Sign in to follow this  
Feanor

Question: Sure shot vs. Defensive shot

Lets say an elf archer takes a wack at a goblin skeeter and is within 24 inches

now if the elf has LOS but not the 1/2 inch minimun then the goblin does not get his defense shot right?

thanks all

No, they both could shoot, assuming that the range was 24" or less. If the LOS corridor was less than 1/4", the elves could shoot and the Skeeters could not.

I made nasty use of this once. My Troop was behind some ruined buildings, giving the gobbies no LOS. My Caerwyn could see the gobbies through a window in the building. She had LOS on one gobbie (checked with a laserpointer). The gobbie didn't have LOS on her, because of the 1/4" LOS rule.

The other elves in the troop could not be seen by the goblins at all. Caerwyn used the Blazer ability (meaning only she had to have LOS) and unleased a devastating volley on the Skeeters that they could not return.

No, they both could shoot, assuming that the range was 24" or less.  If the LOS corridor was less than 1/4", the elves could shoot and the Skeeters could not.

I made nasty use of this once.  My Troop was behind some ruined buildings, giving the gobbies no LOS.  My Caerwyn could see the gobbies through a window in the building.  She had LOS on one gobbie (checked with a laserpointer).  The gobbie didn't have LOS on her, because of the 1/4" LOS rule.

The other elves in the troop could not be seen by the goblins at all.  Caerwyn used the Blazer ability (meaning only she had to have LOS) and unleased a devastating volley on the Skeeters that they could not return.

So you play that if your model is 1/4" away from something else, the enemy cannot fire upon you?

Should it not be the window gives you cover?

Where are you getting the 1/4" rule from? Is this a variation on the Sure Shot Ability?

I ws using 1/4" because it was between 1mm and 1/2".

LOS is a straight line from the shooter's base to the target's base. If a half-inch corridor centered on that line is free of LOS-blocking obstructions, the shooter can shoot. Elves are special in that they need only a 1mm LOS corridor. Thus, if an Elf shoots at something and there is a <1/2"LOS corridor, the target may not shoot back if it has defensive shot.

How about this scenario:

An Elf shoots at a Skeeter with a 1mm LOS corridor. The Skeeter, per your answer, can shoot back. Neither are killed.

Next card activates the Skeeter. He has not moved and neither has the Elf. The skeeter, by my interpretation, cannot shoot at the Elf, even though he just made a defensive shot at the Elf the prior turn. Is this correct?

WOOT!!!

Bring on thems nasty elfses and der ruins!!!

Added: DOH! Frosch! Shhhhhhhh ::D:

Well, you could realistically see that because with a defensive shot, you are returning fire, and the attacker has to be exposed to make their shot, giving better views.

How about this scenario:

An Elf shoots at a Skeeter with a 1mm LOS corridor. The Skeeter, per your answer, can shoot back. Neither are killed.

Next card activates the Skeeter. He has not moved and neither has the Elf. The skeeter, by my interpretation, cannot shoot at the Elf, even though he just made a defensive shot at the Elf the prior turn. Is this correct?

That does seem to be what Matt said, but it sure seems odd..

That is correct. Defensive Shot's points and costs and development were precisely for these situations. It allows a Defensive Shot so long as it is in range no matter what. That's why it's there.

The Golden Rule always applies.