Tactics: Why your faction?

What draws you to their faction you play? What is attractive about that faction?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What draws you to their faction you play? What is attractive about that faction?

• They have this rawkin' killer backstory, and I could care less if they suck in gameplay.
    • The models appeal to me the most. They just have that... "look" to them that attracts me.
    • I'm not so much attracted to the faction as I am the fact that I feel I can win the most games by playing with them.
    • I've always played (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Religious types nuttier than a can of Planters Mixed Nuts) in every fantasy game, so darnit, I'm playing them in Warlord, too!
    • I play the faction I do because no one else does. I don't care if they suck. NO ONE ELSE IS PLAYING THEM!
    • Other.

I'm sure this has already been discussed ad nauseum, so I hope no one minds. I really hadn't planned to play Warlord until I dropped by last weekend's demo to say hi to Steve Page and Spike and ended up hooked... :blush:

How did you decide on your faction(s)? Did you pick purely for strategic reasons? Did you pick the faction that most closely fit your fighting style? Did you go with a faction because you've always loved dwarves or orcs? Or did you just pick the coolest minis?

I'm leaning towards Elves right now, both because I like their ranged attack and because the minis are freakin' sweeeeeeeeet. :wub:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked elves because I love Werner's elves. And elves in general.

I picked Nefsokar because I really like Egyptian themed stuff.

I picked Crusaders because I have a ton of the grunts.

I picked Dwarves because I like the sculpts.

Hmmm....sounds like I haven't narrowed it down yet. I'll be able to field at least those. Probably add in the Reven as well, using Confrontation Wolfen as proxies in non-official games.

I used vast scienctific formulia : enni minnie MOE!

::P:

Currently I'm building up an elven army mostly because I too like range attacks. There is nothing like killing yer enemy from the comfort and safety of many many many yards away :B):

But this might change after I finally get the rulebook in my grubby lil' hands.

I'm also thinking about starting up a dwarf army (all though I'm still trying to figure out how the fireplugs manage to get a griffon) and a Crusader army... and most likely a Reven army (I hear they got some pretty impressive archers themselves).

I picked the Crusaders and Necropolis for my demo armies because they looked like natural enemies. (And I already had some of the figs.)

I am leaning toward Darkspawn because the look like the funnest minis to paint. (and I want to make a "cage of pain")

Same with the Lupin mercs

Same with the Razigs

Same the Nefsokar

The reptus look like fun to run

Gads, I want them ALL.

Overlords, evil slave traders with mob tactics and grunt designed t die. Sounds good to me. And the reptus ebause even though their are only 5 They are wonderful sculpts to paint. I wouldn't mind doing an al Demon army but since dark spawn are dark elves (or maybe really really pale elves??) so I am avoinding them. But I generally avoid elves.

I picked the undead (particularly necropolis - but I'm sure the nefsokar aren't far behind) because I'm a firm believer in the "Crunch all you want, we'll make more" philosophy of warfare. ;)

I also am working on a crusaders force, because everyone needs some goodie-goodies to make bleed. ^_^

I am always the the army or character that clomps around with a sword or something else and kills evil without care and going to any extreme. So therefore I will be Crusaders. I cannot wait until the faction books come out so we can customize our forces more. Mine have already fled the blue and white color scheme for a much more fun red and gold color.

I picked the Crusaders and Necropolis for my demo armies because they looked like natural enemies. (And I already had some of the figs.)

I am leaning toward Darkspawn because the look like the funnest minis to paint. (and I want to make a "cage of pain")

Same with the Lupin mercs

Same with the Razigs

Same the Nefsokar

The reptus look like fun to run

Gads, I want them ALL.

Hey, you're Black Lighning - wanting all of them isn't a problem. Just do lots and lots of demos. ::D:

I don't see a problem with an AO having a lot of different faction's Fighting Companies that he or she can field, since the idea is to give other people a chance to try stuff out, find what they like and then spend big bucks getting into the hobby.

Of the eight factions I currently have models for, I personally field Elves. Love archery.

Might play some other factions, since the only ones I don't have a Fighting Company for are Darkspawn and Mercanaries. I've got a few models for those two, but not a complete troop.

If I were going to field a troop for a Convention Tournament, I'd probably do Reven, Mercs or Crusaders, for the simple reason they are the ones with the most complete selections of models in print. Wouldn't have to worry about doing a lot of work on stand-ins that would later be superceded by as-yet unprinted models.

I'm not BL, and I could probably field all of the factions that have grunts out already. That leaves out the Darkspawn and Overlords.

I think I have the minis to field a decent sized troop of all of the others. Of course, some of those are still in blisters. :-p

I chose the Crusaders and the Reptus as my two main factions. However I have considered, after finding Mossbeard half off, I will probably expand mine to include the elves.

Mercenarys will be there but only for Ranzig and his crew. I need them for an RPG campaign anyway, so why not?

I picked Crusaders 'cause they're good ^_^

My decission was purely on aesthetics. The figures appealed to me most. The others that appeal to me in order of preference would be Reven, Dwarves, Elves, Necropolis, Reptus, Mercenaries, Nefsokar, and Darspawn and Overlords. The ones I don't like are apparently an empty set.

As far as rules go, I really like Reven, and the Elves. I feel I would have the easiest time playing these two factions.

I chose Crusaders because I'm a sucker for impressive, bad-butt sculpts of knights. Dunno why. It's just the way it's always been. Having Werner and Bobby being the primary sculptors for that faction dosen't hurt either. I was hooked on them since Lord Ironraven was released. And since, the characters have just gotten better and better. Sure, the grunts are pretty expensive when compared to some of the other factions, but then again, they hit pretty hard too. So fair trade off IMO.

That, and they're not Nefsokar ( ::D: j/k, Bryan.)

Honestly, I like just about all of the Warlord minis. Since I've got my crusaders pretty much done, it's becoming difficult to decide where to go next!

Of course, all bets are off when the Darkspawn grunts come out and my girlfriend makes me paint up her long-awaited demonic horde.