Figure Holding

Santini

How do you all hold your figures as you paint?

My little girl and I both have problems rubbing off parts that we have already painted when we are painting other parts.

It seems like I read one time that some people glue a stick to the base of the figure as they work then take it off when they are done. Do any of you all work this way and if so what glue do you use that is strong enough to hold yet lets you remove it without damaging the figure?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

superglue it to a plastic soda cap.

squeeze it off of the cap to release when done.

double sided tape is also a favorite of people to use.

stick to empty bottles of paint or old pill bottles.

I like water bottles with the sport top, they come new with a removable over cap, I use those most of all.

cher ^_^

I use white glue (like Elmers) and wooden spools (that old thread was on). I can use an old paintbrush to poke through the hole in the center to pop the mini off when I'm done.

I also use the old plastic film canisters, although these are a bit lightweight and tend to fall over if not filled with some sort of ballast (like rocks, dirt, or sand for basing).

I use the wide craft sticks, cut in half (approx 3/4" wide by 3" long after cutting). I use a small drop of gel superglue on one side if the base. When the painting, basing and sealing is complete, I slide an exacto knife blade under the mini and pop it free from the stick.

I have a bunch of 3/4 inch dowel that I cut into about 3 to 4 inch lengths. I hot glued a bottle cap to the end of them.

I then use sticky tac to mount the figures to the bottle cap. The handle gives me plenty of room for gripping. It's great for priming figures too because it keeps your hand out of the spray radius. One other advantage I have found, is that the dowel fits nicely into the mouth of most 20 and 16 oz bottles. Just cut the top off of the bottle (about a 1/2 inch below where the dome part ends), and it gives a nice little skirt you can put your figure into, so when you put it down it remains upright, and will not tip over (well it may, but you have to try hard to knock it over)

I like the size of the dowel because it's comfortable in my hand, I don;t have to grip hard to hold it so it reduces stress.

We hot-glue them to wooden paddle-spoon things (like come with single-serve cups of ice cream), from the local Hobby Lobby. Their web site (URL below) shows them as $2 for 75, I thought they were about half that in the store, shrug.

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?p=160960

The metal-based minis remove from the hot glue pretty well, the plastic bases not as easily. Blue poster tack didn't work so well for us for bigger (CAV, monster) minis, I should try it again with human-sized.