Unreleased Dark Elf Chariot WIP (updated 2/10)

Darkstar

Okay, I'm still working on bringing the Charioteers and the base 'to life', but in the meantime I'll up some WIP shots of earlier stages of my progress.

Here's a WIP shot of the base...

basewip2.jpg

This is primarily the base in it's demi-completed state. The casualty is solely base-coated at this point...but much of the work on the base itself is done. I'm working on painting the casualty and bringing up the final highlights etc... on the wagon wheel. The blood pooling will have a nice effect once the model is completed and Dul-Coted. After the matte finish dries, I can then add a nice glossy blood effect over the bloodstains for that touch of gorey realism.

Here's a shot of the Charioteers right after base-coating...

Charioteers1.jpg

I like to call this stage of the painting process the "Dead Layer". Basically just an impression of tones and values that makes it easier for the eye to judge the placement of highlights and shadow. A neutral, semi dark undercoating in the darkest values of the colors that have been chosen for each area on the mini is applied, then washed down with sepia and black inks to unify and deepen the shaded areas. This wash also provides an effect similar to darklining when applied more heavily in areas that need to be marked seperate from other areas, such as armor plating and the seperate pieces of clothing from skin etc...

These shots look nowhere near the end product of course, but they are a necessary step in the procedure. At least for my style and technique of painting.

Next updates on Monday, have a nice weekend! :B):

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so, are you going to have the chariot going diagonal?

like from top right of that picture to bottom left.... thats how the road appears..

i just assumed that it'd be a flat on horizontal...

No, it's going to be placed in line with the length of the base. The road being at a diagonal will add to the interest and hopefully give the eye more to play over.

so, are you going to have the chariot going diagonal?

like from top right of that picture to bottom left.... thats how the road appears..

i just assumed that it'd be a flat on horizontal...

No, it's going to be placed in line with the length of the base. The road being at a diagonal will add to the interest and hopefully give the eye more to play over.

oh...

oh, ok... cant wait to see it... i can imagine it... but thats not good enough..lol

Here's a closeup of the finished casualty on the base...

Casualtyfin.jpg

The blood is going to settle a little so it will look more "natural", but the angle I took the photo at while it was still drying makes it look more "pooly" than it actually is lying flat. <_<

So..in case you're wondering, the blood is a mix of Sepia Ink, Bloody Red (VGC) and Scab Red (VGC) mixed with pure Elmer's Glue. I just glooped it on and when it's dry I'll go back in and varnish it with some brush on gloss varnish to make it look even more wet. Painting blood is about the most fun you can have with this hobby if you ask me. :devil:

The Charioteers are almost done but I don't want to show the photos untile they're completely finished.

You should probably add a bit more blood to the casualty. He looks too "clean." :huh:

I don't know. He could just as easily have been cleaved in the back,

...Maybe a tiny dribble of red stuff from his mouth then?

That pool of blood rocks!

I don't know.  He could just as easily have been cleaved in the back,

...Maybe a tiny dribble of red stuff from his mouth then?

Well, in my estimation, he is being trampled by the Cold one that will be standing above him and the back of his skull has been smashed into the stones. At least that's how I imagine it... although it could have just as likely been a parasite that eats out your spine then leaves through the back once it's matured...lol, fantasy is so wide open, gotta love it

He does have a dribble of blood coming from the lowest part of his mouth down to the pavement, you can't see it from this angle though. Had to have the drooling mouth blood. :poke:

Painting blood is about the most fun you can have with this hobby if you ask me. :devil:

For blood, I usualy either mix a red ink or a very dark red with either white glue of gloss finish. If I want it to look realy thick I'll let it set up for a while before lightly glopping it onto whatever I want bloodied, for the look of gore on weapons and such. If I want splatter, I'll use the gloss mix and just lightly drybrush it over whatever it is the blood has splattered on. I find that useing white glue usualy makes it look brighter than with the gloss, probably cause the glue by itself dries alittle milky while gloss dries clear. If I want a realy wet look I'll go over it with some red ink once it's dried, then go over it again with just some pure gloss.

Sorry for the lag in updating., it's been 18 hours of work and I'm STILL not done with the charioteers. I screwed up the NMM on one right when I was almost finished yesterday, then spent much of today correcting my error...about 5 hours wasted. <_< However, they're looking good and should be finished soon. Minus the 5 hours of back and forthing over the NMM mistake, all told I will have spent around 6 1/2 hours on each charioteer, which is pretty par for the course, in fact, much faster than my usual.

Mistakes happen, I just hate when I make them right when I'm on the finishing stages and have to restart..grrr.