So, why do you paint?

kit

So, why do you paint?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. So, why do you paint?

• Sell (filthy lucre)
    • Display (deadly pride)
    • Role playing games (sloth)
    • Reaper games: Warlord, CAV (the epitome of virtue)
    • Games Workshop: Warhammer, 40k, LotR, etc. (the seventh circle)
    • Other company mini war games (licentiousness)
    • Gifts (selflessness in action)
    • Other (indecisiveness)

For relaxation.

Because it's fun.

Because painting my fingernails isn't very challenging.

So the pewter has more life when I use it in games.

So I can stare for hours with pride at a mini that is better than ones I have painted before.

Because I need a creative outlet, I suck at music, and my artwork is "so-so."

To have a reason to have a closet all to myself for my mini addiction (it's my painting space).

To have something to look for on Ebay. :lol:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paint for the zen. That and my love of killy-spikey-bigaxeweilding-psychotic-monstrosities. I just like the way minis fascilitate my imagination as I rampage through candyland crushing foes with my +6 doomhammer of smushing!

BunnyPuncher - I knew there was a reason I liked you. :) That and how can you go wrong with the nickname "Bunny Puncher"... it's so deliciously evil.

I started painting mini's for my D&D games. I got sick of using dice, pennies or any other marker to show facings and such on maps. Then, I realized how relaxing it tended to be, and it gave me something to collect as well. I am happy to say that I now paint for fun, relaxation, and gaming. I am currently working on something that I never thought I would be doing; a Warlord army! WOOHOO!!

Fallen

I paint for enjoyment and relaxation. Miniature painting is the only remotely artistic thing I have ever been good at. Art and music were not really part of my upbringing and I lack even the most basic principles in each. I tried learning the piano and couldn't handle listening to myself practice, most third graders can draw as well if not better than me. I have no vision so I have no idea on how to get from beginning to end, or what even the end should look like.

When I saw what a painted miniature could look like I was blown away. So I broke out my paints and gave it another run. I struggled very slowly until I took a class taught by Jen & Anne and after that I had the basics down and found I was not half bad and I really enjoyed it. Now If I could just get back into the habit of painting again...

I paint for at least three or four of those reasons. Well and my knitting rate was giving me tennis elbow. So I needed another hobby to stop me knitting so much while I watch CSI and saturday morning cartoons. Plus, almost all my friends paint so peer pressure gets to be one of my reasons. ::P:

This poll seems to me to be written more along the lines of what do you paint not why do you paint.

I paint because I enjoy it, it is fun, and it is cheeper than other hobby. I realy enjoy the good feeling I get when I complete a mini and it looks good in my eyes. I enjoy showing it off to my friends even more. And I think I mostly enjoy painting minis because I can paint minis.

I think I will have to answer other on the poll, for the reasons above.

I paint for three main reasons:

1. Gaming (I chose GW, as it is the game I play the most)

2. Display. Many of my Reaper figures have alot of time invested into them, and they sit proudly on display.

3. Artistic expression/learning. I really enjoy just sitting down and painting, or doing something new. I like a challenging mini that will make me think about how to best paint it. Learning and trying out new techniques is also quite abit of fun.

Discuss

Well, you really have like 2 different pools mixed into one. Makes it a bit difficult to vote.

The poll question is WHY do we paint. Then you throw that poll answers to the question of WHAT do we paint up there.

For me:

WHY: cause of the feeling of accomplishment when I finish. Cause I enjoy playing a game with well painted minis. Release of my artistic side.

WHAT: Well started out as straight CBT, but then along came CAV, and I have to admit the RAGE system is working like its suppose to. I never thought I would get back into the fantasy world after not having touched it in soo long, but since the rules for CAV2 and Warlord are so closely associated and both are fairly easy to follow, I have been buying more and more fantasy figs lately and loving the amazing detail the sculptors have been able to achieve... Makes them so much more enjoyable to paint.