Sign in to follow this  
ThePolo

Photo Filters in Photoshop.

The Levels and Variations thread was a bit hit, I guess... So I decided to re-post this (from my website) here... I know a few folks out there will get a kick out of it:

Applying Photo Filters in Photoshop:

Photographers often use Filters - the colored pieces of plastic that fit over a camera lens - to enhance, or correct the lighting conditions in their scene, change the color of thier subject, or add special effects (like fog, or that Glamour Shots soft halo). In photography, colored filters stop certain wavelengths of light from reaching the film. A blue filter doesn't add more blue to a picture, instead, it takes away a little bit of all the other colors. The filter would allow mainly blue wavelengths from the subject to reach the film.

Photoshop's Photo Filters tool work very similarly. It re-colors pictures by enhancing warm or cool colors, or by re-tinting the photograph to a specific hue. The filters are especially useful to us mini-painters to correct our amateurish lighting rigs!

OgreMage_f.jpg

This photo of a Reaper Ogre mage isn't too bad... but it suffers from some yellow color cast that is common when taking pictures under incandescent bulbs. To easily correct this, we'll apply a cooling filter in Photoshop.

PhotoFilter1.jpg

Tip: We're going to apply the Photo filter as an adjustment layer. On the top menu, just Click "Layer" --> Adjustment Layer --> Photo Filters. If you apply the Photo Filter directly to the image, it will permanently change the pixels of that image. Applying it as an adjustment layer allows you to modify the filter at any time.

PhotoFilter2.jpg

From the drop down list, choose 'Cooling Filter (80)'.

PhotoFilter3.jpg

Now, the straight filter makes our miniature look a little bit too blue. So, we're going to adjust the density to suit the subject. In this case, 17% seems to be just about right (simply eyeball it to find the right setting).

PhotoFilter4.jpg

And here's our finished Ogre. It's not perfect, but it's far better than what we started with... and with only 1 step, and a few mouse clicks! After a level adjustment, this baby should be ready to show off!

Hope this is of use to someone!

What version of Photoshop are you using? CS? 7 doesn't seem to have these. I have to warm my photos the hard way. ::;):

Hmmm... Yep, I'm using CS... I was under the assumption that these were available in 7 as well... I have 7 on another PC here in my office... lemme check to see if they're hidden in there somewhere... if not, I may have to post how to do this the hard way!

(The hard way is to create a manual adjustment layer of the right shadw of blue and screen it... same amount of steps, just a pain in the butt...) ::):

Yep... looks like I need to create another one... "How to Fake the Photo Filter"... If I get some free time at lunch, it shouldn't be to hard.

- You just need to create a new fill layer of the same blue as the cooling filter (Hex: 006DFF or RGB: 0,109,255).

- Then set the layer mode to Overlay.

- Then set the fill opacity to 17%.

It should come out the exact same as the photo filter (the Photo Filter's basically doing the same thing) I'll try and get a shot or two up later today!

How to Fake the Photoshop Photo Filter

Okay, I'm taking the same 'before' picture, but here I'm going to 'fake' the photo filter by overlaying the same blue color as the Cooling filter above.

OgreMage_f.jpg

Before Pic

First, we need to create a new fill layer by clicking "Layer -> New Fill Layer -> Solid Color"

FakePhoto.jpg

From the 'Mode' dropdown, choose 'Overlay'.

FakePhoto2.jpg

And we're going to go with 17% opacity here, just like in the Photo Filter above. (You can adjust this later if it doesn't look right!)

FakePhoto3.jpg

Next, we're going to assign the right color to the Fill Layer that we just created. You can do this by double clicking on the layer from the Layer's Pallate. We're going to choose the color Hex: 006DFF , by entering that value into the 'Hex' box.

FakePhoto4.jpg

And, once you click okay, Voila! There's the finished product.

PhotoFilter4.jpg

Hope that helps, Kit!

Hope that helps, Kit!

I was just hoping you'd clarify for those who have older versions expecting to find something they didn't have access to.

Appreciate it.

Kit, IIRC, there is something similar in Photoshop 5.5 (which I have at home, but since I'm not there I'll have to look at it maybe tomorrow).

From my experience, Photoshop from one version to another is different. Also, different image software works differently. So trying to apply this to Paint Shop Pro, for example, won't work exactly the same.

This is why it's so hard to explain some aspects of Photoshop to people, since so many people have different versions.

I was just hoping you'd clarify for those who have older versions expecting to find something they didn't have access to.

Hey, Not a problem...

BTW... if you can't make a fill layer, just make a regular 'empty' layer and fill it with the color, and it should act the same way, as long as you can adjust the transparency, and make it an overylay...

Wow that's an awesome tip! I've been going about it the long way... using IMAGE > ADJUST > HUE/SATURATION and then messing around with the different colour channels until I got things looking more natural..or less un-natural as it were. I'm a 6.0 user and had to use the second process you demonstrated.

Here's a pic I filtered, with part of the filter erased.. amazing what a difference it made! ::D:

filtered.jpg

I'm somewhere midway through the vast learning process with PS, and am wondering. CAN that lovely 17% opacity #006DFF fill layer be saved for future use as some kind of selectible filter?

I just checked in Photoshop 5.02 - and with a few more steps it works the same...

I tested on the recently posted "lone wolf"

First I changed my foreground colour to the RGB specifications given - doesn't matter if you can't use the hex code....Code was 0, 109, 255...

Then I added a new layer - double click on new layer and change opacity to 17% and Mode to Overlay

Used the Fill button - (paint bucket) and presto chango - it worked....

Give it a go - I can do it with inserted pics if you need....

Not sure exactly how it works in 6 - but in 5 you can save it as a recordable action - check around your tabs (mine tile down the right side) with layers, channels, paths, history and one named actions...

First open a picture you want to work with - it won't matter which one...

Then on the actions tab - select create new action (indicated by the folded corner page icon) and name it - I used Cooling Filter - you can even assign it a hotkey if you want. Then push Record now...

Go to you picture and make the changes - any changes you make will be recorded...

When you're finished - push Stop - the little black square.

It is saved...

Close the pic you were working on without saving - and reopen it...

Go to your new action, making sure to select the top of it and not just one of the steps, select it and push play - little forward facing arrow...

And before you're eyes it will add the changes you made...save and you're done - even easier if you set it as a hotkey and then just open the pic you want to change and press the assigned button...

Actions can be used for anything you do repetitively...great tool...

If anything is not clear enough - just let me know.... ::D: