Sign in to follow this  
Kheprera

Pinning

My last highly pinned project was a wooden ship the WASA.(Estimate 800hrs)

Could you posta pic of the ship?  I've a model ship Jones ya see, though I have yet to convinve myself to spend the bucks for nice model.

I usually pin pieces that have a lot of weight to them but for smaller pieces like hands and heads I do not pin. For pins I use a non-flexiable paper clip that requires me to use wire clippers to cut. To drill the holes I use both a pin vise and a power drill. I started using the power drill while assembling my 2 LOTR Cave Trolls. You have to be careful when using a power drill. I just had my first mishap while assembling a Spider Centaur where I drilled all the way through the spider body and into my index finger. :(

I will need to break out the greenstuff to patch up the hole in the spider centaur.

Decado

Could you posta pic of the ship?  I've a model ship Jones ya see, though I have yet to convinve myself to spend the bucks for nice model.

Morgramen

Tried a few pictures to show pinning detail. Just crap.

Buddy promised to try his new digital camera???

I will keep trying.

Buying a big kit was my first mistake. I normally srcatch build.

I garbaged most of the plywood pieces and the planking was marginal at best. The brass kit was excellent. The ship is not complete, working on the standing rigging.

I do not get to this site often, only caught this post by accident.

I recently got a pin vice and it's as hard to use as I imagined.  I'm not good with tools so I don't know why I thought it would be easy.  I even broke of the bits that came with it the first day.  None of the holes I drilled were deep enough (I'd get to a certain depth and it'd just stop), always seemed too wide, no matter which bit I used, and the holes didn't line up ever.  So I ended up just drilling a couple shallow holes and using a ton of super glue.  At least the arm on my Lupine Rager hasn't fallen off yet.

Oh well....

PS does anyone know where I can get replacement bits? I don't know the diameter, the bits aren't marked in any way.

I recently got a pin vice and it's as hard to use as I imagined.  I'm not good with tools so I don't know why I thought it would be easy.  I even broke of the bits that came with it the first day.  None of the holes I drilled were deep enough (I'd get to a certain depth and it'd just stop), always seemed too wide, no matter which bit I used, and the holes didn't line up ever.  So I ended up just drilling a couple shallow holes and using a ton of super glue.  At least the arm on my Lupine Rager hasn't fallen off yet.

Oh well....

PS does anyone know where I can get replacement bits? I don't know the diameter, the bits aren't marked in any way.

What kind of pin vice did you get? It shouldn't be all that difficult. New drill bits can be found at HobbyTown USA.

Now, for the problem of the bit stopping... what you need to do is drill for a bit, pull out, clean the metal from the bit, and drill some more, pull out, clean, drill. If too much metal buildup occurs in the threads of the bit it can't get a good bite anymore. Take it slow and easy, and don't press too hard. You want only enough pressure so the bit will continue to drill down.

What kind of pin vice did you get? It shouldn't be all that difficult. New drill bits can be found at HobbyTown USA.

Now, for the problem of the bit stopping... what you need to do is drill for a bit, pull out, clean the metal from the bit, and drill some more, pull out, clean, drill. If too much metal buildup occurs in the threads of the bit it can't get a good bite anymore. Take it slow and easy, and don't press too hard. You want only enough pressure so the bit will continue to drill down.

I don't know the brand name (threw away the package).  It doesn't have a swivel head on it so that I can press it with my palm and turn it easily.  That may be my mistake.  The hobby shop where I bought it has replacement bits, but for the moment I've put the vice aside and I just drop tons o glue when I want something to stick.  I don't do conversions yet so that's not a big deal.  Though I am thinking of putting all my minis on 25mm square based to give em a uniform look.  That would mean lots o Dremmeling and maybe some drilling.

We shall see.

I found out somewhere else about cleaning the bit.  That didn't seem to make a difference in how deep I could drill though.  I also had a problem keeping the thing steady, it liked to wobble, thus making the hole larger than intended.