Balrog Lotr Miniature

Here is one of my latest. This one gave me a fair ammount of trouble. I was very happy with the start and sculpted on some additional flames on the foot and left hand. I had gotten far enough I wanted to give him two coats of sealer on normal matte for streangth then a dullcoat.

Well the dullcoat did not get rid of the glossy look so I thought ok I gave him another coat wich only made it worse.

I had shaken the can very well and I have seen that dark colors even with dullcoat can sometimes give a glossy look anyway. So sitting down a little miffed I decided to redo many of the highlights and dark shadows.

well after another 3 hours or so it was starting to look good. I run out of normal Dragon black and start using my new Pure black master colors now I paint along and suddenly I notice a glossy look to the miniature again and I think oohhh its the paint is not completly dry yet and I go on and then later chek okay they paint is dry but drying in gloddy coat. I go AAaaaarRRrrrgghhh now I have to spend another hour on correctnig my mistake and go back and find some final Dragon black to get rid of the new gloss.

Uuuuuffff now enough ranting and back to work here he tho :wacko:

Balrog.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That, is a great looking sculpt. It doesn't have a flaming whip though :down:

Wonderful job on the lighting effect at his feet. Nice fire/lava effect in the cracking. Given how much light sourcing is at the feet though, it seems like the sword is not casting as much light from an equivalent sized source to the arm and leg on that side.

I love this mini! (Not sure you can call something that big a mini?)

A great rendition you've done here VL. I love the glow, especially around the floor area. Doesn't look too glossy from here either so your extra efforts must have been rewarded (albeit frustrating).

A minor point but with the glow created around his foot I wonder if the flames on his back shouldn't create more of a glow along his wings? Doesn't detract at all.

He looks great (even if the flames are technically back to front) and the light sourcing is very nice. It's funny you should say the master series pure black dries with a gloss sheen though, mine is so flat that dulcoate adds a sheen the models didn't have :blink:

I can explain with the flames backwards thing, I watched the Balrog in slowmo quit a few times I wanted to get him as right as I could. The Flames on his back actually comes out white hot like its a furnace and then it turns into orange flames. Most painted examples of the Balrog that I have seen didnt catch that.

When I finished the lightsource on the base I was basicly out of time on the Balrog. I looked at the Sword and the flames on the back I added some more light source some of wich dont show up well in the picture. It would have been cool tho if I had had the time for it.

:B):

I agree with your take on the flames. It's closer to the movie than others that I've seen...flame is a strange thing to paint. It's such a chaotic moving thing, the color shift is not always "perfectly exact". So when people say you've got it backwards...thats not really accurate here, I think it is a spot on match to the reference material and the overall effect is just "Wow!" :wacko:

I really like how the skin looks leathery, like hide...a great texture there, and the base is just freaking amazing...very dramatic.

Niloc hmm I think with light source its not being afraid of adding the color thats why I stayed away from it so long thinking I would mess up.

On the flagstone I used basicly the same color I used in painting the flames Gws Blood red and Brilliant yellow tube color Liquitex.