Runny layers

Ironworker

Inspired by the thread on washes, I have a question on layering. I thin my paints down for layering, but sometimes the paint runs from the brush, and into a crack that I had washed before with a darker shade. Now my shade suddenly becomes the same color as the highlight. First of all how do I avoid this? The obvious answer seems to be having less paint on the brush, but it still seems to happen (maybe I just need more paractice).

Secondly, and more importantly how do I fix it? Do I wash it and highlight it again and again until luck has it that I have it right?

A lot of times, I seem to obscure my shadows when I'm doing highlighting, and would appreciate any tips to avoid or fix this problem.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your putting too much water in the mix and making it a wash.  I usually just add some water to the paint via the brush a little at a time so as not to get to much water in the paint.  always test the consistancy on something before you paint it on the miniature so you will know if it is too runny.

yep i tend to do this to  :O  so my advice is to use slightly less water, and to run the brush over the flat of the fingernail holding the mini before you paint the highlight, you'll know if it's too runny, and the surface of your nail seems to be a perfect test, at least for me....  you'll end up with really funky colored nails, but hey, that's a bonus for me :) as for fixing it, i tend to mix the next shade up into the last shade, leaving a small "pool" of the previous color unmixed.... thus if i mess up, i can simply paint a thin line of the last color back into the resesses of the model... if you understand my demented ravings..... i hope this helps......

Actually, it took me a long time to get the mixture right myself.  I usually will use a medicine dropper or pipette (you can find either at practically any hobby shop) to add water to the paint.  Another thing I have discovered is that tapwater tends to thin the paint too much.  Someone told me that it is the chemicals used to purify it.  I started using distilled water and the problem seemed to be less serious.  It might be that I just learned the correct ratio of paint to water, but maybe it might help you. :D  :D

If the paint runs into another area because it's watery, just stick a dry brush into the puddle and it will soak it right up. Always keep your brushes close by so you can grab them quickly :)

If its started to try, often you can try scraping it with a *new* exacto knife blade and it will come off.