However you could shoot. If there were still bad guys left, you could charge in and melee. Then cast spells to repair your wounded afterwards.

You could always have your archers fire a couple of shots and have a Magic User pop off a spell to finish the stragglers. Even better - drop a Firestorm. Unconsious models will be immolated; so much for that toughness check.

Actually, this example shows why Golden Eagle's example of multiple unitis with a few archer each is so powerful.

You activate one group of archers and take your shots. On the next activation, your other group of archers can pop off any stragglers. If there is a multi-track creature that was hit last round, he is now easier to hit.

Jubilee, yes, it is leagle, but you could not have had another spell caster casting spells at another time in that turn. i.e.

If your mage had cast bless before melee, then the cleric could not cast bandage after melee. Spell casting is done for that turn.

If I have a mage in a group of melee people, can she fire a spell, then have everyone move and the remainder of the group charge into melee combat?

Yes, The Mage Casts its spells, the rest of the troop moves and resolves combat.

Another legal example; The Mage Casts its spells, the mage moves back as the rest of the troop moves and resolves combat.

Or another legal example: Mage moves up front to get LoS, Archers move next to him to get LoS, Cleric moves behind archers, Cleric casts Bless, Mage casts Fireball, Archers shoot, Warriors charge forward to engage remaining enemy models.

Or another legal example: Mage moves up front to get LoS, Archers move next to him to get LoS, Cleric moves behind archers, Cleric casts Bless, Mage casts Fireball, Archers shoot, Warriors charge forward to engage remaining enemy models.

Wow, Meng, that's brutal...

Gonna have to try it. :devil:

I agree that when it's a mixed group of models (melee, archers, spellcasters, elites...) that it DOES BECOME CONFUSING. That's a problem inherent with the "multiple" actions allowed and not having all models conducting the same types of actions; I would have much preferred a mechanic whereby there was only ONE action and the various options were inclusive with that action (i.e.: I charge & reach opponent... I get to swing). The Warlord mechanic seems to be taking longer to get used to for me.

Personally I find it a little easier when performing things one action at a time. Technically we're supposed to declare our actions before doing any movements/actions. We just declare "intentions" then conduct our first actions. Once completed we then try to complete our declared "intentions" by using our second actions with models who've yet to complete their type of actions.

If any archers shot in the first action sequence then technically you couldn't have any others shoot in the second action sequence. I'm not convinced this is how it was meant to be, but... I digress.

I hope something in this text helped clarify your question/confusion.

If any archers shot in the first action sequence then technically you couldn't have any others shoot in the second action sequence. I'm not convinced this is how it was meant to be, but... I digress.

Glad you're not convinced because this isn't quite how it works. There is nothing that says all models in the troop must complete their first actions, then they must complete their second actions. You can mix and match as in the example I just gave. Now for a simpler example:

You have two archers that have LoS to the enemy, and two whose LoS is blocked by a wall. The latter two can take their non-combat actions to move and get LoS. All four can take combat actions to shoot. Then the former two that didn't move can take their non-combat actions to move and take cover behind the wall. (This is a good way to keep half your forces unexposed, yet still allow everyone to attack each turn.)

Thanks for the clarifications guys.. I understand better how and why it works and how actions are defined. ;)

/ali

I understand that some models may be conducting ranged combat during their 1st action while the other archers in the same troop might be conducting ranged combat at the same time, albeit during their second action.

I'm mostly just agreeing that it gets a bit complicated when there's a whole mess of miniatures...

Just something different to get used to.

A group of grunts w/ tough and their leader have a cleric with them. Everyone moves, and then the grunts & leader charge. The cleric stays. On the defensive attack, one of the grunts is knocked down (not dead), so the cleric is then activiated to bandage him.

everyone is saying this is legal but by my understanding of the rules it isnt...

if the grunts move and then charge.. why is there a defensive strike? i thought the grunts would have to attack for there to be a defensive strike.. which they couldnt do if they have already moved twice... ? what am i missing here? :wacko:

A group of grunts w/ tough and their leader have a cleric with them.  Everyone moves, and then the grunts & leader charge.  The cleric stays.  On the defensive attack, one of the grunts is knocked down (not dead), so the cleric is then activiated to bandage him.

everyone is saying this is legal but by my understanding of the rules it isnt...

if the grunts move and then charge.. why is there a defensive strike? i thought the grunts would have to attack for there to be a defensive strike.. which they couldnt do if they have already moved twice... ? what am i missing here? :wacko:

hmmm... I'll be damned... Matey is right <_<

The discribed scenario would require three actions to cause a defensive strike

1. initiatial move

2. the grunts and the leader charging (which only them into base contact)

3. then the attack that would cause the defensive strike

Nice catch Matey :bday: