What do you guys use to transport Minis?

Brumbor

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

minicase.jpg

Stuff you need:

closing tool box or bin

a several sheets of cardboard cut to slightly smaller than the bin

several sheets of 1/4" foam or bed cushion / egg crate foam

a few sheets of 1" or 1.5" thick foam [optional]

masking tape

Box lid

Extra foam for stability

Cardboard

1/ 4” Foam sheet

Minis {Small minis on 20MM bases/ pennies , Rats, Ratmen Gobbo's, dogs]

1/4” Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4” Foam sheet

Minis ( Medium Minis on 1 inch washers and bases)

1/4” Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4” Foam sheet

Minis (Big 40mm based minis, Reaper Ettin, Chainmail Owlbear, Ogres and Minotaurs)

1/4” Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4” Foam sheet

Minis {Calvary;1”x2” bases Orcs on Dire wolves, Bretonian Knights on Horseback}

1/4” Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4” Foam sheet

Minis {cheap sturdy plastic minis from box sets.}

1/4” Foam sheet

bottom of box.

Masking tape should be strong enough to hold the foam layers in place to the cardboard. Take a 5 inch piece of the tape. Connect the two end to make an O and use the tape piece as you would use double sided tape. For extra STR. I have two layers of cardboard taped together for each cardboard layer.

The design above is good for decently built and properly sealed minis, but if you don’t want a lot of pressure put on certain fragile minis, like a lot of the WotC multi pieces or a mini that has a lot of easily bent parts, try this;

Take a 1 inch or 1.5” thick layer of foam the same size as one of your layers and cut out with a sharp blade a nook for a fragile mini. Keep doing this until you have filled the sheet with nooks for fragile minis.

1” foam sheet with minis in nooks [Chainmail glaiver, musketeers with pewter rapiers.

1/4” Foam sheet

Cardboard

Back in the day when I played Rune Quest, I used to cart around 200+ figures in a card board box. I would take foam rubbber and carve out the shape of each mini. I would dig deep enough in the foam that I would make sure it is completely under the foam. I then seperated the sheets with 1/4 heavy duty card board.

I still have all of them to this day in that same box. The good thing about this that they don't ding together.

I just bought a couple of Army Transport inserts, a 3" for my CAVs and a 2" for my Warlord minis. Looks like I should be able to get about 12 CAVs in the 3" and about 24 standard size minis in the 2", all standing upright. I'm not gonna worry about the case until I need at least 1 more insert to carry with me.

Hmmm, what do I have to move mini's in? I have Chessex gray cases, GW Transport, the Battle Hive (I don't recommend these at all, unless you want a hard case for books), and the Sabol Army Transport/Platoon Transport (as seen above, the black transport). My preferance is the Sabol system, the newer Platoon and Battalion cases have the stackable option which is great, and for the space it they take up they hold tons of mini's. I also have tons of extre foam trays for this system. It's just easy.