Wumby

Banners/Standards

I am in the process of painting the skeletal command group and there is a standard bearer. What could/should I use to create a standard for my standard bearer to bear? I do not have...and presently cannot buy...green stuff or any other kind of putty. (Waiting for the government to pay my way through school and pay my rent.) Paper seems to cheesy and flimsy. Should I use a section of one of my beloved yet worn out T-shirts and paint some kind of symbol on it, then seal it heavily to give it a "rigid" texture? Any other suggestions? Pictures would even be helpful...at least links to minis with standards.

Why not a sheet of posterboard? Or even a playing card? These can be easily bent/cut into convincing shapes, and are inexpensive. There's also an excellent article here, if you can get your hands on some plasticard.

You can use fabric, and soak it in watered down white glue to make it rigid.

If you can beg/borrow/steal it, the lead foil you find wrapping around wine bottles is bloody brilliant, as it's this great flexible metal

Baring that, card and paper is good too.

PS - that link with the plasticard is brilliant!

If you can get some of the lead foil from a old toothpaste tube, or from a wine bottle, you can shape it and paint it to make stardards quite easily.

I received one of those "fake" credit cards in the mail today in one of those unsolicited preapproved jobs. This one has no punched numbers or any other deformities, just a plain flat card. I might be able to use this just like the plasticard. Lets see what I can melt and bend.

I'm in business! Fake credit card, warp it a little bit, drill holes in the top with a pin vise to use floral wire to attach to the pole, and I'm good to go. Thanks for the ideas.

Another easy inexpensive idea is to use those ( un-used) coffee filters that you can buy 100 for like a buck. You probably even have some laying around the house ..though it's not as fun as buying a bottle of wine to drink while you paint... ::P:

Cut the shape you want and brush them with thinned out white glue and put them on aluminum foil to dry in the shape you want (waved/curved or whatever, etc...) ...they'll dry really quickly in a warm oven (turn oven on warm for a couple of min. then turn it off) wait a few min and place the sheet of foil in there and voila instant banner in the shape you want and they're really sturdy too. prime and paint...simple!

Shrinky-dinks also work but it's sometimes hard to guage the "shrunken" size they'll come out.

The filters are great because they're cheap and have cloth fibers in them so they hold up to abuse.

g'luck and have fun!