Sign in to follow this  
bushido

Duel

Wow man ... that rocks .... I like the fact you were able to get both them on one base.

Excellent colors, excellent presentation !

Well done.

How cool like the way the spacemarine is grabbing the Banshees laspistol makes you wonder what will happen next perhaps she will let go of the pistol and teach the marine some manners ::D: Very cool.

that little lady is in deep trouble :)

No. Way.

She finishies swinging that powersword around and it's going right through that armor. . .

::P:

Eldar were the very first miniature army I painted.

Bushido

That is absolutely the nicest creamy-bone color I've ever seen. Care to share your recipe (pretty please).

I'm glad to hear that you've got your hands on PhotoShop. The bigger images make your work even more impressive.

Rex

Rex, bone is (I think) the thing I am best at (probably because GW has a skull fetish... ::P: ). I don't know what brand of paints you use, but I'm stuck with Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, and their ilk. My basic recipe is as follows:

Primer: Black

Base Coat: Light brown ("Territorial Beige" from Apple Barrel)

---This is basically to give me something to work with. Since I prime 90% of my minis black, it's nice to have a relatively neutral place to start.

1st Highlight: "Maple Sugar Tan" from Delta Ceramcoat

---This is about the color of straw. For this piece, I applied this color to everywhere but the darkest recessed (like around the oval shapes on the Banshee's armor). The trick to this is to get the paint as thin as you possibly can while still retaining coverage. Do it in several layers so that you'll end up with a smooth surface. For darker bone, simply cover less of the brown with this and the successive highlights.

2nd Highlight: "Goose Feather" from Apple Barrel.

---The transition between these two stages is almost impossible to mess up because, for some reason, the colors naturally blend remarkably well. Again, keep the paint thin and make sure a decent amount of the 1st highlight shows through...just to give the color some depth.

Final Highlight: "Satin Cream" from Apple Barrel.

---This is probably the hardest because this color is so much brighter than the last, and it will easily ruin the transition if you aren't careful. The trick here is to apply it only to the most light-catching surfaces, and keep it thin enough so that it will disappear into the layers beneath it.

I hope that helps, and I wish I could explain it better. Hopefully, I will be able to put together a few tutorials in the near future.

Bushido

This tutorial is great. I'm happy to see someone else, besides me, working primarily with 'craft' paints. I think I have Apple Barrel Satin Cream laying about - will have to add the others to my shopping list this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

Rex

I've always thought your painting was excellent. Now I find out that the above was painted with primarily "craft" paints?!

Sir, you are a painter god.

Now I admit to being very curious as to how aggressively you thin the paints and what you thin with, that creates such a smooth blend of color.

Thanks, deep_sashelas. Actually, as of right now, the only non-craft paints I use are GW's silver metallics (Boltgun, Chainmail, Mithril)...simply because I haven't found anything better.

As for thinning, when I get a new bottle, I usually squeeze out about a capful and then fill the bottle up with water until it just reaches the neck. When I'm painting, I like to keep a bottle-cap of water on my palette so that I can thin the paint while it's on my brush. I don't really have a formula, I just dip the paint into the water until I feel it's about right.

This piece is amazing and very inspiring. Makes me want to finihs of my squad of banshees lol. The honor badges on the banshees arm are amazingly well done. I have tackled do elborate crystal work like that but will be doing some for a few of my GD entries this year. Well I could keep gushing but I think I will leave it at that :lol:

Ja