Sign in to follow this  
kellinator

Tactics: Why your faction?

What draws you to their faction you play? What is attractive about that faction?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What draws you to their faction you play? What is attractive about that faction?

• They have this rawkin' killer backstory, and I could care less if they suck in gameplay.
    • The models appeal to me the most. They just have that... "look" to them that attracts me.
    • I'm not so much attracted to the faction as I am the fact that I feel I can win the most games by playing with them.
    • I've always played (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Religious types nuttier than a can of Planters Mixed Nuts) in every fantasy game, so darnit, I'm playing them in Warlord, too!
    • I play the faction I do because no one else does. I don't care if they suck. NO ONE ELSE IS PLAYING THEM!
    • Other.

I choose dwarves because of the beer! Well that and if I get lucky I might get to field a few of those cannons. Boooooom! ::):

I wont be using volley that much any-way I dont like it at all ! And I hate being on the defensive side on melee!

What does defense have to do with using Volley? Trust me, Volleys are very offensive - especially if you are playing elves.

Random twists of fate determined which faction I started with... Finally got enough storage containers and baggies to seperate my warlord figs into various factions... the two factions I'm starting with are Crusaders and Reven....

I've lucked into these because one is good and one is neutral.... I can use 'em together if necessary... that'll allow me to start small with each faction yet be able to play a larger game if pressed....

am I rambling? I'm in a rush,

Nefsokar seemed pretty unique. I liked the combination of undead and living. I also thought that painting them would be interesting. A selection of paint colors that I rarely use. That changed after painting the Avatar. It is the hardest mini I have ever painted. I am a novice. Mummies are about my current painting skill. Still improving ::P:

I ment how if you use elves that the warriors are just speed bumps for your archers so it takes your enemy longer to get to the archers

You got it - if you run Elves then your fighters are just speedbumps. As bad as they are, you are kind of stuck with Elven melee units unless you want to loose all those cool elven abilities, like Feathered Sky.

Of course, in a Campaign Setting, you could start out with crappy Elf grunts and hire butt-whooping Mercs, like the Sisters of the Blade or Wolfen.

*cough* Lupine *cough*

::D:

I'll probably use Wolfen in my merc faction as well.

yeah I get your point I dont realy care about feathered sky that much except that you dont have to *see* your target I would miss scry shot though and I dont realy care about ranger either the lupine lord does rule though

yeah I get your point I dont realy care about feathered sky that much except that you dont have to *see* your target I would miss scry shot though and I dont realy care about ranger either the lupine lord does rule though

In a normal volley, all members of the shooting group must be able to see thier target by at least a .5 inch corridor. They must have at least five members in their troop to initiate a volley at all.

Elves override this in a couple of ways. First, the Archer Hero Caerwyn has Blazer, and can direct a volley at a target only she can see. This isn't the same as the elves being able to volley at something they can't see, but it's darn close.

Feathered sky overrules the "minimum five" archer rule. It is based off of number of attacks, NOT number of archers. The minimum number of attacks is four; two normal archers sacrificing their movement could volley 36" for an AOE at the of 1". That may not sound like much, but if your enemy is in a tight formation, it could hit quite a few.

What is truely devistating is a group with Selwyn, Caerwyn, and four Vale Archers. First, all archers with the Marksman ability (that's all of them except Selwyn) use Marksman, increasing their attacks by one. That gives a total twelve attacks. With Feathered Sky, that's an AOE of 3", from up to 36" away, AND you have the option of having all the archers under cover EXCEPT Caerwyn. And if there isn't at least a .5" of view on Caerwyn from where she's posted, that's a 3" AOE volley that can't be returned, even if the targets have Defensive Shot.

A Laser Pointer for an Elven force is definately a wonderful tool.

* edit **

OK, Selwyn cannot participate in a Volley, as she does not have that ability. This group would have access to nine attacks that would contribute to a Volley, giving an AOE of 2". That assumes that all the Archers use the Marksman ability and contribute all their attacks to the volley. Caerwyn contributes one attack and acts as Blazer. Assuming she has range on one model, Cearwyn sacrifices her movement action to take one Critical Shot at twice her normal RAV. So that's as 2" volley at up to 36", and a Critical Shot at up to 30" from a troop of six (that includes Selwyn). Selwyn could take a pot-shot at something within range at an RAV of 2. Not bad for a group of six models.

I stopped by my local game shop where there was a Warlord demo going on. For reasons unknown, I won the mini tourney ::D: and received a Narg Bloodtusk blister.

Now I am building an initial Reven force to hold me over until I can get my hands on the Warlord rule book.

I normally field Dwarves, so go figure. :rolleyes: LOL

Over the last few weeks, I've fallen in love with the various big monster miniatures. Minotaurs, Ogres, Trolls, etc. I've decided to make a mostly Reven force of as many big monsters as I can squeeze in. I'll likely end up missing out on the single faction bonuses, but I think that'll be alright.

I'm also interested in the Nefsokar. Reaper's mummies have always been totally excellent and I like the idea of an Egyptian based army.

Over the last few weeks, I've fallen in love with the various big monster miniatures.  Minotaurs, Ogres, Trolls, etc.  I've decided to make a mostly Reven force of as many big monsters as I can squeeze in.  I'll likely end up missing out on the single faction bonuses, but I think that'll be alright.

I'm also interested in the Nefsokar.  Reaper's mummies have always been totally excellent and I like the idea of an Egyptian based army.

Actually you can maintain faction purity with Reven and still have orges and trolls

Orges are a part of Reven

And if you have a faction pure Reven Army you can also have trolls as a part of the Orc's special Faction abilities :poke:

Also in campaign play their are rules for hiring mercs so you can also add minotuars and lupines to yer army ^_^