Tactics: Why your faction?

What draws you to their faction you play? What is attractive about that faction?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What draws you to their faction you play? What is attractive about that faction?

• They have this rawkin' killer backstory, and I could care less if they suck in gameplay.
    • The models appeal to me the most. They just have that... "look" to them that attracts me.
    • I'm not so much attracted to the faction as I am the fact that I feel I can win the most games by playing with them.
    • I've always played (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Religious types nuttier than a can of Planters Mixed Nuts) in every fantasy game, so darnit, I'm playing them in Warlord, too!
    • I play the faction I do because no one else does. I don't care if they suck. NO ONE ELSE IS PLAYING THEM!
    • Other.

Today I bought #14033 Wraith Lord (along with a bunch of DHL minis) and got thinking about a Necropolis faction. I really like the looks of the Wraith Harvesters I almost bought them today and am now kicking myself for not doing so. :grr: My Reven faction my be put on hold...

Decado

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day, folks. I'm just taking a moment to collect some data, if you don't mind. Participation is totally voluntary, and you will be compensated with a genuine "thank you", from me. ^_^

What I wanted to know is what draws people to their faction they play. What is attractive about that faction? I'd like to know reasons behind it.

Do you play because?

1. They have this rawkin' killer backstory, and I could care less if they suck in gameplay.

2. The models appeal to me the most. They just have that... "look" to them that attracts me.

3. I'm not so much attracted to the faction as I am the fact that I feel I can win the most games by playing with them.

4. I've always played (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Religious types nuttier than a can of Planters Mixed Nuts) in every fantasy game, so darnit, I'm playing them in Warlord, too!

5. I play the faction I do because no one else does. I don't care if they suck. NO ONE ELSE IS PLAYING THEM!

6. Other.

No matter the reason you pick, give a little background information. I won't judge ya.

My reason typically is number 5. No one plays Darkspawn where I am, so I played them. I like being original. I also like to play the faction that when people see what I play, they go, "Why the hell are you playing them? THEY SUCK!" I love that. Means that if I do win with them, I get to watch them eat their foot. My preference would've been Reptus, as I and my family love lizards. We breed them. We just love 'em. But we've got a few playing them around here.

Well, I like Reven for more than the reason I picked. One - I just like the sculpts. I also love the thought of playing Orcs. Why they are Neutral is beyond me, but heck, that's okay. I most often play Elves when I roleplay, and wanted a break, besides, I figured everyone would play Elves or Crusaders. My future armies of preference will be Dwarf and Mercenary most likely.

I think another reason is that Reven have all their figures out, until an Expansion pack comes out.

I am hereby going to eat some of the words I wrote earlier. I had stated that Elven warriors were only good as speedbumps to slow the other guy down. I must now take that all back.

I played a game against a Mercanary player today, which meant he had the Lupine Lord and Lupine Rangers. My scrawny little elves handed him his head. True, the whole Elven ability of being able to fire into melee without penalty helped a lot, but the Warriors certainly proved thier mettle as well.

I had given all my Warriors Lesser Magic Armor and had them attack the larger-based Lupines in groups. It's amazing to see a bunch of Elf warriors go toe-to-toe with the Lupine Lord and take him down.

The only sad thing is the player I went up against is not registered as a player on the boards, so my victory does not count towards my standing. DARN!

Good day, folks. I'm just taking a moment to collect some data, if you don't mind. Participation is totally voluntary, and you will be compensated with a genuine "thank you", from me. ^_^

What I wanted to know is what draws people to their faction they play. What is attractive about that faction? I'd like to know reasons behind it.

I went with other because I have multiple reasons for picking my factions (I'm a closet elf player).

a. I like their "look"

b. they're nasty to play against

c. I like their background story

e. because I've always like their race.

The worst part is I know one day I'll have to choose between them

The only sad thing is the player I went up against is not registered as a player on the boards, so my victory does not count towards my standing. DARN!

Get him to register now. Then submit your battle to him, and make sure to use the right date.

There is no rule I am aware of that both participants must be registered at the time of the battle - merely when the battle is reported.

I chose Mercenaries because Orba, Nicolle and Leisynn are three of the most interesting characters in the game. Add the power of the Lupines, and the great flexibilty you get from all those unique sergeants, and the faction special abilities; you've got a pretty cool package....

The only sad thing is the player I went up against is not registered as a player on the boards, so my victory does not count towards my standing.  DARN!

Get him to register now. Then submit your battle to him, and make sure to use the right date.

There is no rule I am aware of that both participants must be registered at the time of the battle - merely when the battle is reported.

I know, I know; he's having computer issues, or so he says. Sigh. I guess the fact he keeps getting stomped by the registered players isn't much of an incentive for him to sign in...

BTW, Steven, bring on your puppy-boys. My elves had a pack of them for afternoon tea yesterday.

Of course, he didn't make effective use of the terrain to bring his crossbowmen into firing range, and he fielded a Warlord in his troop where I had a Captain and Sargent (giving me points to spend on Caerwyn, the Archer Hero).

I picked off most of his crossbowmen when they were sitting on the other side of the board, an the combination of elven warriors piling up on his Lupines while they were peppered by arrows tore up his melee fighters.

He had me worried for a bit, because he made very effective use of the terrain to bring his Lupines into fairly close range before they closed, but it still wasn't enough.

It seems that a very high percentage of the Elven and Dwarven models are sculpted by Werner Klocke and his sculpts are far and away the best in the line. They rival if not, exceed the Confrontation Lion figures. I also like both elves and dwarves, but the figs really sold me on the factions and the game.

Ranzadule

Werner's #1 Groupie.

I've always liked trolls and goblins, and have been an orc-fancier ever since the firs ttime I saw Warcraft. I've got a crush on Gragg Elfslayer, and the only thing even HALF as cool as orcs are HALF-orcs, IMNSHO.

*sigh* What's NOT to love about orcs. They're simply DREAMY! :wub:

If you don't believe me, ask Kellinator. I caught her ogling Varaug last time she came around for club-gaming.

*sigh* What's NOT to love about orcs. They're simply DREAMY! :wub:

If you don't believe me, ask Kellinator. I caught her ogling Varaug last time she came around for club-gaming.

Pervy orc fancier!! That's a filthy... that's a filthy...

<_<

Oh, all right! I admit it! After a full afternoon of skirmishes and a good bit of eggnog I did admit that Varaug has his own kind of unwashed brutish charm... don't tell Niriodel!

Ooooh... I ended up with the Elves for a ton of reasons.

1). The first time I came to a Warlord demo (originally I wasn't really planning on playing, I was just coming to say hi), Steve and Spike set me up with some Elves and I actually won my first game! Never discount the importance of that as far as psychological impact.

2). I love the sculpts.

3). I love the ranged attack. I'll just sit in the woods and fill you full of holes!

4). I like the fluff pretty well... I probably wouldn't have picked them based on the fluff alone, but I'm having some fun with it in my fanfic. We'll see if it makes the cut at ReaperGames.com (I'm waiting with bated breath).

5). I totally get the bit about "because no one else is playing them" that Lord Psilos was talking about. I likely would have gone with Dwarves (I'm more of an ale-drinkin' take-no-prisoners take-no-bullcrap gal myself... I'd likely get myself thrown out of any Elf party), but Unglef had already spoken for them and I just liked the idea of having a faction to call my own, at least in our club. It makes it a lot easier to talk smack, as you can tell from watching Spike and me snipe at each other! ^_^