Sign in to follow this  
ChromeD

Faction Discussion: Overlords

Since lesser factions are developing own tactics to undermine our flow of wealth, we should start our own thread to confront this obvious threat!

Ok! I'm new overlord and I need some tips about tactics and formations. If there are any yahoo etc. groups about warlord or overlords I would really appreciate info. My soon to be fielded army is Rackham and Chronopia proxies and I'm against freelance company and who knows what ::P: .

First question, should I place my crossbowman behind bondslave or warrior? or should I leave it without benefits of ranked skill?

Question two; are chevaliers any good? I love the idea of fast and furious cavalry, especially in thight alleys of urban area where they are especially fast. I'd like to have two of them in my army because I believe that one is a annoying thing but two individuals makes them tactically flexible and threatening units (two cards for activation, and one kills trooper from front of mage and second can charge the mage from distance)

Well, thats it for today!

Tips for today: Teach kid to hate the would be owner so he would escape from them... and sell them again :grr:

I always keep my crossbowmen behind a screen of troops. Not just for ranked but to keep the other guy from engaging them. Their 3 RAV is too good to let fall easily. I usually have my crossbowmen spread out during an advance. This allows me some opportunities to shoot at the enemy regardless of what he/she is doing (i.e., which side of the field they are moving forces). When I get within 18" of most of the enemies forces I then draw my x-bowmen closer together trying to keep at least 3" between them (been a victim of flamestrike once too often) while trying to keep meelee grunts between them and the enemy. Don't be afraid to waste turns re-positioning with no attacks.

As for onyx chevaliers (or black chevrolet as I call mine), I like them. I try to use it to engage enmy archers as soon as possible. Helps keep down the attrition as I Move my troops into combat. If the enemy archers are to well shielded by other troops, I try to position so as to be able to slam into the flanks of engaged troops.

These tactics have worked for me, but if you are fighting elves a whole new set of tactics need to be applied. But it is too early and my coffee is yet to hit the bloodstream as my probable typos and incoherent thoughts will attest.

Cheers!

Definitely rank them behind Warriors. A warrior screen in front of a troop of Crossbowmen is a force to be rconned with. Just watch out for the Elves and their freakin volley. THAT'S were the Chevaliers come into play. The Archer Neutralizers!!!

And don't discount the power of the mob. Iks with a troop of 18 Bondslaves can be very, very nasty. :devil:

Black Chevrolet... I like it! maybe I should paint a fifties chevy logo to his shield. Oh yeah, I'll give him a lance and call him Impala ::D:

Can I mix, say 10 warriors with sergeant with mob skill and add max mob slaves to their unit? I think both of them is safer with the other (warriors might live longer if opponent decides to kill easiest targets and bonds could live if harder targets are preferred first)

Definitely rank them behind Warriors.  A warrior screen in front of a troop of Crossbowmen is a force to be rconned with.  Just watch out for the Elves and their freakin volley.  THAT'S were the Chevaliers come into play.  The Archer Neutralizers!!!

And don't discount the power of the mob.  Iks with a troop of 18 Bondslaves can be very, very nasty.  :devil:

If you want a nasty troop, put Iks in with his 9 bond slaves, then add in 5 Xbows and 5 spearmen. Those reach units bolster the bondslaves, and give them a very reasonable MAV. And of course, ranked Xbows are delightful.

I've recently become a huge fan of the Totem of Battle for the Overlords. All those cheap bondslaves become killing machines. +1 MAV for the slave, +1 for the spearman, +1 for the totem... Then once the line starts to break the horde of bondslaves flows all around, and you can quickly get a rout going.

I have a plan for the elf archers (or any archers, really) but I have yet to implement it. Teleport the Onyx Golem right into the middle of the formation, and let him tear it apart. Back him up with a Chevy or two as follow ons, and again with the routing. As an added bonus you can cast Speed on the Chevy, and he'll move up to 36" in one activation.

I need to get a Darkslip into my army, and see what fun I can have there.

PS

actually I found that the best defense against elves is to load up on xbowmen. I took an army of just xbowmen vs the elves and took them out 999-597. You'll most assuredly lose men until you come into range, but when you do the elves fall very easily to xbows.

Keep in mind that vs archery your warriors only have 1 better defense than your xbowmen. Also keep in mind that their archers hit your xbowmen on 7s or better. Xbowmen hit elven warriors on 6s and archers on 4s.

Have fun, and when you want to play with a cool faction try out the Darkspawn.

Figured that with all of the faction discussing goin' on here I'd revive the Overlord Thread. ^_^

Anyways, what I've found to be a good tactic (though rather expensive in point terms) is to load Ymrilix up with a Greater Magic Armor and Greater Magic Weapon. With that youve got a 7MAV and a pretty beefy 13DV. Use the tactic that Storminator recommended with Teleport, but on Ymrilix. In Storm's plan, the Golem may have to wait for your opponent to act before attacking, since its a solo (depending on the init cards), but as long as you have Ymrilix and Balthon in the same troop (most likely if you use Ashkrypt as the troop leader) you can activate Ymrilix as soon as hes Teleport'ed.

Please don't give Storm any fresh ideas, I may have to face him next weekend. ::D:

Too late! I already tried that one. Of course I flubbed the Teleport roll and had to move into combat the old fashioned way...

But the tourney, with 750 points, giving Ym the GMW is too expensive. Nice, but too expensive. I give him the LMA and give the Improved Defense to an Onyx Chevy. That makes 'em both pretty tough, and it's a nice 1-2 punch.

My newest plan is to Teleport Ym into the leader of a troop, carve him to little bits, then have the Chevy Shock and First Strike any stragglers. I'm hoping the Chevy can beat down a couple guys, and terrorize the rest into clumping up.

We'll see...

PS

No peeking you non-0verlords types! What happens in Craclaw, stays in Craclaw!

Stormy! Were you playing against Nefsokar or something? Balthon's teleports of frinedly models are flawless unless he's wounded or something. :blink:

No peeking you non-0verlords types! What happens in Craclaw, stays in Craclaw!

Stormy! Were you playing against Nefsokar or something? Balthon's teleports of frinedly models are flawless unless he's wounded or something. :blink:

Not sure about that. Partial text of spell:

For Friendly Models, this spell is resolved as a Non-

Attack spell. No additional modifier or bonus is applied

to the Cleric Model in resolving this spell. (emphasis added)

I took that to mean you don't get the +2. That could be incorrect, but that's how I read it. Since I'm the only one in the house that has a level 3 cleric, I'm the only one it affects negatively.

PS