Two Questions on Different Companies

Vil-hatarn

This may seem a stupid question to ask on the Reaper website, but which paint is better? I've got most of the old Reaper line and most of the current Citadel line, and was wondering whether I should get some of the master series.

Second, are the high quality brushes worth it compared to the normal ones? The Games Workshop brushes are useless, but I'm not sure which to replace them with, mostly because of the price of the kolinsky brushes.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i use citadel paints personally, i just like the colors better so far, however i do plan on picking up some reaper pro paints as well...

as for brushes, i bought whatever was in the game shop... plus i picked up some cheapo brushes from the walmart craft section "fine detail" brushes... they work alright.... they still arent as fine detailed as i want... so i use a calligraphy pen, and a thumbtack..

I like the colors in the GW range of paints - but hate the pots. Fortunately, they are duplicated in the Vallejo "Game color" line of paint. There are also model colors which feel somewhat thicker and creamier than the game color and come in more "historical" colors.

I also like the Reaper "pro" series paints, but again - totally hate the pots. NEat thing is you can buy them and pour them into dropper bottles which are available from the Reaper store, or sometimes your craft store.

I *love* the Reaper "Master series" paints. They are great to use, the colors are good - but what really makes me happy is that they are formulated in groups of three, like the foundry paints, so you have a base, midtone and highlight of a certain color. This makes painting up models quickly a snap as most of the hard part in color choice is done already.

A fact taht I didn't know - but discovered through trial and error, and had confirmed by my sweetheart who studies art is that various companies make different and "better" (based on personal preference) versions and shades of colors - so you might find you really like using GW's red paints, but love the vallejo greens and the reaper blues.

Now for brushes - if you want to go cheap you can pick up a decent set of 4 brushes at Wal*mart for $4 from "Plaid" brand It comes with a 3, 1, 0 and 00 and they last a few months with care - and once they die, they make good dry brushes. At $4 a pop, it's not a hgue deal to replace them every few months.

I do like using kolinsky sable brushes when I get the rare chance, but they are indeed very expensive. People who use 'em swear by them and I have to agree, they are nice. You can find them on sale from time to tome, and when members here find a deal, they usually post up a notice.

I personally like the Loew-Cornell white nylon series of brushes (Yellow brush, white bristles. They are fairly inexpensive ($2-3 normally and they go on sale sometimes) at my local craft sore and hold up for quite a while.

I also like the Reaper "master" series paints, but again - totally hate the pots. <snip>

I *love* the Reaper "Master series" paints. <snip>

I believe in your first quoted paragraph you are referring to the ProPaint line.

Otherwise you are being totally contradictory in your second quoted paragraph.

cher :huh:

I also like the Reaper "master" series paints, but again - totally hate the pots. <snip>

I *love* the Reaper "Master series" paints. <snip>

I believe in your first quoted paragraph you are referring to the ProPaint line.

Otherwise you are being totally contradictory in your second quoted paragraph.

cher :huh:

So noted and edited. ;)

See.. the master paints have me all fired up - they are the only thing I can think of!

This may seem a stupid question to ask on the Reaper website, but which paint is better? I've got most of the old Reaper line and most of the current Citadel line, and was wondering whether I should get some of the master series.

Second, are the high quality brushes worth it compared to the normal ones? The Games Workshop brushes are useless, but I'm not sure which to replace them with, mostly because of the price of the kolinsky brushes.

I'm a Vallejo fan.. Model Color specifically. I stll a few lines including Vallejo, Reaper Master Series, Foundry, Howard Hues, Citadel and lately Adiken. In the end, my personal kit is

Vallejo with a few Howard Hues horse colors.

Having said that, I have a LOT of praise for the Reaper Master Series line. The paint

itself is a bit shiny for my taste, but it goes on smooth and pretty much needs no

thinning. Its the color choices where the line really stands out. I love their leather

shades and the flesh 'brackets' are spectacular.

It sounds like you've got a decent amount of paint though.

I'd suggest this... get a good brush. A nice 1 or a 0 from Windsor and Newton Series 7

or Vallejo Kolinsky Sable. As mentioned above, a quality brush, well cared for will do

WONDERS for the paint you already have.

--

Gregg

Strange Cargo Games

http://www.strangecargogames.com

I would recommend going to your local art supply store and getting a really good (or a couple of really good) kolinsky sable brushes (such as W&N Series 7) and a container of brush cleaner & conditioner (W&N, pink soap or one of the other brands).

Most of my painting in 2004 was done with a W&N size 1 brush. That brush still looks as good as new. Synthetic brushes rarely lasted more than a week before the points hooked.

As far as Burshes go:

I've totally replaced all my "cheapo" brushes with W&N series 7. Though I have also found that Richeson series 2050 Kolinski sable brushes are just as good and less expensive and have more varried tips ie..cat-tounge and liners. and alot of times found on sale :poke:

I have tried the Reaper kolinski brushes and they're alright, but don't hold up quite as well....and if you shop around online you can find W&N for less than retail online and investing in a good cleaner and a little TLC they seem to last forever next to the plaid and other synthetic brushes...I still get them (el-cheapo's) for terrain and as color mixing brushes..

Repeat after me:

One should not use their #7 brushes for mixing paints on my pallet! ::o:

As Far as paints go..

I LOVE the Master series paints :wub: and once their line is larger I'll probably use them almost exclusivly mixed with Vallejo model and game colors to fill in any gaps.

I still have and use tons of the reaper pro-paints and citadel colors ( there's no replacement for "snakebite leather" IMHO) but I have transfered all my paint in "pots" to dropper bottles. I get them from Western Plastics at about quarter a pop then I just add in some broccolli base chunks or stainless steel pellets as aggitators, I haven't experimented with any tube paints as of yet so I can't comment there.

I firmly believe that my painting skills and quality has improved greatly since I upgraded my supplies and learned to properly use and care for them. ::D:

Hope my 2 cents helped a little..but sometimes quality goes a lot futher than quantity...