Paint Kit Ideas

Vaitalla

• Reaper User

Okay, here's the deal. I'm conceptualizing the new generation of Reaper Paint Kits (I asked you guys about this a while back) and I have another question for y'all. ::):

The first kit will be focused on skin tones. Keeping in mind that only nine paints can go in the kit, would you rather:

1) Have a kit with one triad of skintones and then the colors to paint the hair/cloth/armor on the rest of the miniature (such as in the old Learn-to-Paint-Kits), or

2) Have the kit only come with skin tones, three triads worth, and we assume that you already have a selection of paints for painting non-skin areas?

I'm of two minds about this and need to know what you, our potential customers, think. ::): On the one hand, it seems silly to give you minis with the kit and then not give you enough colors to paint everything on them (and no, I'd rather not stick nude minis in there! ::D: ). On the other hand, it would be really neat to give you a selection of different skintones so that I could cover darker, tanned, and lighter skin (each of which has its tricks and tips).

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance for the feedback,

--Anne--Your Friendly Neighborhood Harried Paint Kit Author. :;):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could split the difference... couldn't you? Toss in Tanned skin & highlight, and the Fair Triad (that's 5)... then add a metallic, and three base colors?

Personally, I'd rather see all of the skin tones... I'm assuming that it's going to be a 'advanced' kit, right? Assume that they've already got one of the others, I'd say.

I agree. If it's an advanced kit, then all the skin tones would be ideal. The other thought I had was, and I don't know how feasible it is, but you do the skin tone kit with one skin tone and some other colours for the rest of the mini but have some are dark, some tanned and some fair. It would be the same instructions, I assume (not being very proficient with skin tones as it is....). So, you could have three skintone kits, with the only differences being the skin tone paints. Does that make sense? Am I delusional?

Anyway, ideally I think having all the skin tones would be better than just one.

I think I would prefer to have just skin tones in the kit if I was going to buy it. Beginner or Advanced, it doesn't really matter, I'd still prefer allthe skin tones, that way (as mentioned) you'd have a choice of skin tone and could learn to do them all.

If you want to learn to paint armour, buy the armour kit, if you want to learn to paint cloth, buy the cloth kit etc....

For my 2 cents...I love skin..this would be cool! People would go for it!

I would love to see the three triads of skintones in one box with a write up ...especially if you included recipies for mixing alternitive skin tones..ghoulish gray..icey blue, firey red, sea nymph blue/green etc..where it's worked up with some flesh tones .

Then maybe you could add in a coupon for (1) mini under "X" amount for "free" (let's say a mini under $4.99)

That leaves options for everyone to chose the "practice figure of their choice..nude, semi-nude or clothed with some skin..

And maybe instead of brushes..we all have our own fav's add in some flesh shading ink instead..

Or if the coupons not cool ...

maybe use a male and female barbarian..they're mostly skin anyway if picked right..more or less.... :poke:

HOPEFULLY>>>we're talking the Master Series paints right :wub:

assume you are a new to painting person, you own no paints at all.

you can't do anything but skin if the package is nothing but skin tones.

no eyes, no hair, no mouth, no clothing or other sundry bits.

how fun is that?

you can't even finish the model you start because the kit doesn't provide enough options to do so.

no sense of accomplishment, no satisfation in a well done job.

true, it could be packaged as advanced, but realistically, how many people actually follow those guidelines?

I think it would be an easier selling item if it had a variety of color in it, a full skin tone triad and some other options as well.

I think you need to get the best of both worlds. If you only stick in skin tones; you'll lose beginner painters. If you put minimal skin tones; you'll lose advanced.

Skin can be an advanced subject, so if you are writing for advanced painters; load it with skin tone paints. If it's for all, or just beginners you'll need to either compromise or stick to one triad of skin tones.

I personally would prefer you split the differance. Extra (but not every) skin tone triads with basic colors rounding out the selection. And if you need to up the number of paints to compensate, and therefore price, I'd still buy it.

I would also like to voice my opinion that I would LOVE a all in one painting book - no paints, maybe some mini's though. I got GW's painting book, but they really didn't do that great a job on it. It's not in depth enough. I would kill for a book from Reaper that is at once for beginners and more advance painters. I haven't seen the Learn to Paint kits, but I think even if you were to condense them all into a book it might be worth it.

assume you are a new to painting person, you own no paints at all.

you can't do anything but skin if the package is nothing but skin tones.

no eyes, no hair, no mouth, no clothing or other sundry bits.

how fun is that?

you can't even finish the model you start because the kit doesn't provide enough options to do so.

no sense of accomplishment, no satisfation in a well done job.

true, it could be packaged as advanced, but realistically, how many people actually follow those guidelines?

Great points LS..

But maybe it could be "marketed" as Advanced skin tones #2 which complements skin kit #1..

Showing a reccomendation / warning that this is a secondary kit not to be used before kit #1 for that very reason!

They'd already have brushes/colors etc to get a desired effect...

What about doing mini-kits designed specifically as add-ons to the larger kits? Each one could have a different range of skintones. Then it could be up to the consumer whether they just want to get one -- and which one it is -- or if they'd rather get all three for maximum versatility.

I like the idea of just focusing on just the skin tones. Given the diversity of color in the world, I would hate to see only one triad included and looking at multiple skin tones will give you a fairly decent range of colors. I absolutely see Cher's point about wanting to finish the figure though too.

One compromise would be to have the paints, but in the book, include recipes and pictures showing how to do other skin tones.

Personally though, if I was buying a learning to paint kit to teach me how to paint skin, I would prefer to have it be based solely on that feature. I am not buying a kit for a specific purpose to fill a general purpose need. I could use my own paints to finish the figure. I would be going under the assumption that either a) the person already has some access to other painting supplies, or b) plans to get into the hobby and will be getting other paints in the near future. A disclaimer on the box itself could just indicate that this kit is for the express purpose of developing and improving techniques to make your flesh look alive, or un-alive as the case may be. Paints included in this kit are for this purpose.

If you're going to paint ghoul flesh or orcs, you;d be includng some greens and greys and blues and maybe even yellow. Those extra colors might be enough to satisfy the generalists.

Hair, I would leave to a future hair/feather/furs kit. There is so much that can go into just the variety of fleshtones, the shading due to musculature, highlights, blushes, etc.

Also, skip the brushes and add another bottle or two of paint.