Primer recomendations

twjolson

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Armoury brand of white primer personally. I bought a can of GW stuff awhile back (cuz that's all that Warp sells and you can't get spray cans in the mail), and it was allright, though I found it to be very stinky, and rather "powdery".

Once in while you can find a can of Armoury in Warp II, but otherwise, I gotta stock up when I head to the Sentry Box.

I also tried the white primer (it comes in other colours though) from Michaels... Master Series or something like it. It's made specifically for floral arrangmeents, so you can also use it on your foam terrain with no worries (I always chuckle when GW says you have to coat your foam before spraying... they must not have access to a Michaels...) It works well too, and only costs about half as much as a can of GW white. (Somewhere around 6 bones IIRC.) I have only used it recently however, so am not sure about the longeivity of it or anything of that sort.

I am very happy with Floquil white figure primer. Probably not the choice to go for if cost is a major issue (about $5 for a small can), but it is a great choice if the quality of the primer is more important than price. It is far more tolerant of non-ideal temperature or humidity than the Armory grey primer I started with.

Rustoleum Painter's Touch Sandable Primer.

Available at most hardware stores. It's cheap. It goes on smooth. It's a big can for like 3 bucks. It really stands up to abuse well. Never had an issue with humidity (unless it was actually raining out) or temperature so far.

Okay, I will second Floquil White Spray primer is great for display quality minis. It goes on so thin and so smooth. However, it's not quite as durable as Krylon, but as long as you overcoat well, there should be no problem.

My current preferred primer is Tamiya Fine Spray Primer. This stuff is very tough when fully cured. I'm still comparing it to Floquil, but so far, it seems every bit as smooth. This primer will leave no texture on your mini. Remember that the label must have 'Fine Spray Primer' because the have regular spray primers too. You want the one that says Fine. Like Floquil, its a bit pricey. The can is slightly bigger than a Testors can but smaller than a regular spray. My last can cost $7.

I recently picked up something by Mr. Hobby, which I believe it made by Gunze, but I can't remember the name. So far, it seems like the same formula as Tamiya.

Krylon is pretty good, better than Armory or GW in my opinion, and it's cheap. I still only use it for terrain and stuff, never my display quality minis.

I've had a bear of a time finding black primer. Are you using just a flat black spray, or is it specifically Primer? I've taken to just using dark grey, which serves it purpose well.

Weird, I always find black. Everywhere I go, they are out of white and all they have is black.

I've had a bear of a time finding black primer.  Are you using just a flat black spray, or is it specifically Primer?  I've taken to just using dark grey, which serves it purpose well.

Weird, I always find black. Everywhere I go, they are out of white and all they have is black.

Hmm, must be that subsection in Murphy's law about "availability being inversely proportionate to need."

After five years and trying about five different brands of primer in all three colors I stick with GW black and armory white. I have gotten the most consistently good results with these two.

Hey, go with what works for you. Ironically, those are the two that have worked least well for me. I swear Armory was better like 12 years ago, it seemed like they changed formulas or something... Maybe I just got more picky as I got older. I've found that even Krylon goes down smoother and more durable than either.

Still, for anyone doing a display mini, I recommend trying Floquil Spray or Tamiya Fine Spray at least one. I cannot even explain how impressed and surprised I was when I compared it to GW and Krylon.

For those going to Reapercon 2005, it would be interesting to compared primed miniatures... Everyone could show off their favorite primer and compare results.

I use mostly GW black and white and have only had a "grainy" problem once. That was the humidity I think. That was also the white. Never had any problems with black. Matter of fact, I just used the dregs of a can of GW black that had been sitting in my garage for over a year I bet, through winter and summer and back to winter. Just made sure I cleared the nozzle, shook it A LOT, it went on fine. Even though it was about 25 degrees F in my garage.