Sign in to follow this  
CripDyke

Pats

I've been a pats fan since they drafted Drew Bledsoe. Not a raving one, but a fan since then. Partly because Bledsoe came from the West Coast & DIDN'T go to a california school before the NFL, partly cuz I liked him for other reasons, & partly because one of my best friends EVER was born & raised in New Engl & has been a raging Pats fan all his life. I met him just a year before the Pats drafted DB.

So I've followed them & they had a little success, but I have been rooting even harder for the Bengals and the 49ers (the year they played each other in the SB was a dream come true). I rooted about as hard for the Chargers. But out of the 4 NFL teams I like, none of 'em has accomplished much in the last 15 years (49ers had one final SB win in that time) except the Pats.

Tho' my heart will always be with the Bengals, and I have more unreasoned affection for the 49ers, the last 2 years have been pretty amazing. I wasn't really following the playoffs for the Pats 1st SB victory (tho' when they got to the Super Bowl, I watched). So I missed some cherished Pats moments (Tuck Rule, anyone?). It made that SB victory a little less special 'cuz I missed the build up. The next year, they sucked. But the last 2 years, they've been amazing.

And every commentator I could find was basically saying - "well, you always have to watch out for the Pats, especially when Payton is playing outside a dome, but the Colts really are too hot to handle with a depleted secondary. This is the Year for the Colts. Brady's not good enough. Blah, blah."

I was a bit worried, mind you. I could see the Pats losing this game. But I wasn't as hopeless as all those commentators tried to make me.

So I won't say I'm the great Karnak or anything...but when I saw the field looking grey from the weather, I said to myself, "They're gonna win today."

Not, "They're gonna mop the field with them". Just, "They're gonna win".

Boy was I an underbeliever for those guys.

Tom Brady is not an amazing passer, but he's an amazing on-the-field coach.

And I wasn't very excited when they brought in Bill - boy was I wrong. That guy is the best coach this game has seen since Bill Walsh. (What is it about coaching "Bill"s?)

anyway, I love Donovan McNabb. Just yesterday was the first time I ever saw Michael Vick play & he was everything he was billed to be - a mediocre passer, but a good leader and an INCREDIBLE game-breaker. Someone who just knows how to punish a defense for the smallest mistakes.

So I'll watch both games next weekend. I won't root for one team over another with the Eagles & Falcons, but you KNOW i'm gunnin for the Pats to break the steelers' win streak.

(way back in the 70's my mom hated the steelers and my dad didn't like them, so it became received wisdom that you just can't root for them...even if Lynn Swann was just about the most ballet-ic receiver the game had ever seen).

So....

Use this thread for praising/bashing the pats and talkin' up the NFL generally.

I know I'm not the only one watchin' the games when the weather gets bad (in the PNW we were iced in all weekend). And statistically, SOME of the rest of y'all have to be true fanatics that know a lot more than me...

So yak it up! And educate me!

This is the thread to play in for the next 3 weeks!

Well, I've been a Pats fan since way back with the Superbowl debacle with the Bears. I'm a New Englander.

Yesterday, I was definitely nervous. Hearing that Richard Seymour was also going to be out of the lineup (game time decision, though local sport talk radio was intimating this was likely) increased that anxiety. Colts secondary is extremely weak and their run defense was poor. Best chance againt the Pats offense was to get in Brady's face. Pats defense on the other hand has been horribly depleted by injuries to their secondary. One of their starting cornerbacks was signed off the street, and another (nickel back) is a converted wide receiver/punt and kickoff returner (Troy Brown kicks ARSE!!!).

The longer the game went yesterday without a score, the better I was feeling. When Pats had that TD called back and had to settle for a Vinateri FG, I knew game was over for Colts. Pats used Corey Dillon to just run over the Colts. Faulk also had a great game rushing. If they didn't have Dillon so successfully running the ball (also big kudos to the Pats underrated O-line) they would have been in DEEP trouble. Time of possession was almost 2:1 in Pats favor. Its the only way to really beat the Colts. Take the game out of Manning's hands.

Oh yeah CD. Dillon was from Cinncinatti. Another reason to root for the Pats!!! This was his first playoff game ever. This is his 8th year in the league.

Absolutely bring on the Aluminum Curtain. Watching the Jets twice manhandle the Steelers, and only end up losing because of stupid errors...well the Pats don't make stupid errors, especially in the playoffs. And the Pats can take the Jets. Oh yeah, and Corey Dillon wasn't playing when the Pats lost to Pittsburgh. And that was the game that Ty's Law and Poole went down. The backups have had since Halloween to play together now. Here ROOKIE....He's a good quarterback, but I am not ready to induct Ben (not even trying to spell his last name) into the HOF yet.

As far as Atlanta vs Phillie. I was impressed with how well Phillie played this weekend. They hadn't played in essentially 3 weeks (BYE, plus all starters took week 17 off) so there was a big chance of rust. They really played well given that T.O. was on the bench. And DAMN did Michael Westbrook have a GREAT game!!! Phiilie has a great D, but it will definitely be fun to watch them trying to contain Vick. Honestly didn't watch the games as closely as I usually do. Had a fairly lengthy honey-do list to complete :)

As far as Atlanta vs Phillie....Phiilie has a great D, but it will definitely be fun to watch them trying to contain Vick.

See, here's the mistake most people make. True, Michael Vick is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Falcons, and he is the key to their offense, but some get so focused on him that they forget about Warrick Dunn and T. J. Duckett.

This past Saturday, Dunn ran for 138 yards and two touchdowns. One of which was over 60 yards. Duckett had 77 yards, and is faster than most would think at 260+ pounds.

Then there's Alge Crumpler. Best hands I've seen on a tight end in a while, and he's quick and a load to bring down.

I was very happy Saturday to see the Falcons (best rushing offense in the league this year) run slap over the Rams and their "wide open" passing game. ATL-300+ yards rushing=47 points. STL-300+ yards passing=17 points.

And don't forget the Falcon's D, either. Led the league in sacks this year. It will be fun watching them chase McNabb down. He can run, too. Ought to be one heck of a game.

Oh, yeah. Well done Patriots. I picked them to beat the Colts, and wasn't disappointed. It will be interesting to see how well their great defense fares against The Bus and Deuce Staley.

Oh, trust me, I am not ignoring the rest of Atlanta's team. Dunn also put on one hell of a show against the Rams. I just love watching everyone trying to contain Vick. He is such a phenomenally gifted player, especially when he has to scramble. He will be scary when he learns to spend more time in the pocket and manage the game like McNabb has done over the past couple years. Stop relying so much on his legs, and start using that rifle of an arm he has. Actually, given it's range, cannon is probably more accurate. Vick definitely has some supporting weapons that will probably be together for awhile still. My biggest fear with Vick is that he will get himself killed taking so many heavy hits when he opts to run the ball that it will shorten his career.

Anyone who wants to know how to contain Vick needs to watch film from a couple of years ago vs. the Bucs. They did a great job.

I hate all Boston sport franchises. Especially the patriots. That said I think it will me who will be sad the day after superbowl and not pats fans.

Mind you.. the game with Pitt might be interesting first!

...bump!!

so! what did y'all think about THAT game, huh??

just like i expected...only maybe even more so! But nah, they only won by 14, & that's about right for a rookie qb against that defense.

eagles did what TB did, too, and thus wrapped up that game pretty well.

all in all a good day of ball. Lookin' forward to Pats earning the 'D' word in 2 weeks!

Hey,I live in the middle of Pennsylvania. I'm just really glad I don't have two teams worth of fans I can't stand screaming at each other for the next two weeks.

That being said, go Pats!

(I really hate the fans of the local sports teams).

oy! that's got to be awkward!

me, i hate the local nba franchise - more of an NCAA hoops fan, especially women's hoops. but the Blazers walk on water to buy their drugs in this town, or so thesaying goes, so I don't get many friendly looks when I decline to root for them, much less point out their glaring shortcomings!!

i feel for your situation. good luck to you (and the pats!)

My wife has finally become a true football fan. That first deep TD Brady threw to Deion Branch, I think she was cheering and hollering louder than I was.

It was a great game. I feel really bad for Big Ben. You could tell he was pressing really hard and was a bit anxious. Some of his decisions on passes were very poor. That's a given for a rookie though, especially one facing a Belichick/Crenell defense (good luck in Cleveland Romeo). Ben took so much on his own shoulders and I am sure he is wracked with guilt thinking he lost the game for the Steelers.

I still think Cowher should have gone for the TD when it was 4th and goal with 2 yards left rather than going for the gimmee Field goal. If you fail, you're giving the pats the ball in their own endzone. Belichick has done it before and taken the safety, which would mean Steelers would get 2 and get the ball back, rather than getting 3 and giving the ball back to the Pats. Steelers were pretty effective with the run. A play action floater to one of their ginormous WR in the endzone over the heads of the shorter Pats secondary. Doing it also would have given the offense more confidence if successful and might have swung momentum back to the Steelers.

Can't wait for the Eagles in 2 weeks!!!

Woooo Hooooo!!!

Another Superbowl victory.

Good luck Charlie at ND and Romeo at Cleveland.

Eagles were definitely victimized by bad coaching. I can't believe the lack of immediacy they showed during the last 7 minutes of the game, down by 2 scores.

T.O. had a great game, and so much for that ankle being bad. He wasn't textbook T.O., but he definitely had a presence.

Feel bad for the crap McNabb is going to get buried under.

And thankfully, we did not have a repeat with the idiots in Boston rioting and running over pedestrians while driving drunk like last year, flipping cars, burning sofas, etc. So far in Boston, zero arrests were reported after the game was over.

Glad the game wasn't a blow out, made for an entertaining game.

It was an excellent game, it was not until the beginning of the fourth quarter that it looked like a lock for the Patriots. Again, the game came down to turnovers. McNabb was careless with the football and was fortunate he did not have more interceptions. The Pats did work hard stripping the ball and it paid off. McNabb looked nervous and stiff at the beginning of the game and tired at the end. I think that is why the hurry up offence never really took place.

No matter though, it was an entertaining game.

Kinda quiet at my house too. While not a huge fan of the Eagles, I was rooting for them because they were "due". They fought hard and have no reason to to hang their heads. I mean geez, it was the Super Bowl! Just being there is huge! And someone has to lose. ::):