Workshop good for newbies?

TheWok

Hi all.

I've been into RPGs for a few years now, and I like to pain my own minis for the games. However, painting for me is more aking to finding a few colors and putting them on the model to cover the metal.

I hear about all these techniques and I have no idea what they are. Like drybrushing...it's what I do after I get all the paint out of my brush. Or layering--it's how I make my sandwiches.

I've tried looking at some websites for pointers, and I just get really confounded about some of this stuff. I just have no base from which to draw for discussion of these techniques.

So, I'm wondering if these painting workshops would be good for someone like me. I tend to learn better when I can actually see someone doing something.

What generally goes on in these things? Is there a cost? Do I bring my own stuff?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are brand new...

If you live in a major city, go to the local Games Workshop store and attend one of their little painting lessons. Most of the boys who work in these stores are meh painters, but they will be able to show you the basics (basecoat, drybrush, wash). Just bring a pointy stick to keep the agressive salespeople at bay and leave your wallet at home :)

I think you will need a brush and a fig and the least.. and with GW, a fig you bought there.

Hehe. Actually, I was talking about the Asylum workshop this weekend. I live about half an hour away from the Reaper factory. I'm a student at the University of North Texas, which is just up the freeway.

As far as I know, there are no Games Workshops stores in the area. There may be some in Dallas, but not in Fort Worth, unless they're new. Wizards of the Coast pulled out a couple of years ago. There are a good number of comic book and gaming stores, though, and loyalty to them may have driven Wizards out of the market (that and mall lease costs).

Anyone been to one of the Asylum workshops?

Yes, showing up at the Asylum would be a good thing. Everyone is quite helpful and you will get all the tips you can absorb...

I've done alot of "learning in a vacuum" and each time I get to spend with others gets me thinking about and trying new things.

Rgds,

Speaking as one who comes to the Asylum both to have Anne and John teach me how to not stink at painting, and also to throw down some Warlord, I say Come On In!

You'll learn quite a bit, and the more you come, the more chances you'll have to see the masters in action! Also, it's free, but you may end up buying more minis and paints and stuff . . it's a side effect of getting better.

We're open Fridays 4-9 and Saturdays 10-6.

• Reaper User
Hehe. Actually, I was talking about the Asylum workshop this weekend. I live about half an hour away from the Reaper factory. I'm a student at the University of North Texas, which is just up the freeway.

As far as I know, there are no Games Workshops stores in the area. There may be some in Dallas, but not in Fort Worth, unless they're new. Wizards of the Coast pulled out a couple of years ago. There are a good number of comic book and gaming stores, though, and loyalty to them may have driven Wizards out of the market (that and mall lease costs).

Anyone been to one of the Asylum workshops?

Hello!! Since I'm the one teaching the workshops I thought I should pipe up and say howdy. ::D: Please do come in, I can definately clear up all your terminology questions for you in the span of an hour or two, and give demos as well. And if you really want to learn drybrushing (nooooo! Not the "D" word! ::D: ) I'll even teach you that. Does having worked in a GW store qualify me to teach that? I wonder... :;):::D:

Anyhoo, yes, you are welcome, please do come! John and I get bored sometimes if we don't have someone to pour our gigantic knowledge bases into (though his knowledge base is mostly pun-related, so bring your pun-deflection shield generator). You can bring a mini, or buy a mini at the store once you get here. I may also have a few lonely minis lying around, but no guarantees on what you'll end up painting if you go that way. ::D: You'll want to bring a brush or three (or buy one at the store), but we have full sets of Pro Paints and Master Paints available here so you don't have to bring any paint at all. :) We also have palettes, water cups, and various tools for prepping and glue and Zip-Kicker and primer and Dullcote and and and...you get the idea. :;):

--Anne, Paint-Pusher. ::D:

Heh. I just remembered something else you should bring: a notepad to write down all the Anne-Babble. ::D:

--Anne

I'm thinking about just bringing along either a video camera (if I can find one cheap enough) or a voice recorder to ReaperCon. ^_^

• Reaper User
Heh.  I just remembered something else you should bring:  a notepad to write down all the Anne-Babble.  ::D: 

--Anne

I'm thinking about just bringing along either a video camera (if I can find one cheap enough) or a voice recorder to ReaperCon. ^_^

Don't bring a video recorder, Ary, we don't allow 'em. We discussed it last time and decided that it would not be fair to those who spent all the money to come in person to allow someone to videotape and then distribute it to all their friends (even if it's not for money, it's still not fair). Don't worry, Ed is trying to convince me to do a video, so you may get your wish yet. :;):

--Anne

A How To video would probably sell really well. ^_^

And I probably couldn't afford a video camera in the first place, but I'd have no one to distribute to (no one around here I know paints minis).

Well, except for TheStork, but he's been painting and playing RPGs longer than I have.

@BunnyPuncher: I'm in the same situation as you. Even worse, I used to live within 20 minutes of the current location of the Asylum. However, that was before I started painting and before the Asylum was there, so... (overall, I'm happy I moved. Much cooler up here in New England ::D: )