WL troop construction type program?

Spike

I use the Army Builder file for Warlord and have been pretty pleased with it. You have to dink around with it to figure out how to assign equipment to models and how you set up a troop but once thats figured out it gets the job done.

The AB printout is really nice for newbies and running demo's and such because everything is well organized and readable. Of course, AB files are only as good and current as the programmer who builds the file and when new rules come out there is a certain amount of lag time between the rules release and the AB file update.

What a lot of folks don't realize is that Lone Wolf Studios (maker of AB) generally don't make the files for games, they depend on their customers to do it and submit the file back to LW for others to use. These files are almost always a labor of love for some programmer (the scripting language that AB uses is pretty challenging to use if you don't have at least some programming background).

Regards,

Dave

Lone Star Historical Miniatures

http://www.lshm.org

Drop by for a virtual visit!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been kicking around the idea of making a website for this very thing. It would allow people to create an account, to build/edit/track their armies. I wasn't sure if I'd be allowed to make it public. It'd be an ASP front end against a SQL Server backend. Probably take me 2-3 days to build the whole thing, since I'd be able to steal code from a lot of my other web sites for it.

The only thing I'd have a problem with is formatting a 'Print View', since it's darn near impossible to determine were to output page breaks on a dynamic web page.

How about we throw open the floodgates and have everyone post some features they'd like to see. I'll see about whipping something up on the *ugg* 5 hour drive to my brother's house (hi vince!) for x-mas. Don't worry, my wife would be driving (hi angela!)

My other websites I've built in the past 2 years:

www.brainburst.com

www.playordraw.com

www.vsuniverse.com

www.duelyugioh.com

www.beatingpoker.com

wc3.warcraftstrategy.com

www.swgcenter.com

I've been doing a lot of Java programming at work, and I've been thinking about writing such a program in Java. With 1.5 out, priting and graphics have greatly improved. And with Java's new program management features, download and install is a snap.

I'm also looking for a Prolog style library written in Java, so I can write a constraint solver, to determine if the armies made are 'correct'.

Using Java would let it run on a lot of systems. It's a lot better than the early Java days.

Any quilters out there? What intrest is there in a Java based Quilting program? :)

Gus, your idea for a page seems more or less what I was trying to do, only you seem to know what you are doing (unlike me)

I mean no disrespect to the creators of Army Builder at all. I'm sure it's a nice bit of software. I was just thinking though that a just-Reaper version might be a nifty thing.

Anyway, printout would be nice, and even "accounts" where members can store their army lists.. and kudos to you if you can work out how to make it disqualify "illegal" armies.

So... go for it dude!

Gus, your idea for a page seems more or less what I was trying to do, only you seem to know what you are doing (unlike me)

I mean no disrespect to the creators of Army Builder at all. I'm sure it's a nice bit of software. I was just thinking though that a just-Reaper version might be a nifty thing.

Anyway, printout would be nice, and even "accounts" where members can store their army lists.. and kudos to you if you can work out how to make it disqualify "illegal" armies.

So... go for it dude!

Keeping it 'Reaper Only' makes the maintenance a breeze. Prinouts are easy if a person can live with the page breaks not always being perfect.

Definately has to have accounts for people to save/edit their armies. I'd throw in an option to make each army Public/Private. I'd have a 'Search other people's armies' page, where you could see everyone's public armies. The private option would be for people who don't want others looking at their armies.

The tricky part would indeed be the army validation. You don't want to prevent people from entering invalid armies, but it would be nice for people to see if their army was valid or not, and perhaps a list of what parts of it are invalid. Army validation wasn't included in my original 2-3 day timeline. That'll count as scope creep. :lol:

I'll be bringing my laptop with me for the drive, and I'll see what I can get done. I've already got the database set up and a couple of pages started. It goes pretty quick when you've written code 50-60 hours a week for the past 6 years! :upside: