My Ten Year High School Reunion

Enchantra

Alright tonight is my Ten year high school class reunion. It's being held at a fairly upscale nightclub/bar in Rochester's High Falls District.

So, I have decided that this is my time to get even.

Even you say? Yes. Most of the people who I graduated with were very nasty people. They thought nothing of putting me down. Heck if it had been a sport they would have had a Gold Medal Event the day nine boys beat me up out in the front of the school.

Most of the people never thought I would ever do anything. They thought I was stupid. I thought differently than them, so I was an outcast. I was a nobody. To many of the boys at my school I was merely someone to target for daily harassment, including sexual harassment. I won't even go into how many times I was in the Principal's office because I simply had to escape the predation and it was the only safe area other than the locked art room.

These people all laughed when they heard I was going to college. They all told me I was ugly and fat. They told me that I was scum from the Earth.

By the time I left high school my self-esteem was non-existent. I had become a mean-spirited person and I hated myself. It took several years while attending College and Graduate school to build myself back up into a woman who was now strong despite what she had endured. I know now that most of them never even made it through college. I ended up with an MA. Some of them have gained weight and look heavier than me. Some of them probably haven't changed at all.

Tonight I am out to prove that you can be just as classy and sexy at 208 pounds as you can be at 110. I'm out to show them that the woman they tried to beat into the ground rose above them and became stronger for it. So tonight I am walking out the door in a knee length black velvet dress, black netted tights and black high heels. I will be wearing Make-up, And very classy Jewelry I created especially for the event.

I told another local friend of mine what I was doing, you know what he said? "Sounds to me like you want to make the men from your high school crawl on the ground drooling and wish they had never mistreated you." I laughed. I told him, "You betcha!" And you know what? They will never get me. They can grovel, but I don't want them or need them.

Revenge they say, is a very sweet thing when done properly.

No one of course gets hurt in all this, but I will have made a rather pronounced point, and had fun doing it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enchantra, I know you probably don't want to hear this right now, but... let it go. Getting revenge may be fun for the moment, but the very fact that you feel so strongly about these odious people means that they still have a hold on you. Let it go. I'm not saying to forgive and forget; from your description, if I were you I wouldn't forgive them either. I'm saying to move on because they're not important enough to care about one way or the other.

Enchantra, I know you probably don't want to hear this right now, but... let it go. Getting revenge may be fun for the moment, but the very fact that you feel so strongly about these odious people means that they still have a hold on you. Let it go. I'm not saying to forgive and forget; from your description, if I were you I wouldn't forgive them either. I'm saying to move on because they're not important enough to care about one way or the other.

Seriously you are reading to deeply into this. I'm out to have fun. I'm not out to hurt people. I could care less what they think of me now. I just want to have fun.

Tries to hum that tune she learned as a kid in the early 80's that she believe Cindy Lauper sang.."Girls, They Want to Have Fun.."

My God, it's like reading my own biography (the Junior High years; Senior high has proven incredibly kind to me). I think the high point of 7th grade was when one jock got down on his knees behind me while is buddy pushed me over his back, headfirst onto the gym floor, while my uncle, who taught gym at that school, looked on and did nothing.

The only thing that really stopped the bullying in mid-8th grade was that I became a bigger bully. By that time I was taller than most of them, and substantially heavier as well (I'm 210 lbs.) and not afraid to hit back. The downside of this tactic is that I have gained a nasty temper, and fly into a blind, berserk fury at the drop of a hat. I'm mostly in control, but there are times when I'm afraid of myself.

Most of my tormentors have dropped out, and those few troglodytes that are left come to me begging for help comprehending 9th-grade math, after they've failed it several years in a row, and the satisfaction of saying, "Why should I help you?" is the sweetest revenge I could ask for.

I'm actually semi-popular now, with friends ranging from members of the football team to the founders of the new Scrabble Club. For the first time, I've asked a girl out and not been told I'm "too ugly" to date her. However, I'm oscillating on whether I will attend my reunions. My closest friends aren't in my graduating class, and the people I dislike most are.

So I guess the point I'm meandering towards is, good for you, Enchantra. Have fun.

I went to my 10 year reunion, got drunk, realised how stuffy everyone was (and that I never hung out with 'em anyhow) and went to the bar to pick up chicks...

Yeah it was a while ago now... :devil:

Anyways, have fun and a Merry Christmas and holiday season!

I never attended my reunions. I never saw the need to try and prove anything to anyone I went to school with. None of them were worth my time except for a few who I've maintained a friendship with since.

The ones who made fun of me, looked down on me, and harrassed me have gone on to lives of their own, as I have with mine. I don't need to throw anything in their face because, frankly, they aren't worth my time or effort.

'Chantra, go and have fun, but don't expect anyone to really say much, or even remember. Most likely they're just there to see the people they were really close to in school, or to prove something to their own tormentors.

Hmm... must have been different in the great abandoned north of Alberta. Not too many stuffies or hoity-toihgties left it seemed. Most of the "poular babe-a-licious" types of the 80s were single moms (thrice over!) and the guys were either dead by their own hand cuz the free rides ended, minor criminal types, or welders.

So all in all, I'd say that reality tends to hit hard around year 5 after graduation, and the high school fairy tales rarely come true. :rock:

Some of you are seriously looking into this to deeply. Yes It's going to be nice to make a few turn their heads, but I'm going for the fun aspect really, and to meet up with a small few number of people I want to chat with.

EDIT: I just walked out into the livingroom. Dad took one look at me, blinked and said, "Hot Mama!" Coming from my father that is a compliment thrice deserved.

Good for you and have fun

I remember my 10 year very clearly, because it changed me. I was one of those people who mingled within all the social groups, but was not really a central part of any one of them. I liked it that way and would not change it. But anyway, at the ten year reunion, the lowest rung on the social ladder showed up. This was a kid who was picked on by jocks, burnouts, nerds etc. If you needed to feel better about yourself, you picked on this guy. And you can bet your last dollar someone did every single day.

In HS, I never gave it much thought, I don't think I picked on him, but I saw others do it and never even blinked. Well, at the reunion, I spent some time talking to the guy and I got a very small snap shot of what his life was like and it saddened me down to the very edges of my being. Here is a kid who woke up every day with dread. Fear of what people would say today, of who might punch or kick him as he went down the hall, might throw gum in his hair, spit on him, etc, etc. He talked about how he thought about suicide and killing students. We have all had days we dreaded, a day we knew we were in trouble, unprepared, nervous or whatever. Dread is very uncomfortable. I then imagined feeling that not only daily, but all day long to boot.

My 10 year reunion exposed me to something that I would never have otherwise thought about. When people talk about bullying and the "crazy" kids shooting other students, I now understand where those kids are coming from and am grateful that a tragedy did not happen at my school.

. . . This was a kid who was picked on by jocks, burnouts, nerds etc.  If you needed to feel better about yourself, you picked on this guy.  And you can bet your last dollar someone did every single day. 

. . .

Here is a kid who woke up every day with dread.  Fear of what people would say today, of who might punch or kick him as he went down the hall, might throw gum in his hair, spit on him, etc, etc.  He talked about how he thought about suicide and killing students.  We have all had days we dreaded, a day we knew we were in trouble, unprepared, nervous or whatever.  Dread is very uncomfortable.  I then imagined feeling that not only daily, but all day long to boot. 

I was that kid (or one of them, anyway) in my class. The only reason I did not pull a Columbine (back in the late 80's, so people would be talking about 'pulling a Central' instead) was this: my school had too many exists for me to ensure an adequate death toll.

While the kids that did the teasing were mean, what really hurt was the "good" kids who would just stand by and watch it happen. I could dismiss the bullies as immature jerks, but I lacked (and still do) the volcabulary to describe those who could have acted, but chose not to. Coward is a start, but the term doesn't do justice.

I hated school so much that I was absent as often as I could be. I thought about suicide, but I didn't want the jerks to win. So, I got through it - and hated every minute of it.

It took years to get past it. College and beyond, and even now, I have moments where I look at my life and compare mine to theirs. Of course, since I measure my life by the important things: family and friends, hobbies and joys, I think I come out pretty well in the intangibles.

I didn't attend my 10 year reunion. To be honest, it wasn't worth the price of the events, plus the travel time and what not. I might make the 15, but only because it will give my son a chance to see his grandparents. I have a few people I wouldn't mind seeing, but I don't think I'd stay too long if they aren't there.

Out of curiosity, Digital - did anyone come up and offer that kid a long overdue, sorely deserved, apology?

Actually there I know I heard a few. IMO, I think the guy used the reunion as a tool to put his past behind him. He confronted these people that were linked to such vividly horid memories and said, hey, I am over this and ready to move on.

I know it put me in a somber mood, but in the end, I am a better person and more aware of how my actions and the actions of others can impact and hurt people. I am glad I talked to him and wished him the best.

It helps remind me that people suck and we have to work hard not to suck because goodness does not come naturally.

(Reading from fortune cookie) Cofusious say, best revenge is a good life.

I went through alot of the same thing back in the late 80's during my high school years and hated almost everyone of my classmates and have memories of getting my head rammed into a locker by one of those freaky 'roid monsters on the football team while several teachers pretended not to see it.

Actualy, had a fantastic time at my ten year reunion. I looked at how much weight the guys on the football team put on and had fun tearing up the dance floor with their wives-the same snoby girls that wouldn't give me the time of day way back when. Apparently, word got around about what I was doing for a living at the time and quietly laughed at the ones who hit on me in front of their husbands. I had a good time at their expense, and honestly, was pleasantly suprised at the changed attitude towards me.