Sculpting hands

Nanite

Hi there, new to these boards.

Just wanted to thank Reaper for all the excellent sculpting tools and accessories to help get a beginner like me into a new facet of the hobby. And for all the fantastic miniatures.

Now the question, does anyone have a good tutorial or just a technique for sculting hands? I just started working in greenstuff, and have worked with sculpy for years, and that may be part of my trouble, but I'm still having difficulty making the end result look more like a hand, and less like a ham.

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I work with both sculpey and greenstuff. The same techiniques for sculpting apply to both, you just have to keep your tools wet when using greenstuff.

For hands in either material what I do is I make two tiny pancakes from flattened balls of clay. I make them the same size. Now I take another piece of clay and make five tiny logs about the thickness of a few mm or less depending on the scale I want. I arrange these on the one pankcake of clay to look like fingers and a thumb. Now I take the other pancake of clay and put it over that to sandwich the fingers between the two pancakes. Taking a took I smooth the edges all around the hand and the fingers. Now I take other small bits of clay to build up dimension to the actual hand, and I use needles to press in to make indentations in the flesh and other detail. Hope that helps.

Thank you Enchantra, that does help!

I'll make sure to post greens, as soon as I have something that doesn't look like a Mcnugget, that is.

There's nothing wrong with things that look like McNuggets. They can be painted to respresent everything from a misshapen blob to a small humanoid under an all-encompassing covering. :lol:::D:

There's nothing wrong with things that look like McNuggets. They can be painted to respresent everything from a misshapen blob to a small humanoid under an all-encompassing covering. 

Or perhaps a new game? Battle for McDonaldLand ::D:

Thanks again for the Tip.

If you're using a pre-made metal armature like the ones Reaper sells, you can flatten the hand part and cut it into a thumb and fingers, as long as you have good clippers/knives. (I haven't actually tried this myself, so I'm not sure how hard it would be. So why am I giving second-hand advice....? *runs and hides*)

If you're using a pre-made metal armature like the ones Reaper sells, you can flatten the hand part and cut it into a thumb and fingers, as long as you have good clippers/knives. (I haven't actually tried this myself, so I'm not sure how hard it would be. So why am I giving second-hand advice....? *runs and hides*)

You'll weaken the metal doing that.