Repairing a mini

Kheprera

My T'char had plastic wings, tail, and front legs. The wings were molded okay, but apparently the plastic had some air bubbles for the tail and front legs, leaving some very nasty looking holes in those pieces. Also, since the tail was plastic and wouldn't bend, I could not get it to attach properly so that the top part of the mane matched that that runs along the back while allowing the mini to stand.

I called Ral Partha, rather than emailing them, and talked to a really nice woman. I requested metal pieces to replace those made in plastic (which was all I needed). They sent me the entire figure in metal.

Now, for some reason, I HAVE had this problem on the metal wings. I was trying to prime in black, but for some reason it would go on as if it was heavily thinned in water. I've since washed every piece with dishsoap (after a Pine Sol bath to remove old paint so I can try again) and I'm hoping there was some sort of residue left over from the casting that caused this.

Needless to say, T'Char has been the bane of my existance and is the reason I gave up painting for about 8 years. I got sick and tired of glueing, painting, hating it and stripping the paint and trying again and again. I don't know what it is about this mini that makes it so difficult to put together and paint. It's no where near as many pieces as the WoTC Black Dragon, but T'Char is a real pain.

I got T'Char because in my campaign I had a major villain who was a gigantic red dragon named T'Chareen. I saw how big the mini was and the name and thought "It's fate." (Note, I had this character LONG before T'Char ever hit the shelves). Well, fate has pulled a fast one on me, apparently, since the campaign has long since gone defunct and I still don't have that darned mini together and painted.  :angry:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, there are several reasons why the paint would not stick to the plastic parts. Either the plastic used was of the sort that does not bond well (which means solvent type glues will not work on it), or maybe there was an excessive amount of mold release on it. They must have had a lot of problems with the plastics, as they discontinued them. FYI, if you want to get those plastic parts replaced, call them and ask to get the Mail Order Catalog; this is the one with all the archival pieces in it, T'Char amongst them. You can order individual bits to replace the plastics. However, Ironwind has stated that they will not replace anything produced when they were still Ral Partha since that was a different company (they're splitting hairs and being rather bad about this).

As for the idea of brush on primers, i still say BAD IDEA! Go with spray primer. Make sure you thoroughly degrease each part first to make sure all mold release compounds (usually some sort of teflon or other non-stick spray) are removed, as these will definitely ruin your paintjob. Hope this helps!

All I know is that I'm really glad that I got everything plastic replaced with metal. So much easier to work with. I have no plastic minis. Just don't care for them...

but, as lstormhammer would say, your mileage may vary.

I believe the problem has been solved.

I turned the mini over to my BF who happens to know how to solder things.  Seeing it was lead, and he has lead solder he is going to take a swing at it.  I don't have the tools for doing pinning so I am going to elave this to him.  Thanks for the help guys!

Soldering is going to be really ugly, I guarantee it. At least tell him to get some flux and use that to control the flow of the solder, or you'll have huge nasty looking weld lines. Of course, I would recommend trying to drill and pin, in all honesty. I can tell you exactly what tools and supplies you'll need to do it, if you're interested.

Lord_IronHeart,

That would be wonderful.  Only I have a couple problems, one said mini is now 2200 miles from me, and I do not have the liquid cash right now to spend on things for pinning minis - no matter how cheap they may be, as I am on limited income and have bills to pay.  As it was I was only able to go and visit my BF because another friend gave me the cash for the plane ticket.  I thank you for offering me the advice though and for your offer to teach me how to do it.    :;):