General: Misperceptions?

Super Jag

1. Any one else frustrated with the fact that the BEAUTIFUL Warlord book is available, but so many of it's corresponding models are unavailable? I think back to the game of Chronopia and that company (Target Games) did the same thing and in it lost them over a dozen players in our small town area alone.

OH MY GAWD!! SOMEONE WHO'S PLAYED CHRONOPIA!!

I started into the wonderful world of tabletop gaming via Chronopia. I loved the game! Unfortunately, everyone knows GW and I just get blank stares whenever I mention the game.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to combine some of the concerns and add my opion:

#1 and #5:

I believe that Reaper lacks the resources of a company like GW. So they may put out figures at a slower rate. That's comes with playing a game produced by a smaller company. I'd rather wait for new figs than buy GW. This relates to #5 because I think it illustrates how Reaper is NOT like or trying to be like GW.

#2 and #3:

Being married with children and having a lot of responsibility at work makes me enjoy simple rules. Yet I would call Warlord simple AND elegant. It's easy to learn, plays fast and furious and it gives a good "feel" for what it is trying to portray (a fantasy world). I'd hate to see Reaper start tacking on more specific rules about this magical sword or that super spell or whether or not the wind blowing modifies your RAV. Once that happens I will have to walk away from the game because I don't have time to keep up with what the newest rule says nor do I have the time to play an 8 hour game. Simplicity is good. If you want more detail use house rules.

No comment on #4....

Time to get back to work.

::(:

OH MY GAWD!!  SOMEONE WHO'S PLAYED CHRONOPIA!!

I started into the wonderful world of tabletop gaming via Chronopia.  I loved the game!  Unfortunately, everyone knows GW and I just get blank stares whenever I mention the game.

:devil: probably gonna get in trouble for this, but oh well??!!?!?!

chronopia is back in production and has been revised, as has warzone.

www.excelsiorentertainment.com

enjoy !!!!!!! and wouldn't the stygians be neat as a warlord faction?????

and how about a blackblood troll for reven ??!?!?!?!? for those who don't know, the blackblood troll is a four armed warrior/philosopher. !!!!!! ::o:

1. More and More Models are available every month. I think Only the Darkspawn lack production grunts now, and even my long-suffering reptus have some new greens on the way, according to Chaz.

2. No such animal. The core mechanic is deceptively simple, and that's a good thing. It allows somewhat significant changes to be put into place without throwing off the flow of the game. The fact that all the in-game rolls work the same way (d10+Modifiers > Target Value) means you don't have to worry about what to roll when.

3. If you're having trouble keeping track of which models have performed which actions, get a bunch of glass beads and put them next to models when they have completed an action. If a model has two beads next to it, it's done.

4. The CAV2 Beta test was a tough go, at first. There is a lot there to digest, especially for those of us who were used to playing CAV the old way. However, now that I'm playing both Warlord and CAV2, Rage has become second nature. The biggest difficulty I'm having now is the lack of semi-solid point values for units in the beta. Once those are in place, and we can build forces that aren't mirror images of one another for something other than a 'what if' test (because balance is not likely there) I think things will smooth out on that front. As for finding the transition from Warlord to CAV2 diffifcult, I don't see it happening for someone who has never played CAV1.

5. There are, IMHO, some things Reaper needs to do like GW to survive in the rapidly growing tabletop games market. Most of this has to do with, as mateybob said, getting the product info out in front of the people who want/need to see it (in fact I just wrote a rather large post on this).

Other things they can look at what GW has done and take steps in exactly the opposite direction (and, again IMHO they are already doing so) . For example, depsite the fact that much noise has been made about the Faction books and power creep, one of the Reaper folks (Pat?) posted the other day that units from faction books are being playtested against both existing units and units from other, yet to be published, faction books. You never hear about that kind of thoroughness coming out of GW, and all to keep the game balanced and the customers happy.

CLARIFICATION ON POINT #2...

I agree that the mechanics of Warlord are SIMPLE... and that's a GOOD thing. What I was trying to say is that the precision of certain rules and mechanics are NOT written thoroughly enough. Often they lead to more questions than answers. Anyone else find that to be true?

For the record, the responses so far have been very good with no malice. It's turning out to be what I hoped for which is twofold: Feedback & Alternative opinions.

Also, it should be noted that many players (including disgruntled) do not have access or just don't care to post on this forum. By in large the Reaper forum members are positive and when it's all said and done are quite happy with Reaper and will continue to support the company. So, if anyone has comments, from non forum players, contrary to what's being posted then please forward those here too.

Much of what I post comes from my area players (including me sometimes). I simply continue preaching the gospel of Reaper, take notes from my players, then forward the feedback to the company... like this thread.

Just a quick note about #1 and the GW comparison...

Just this week GW finally released a model for the Eldar Wave Serpent... 6 years (or more?) after it appeared in the army list... So not even the "massive GW" can get their models out in time for their games... Most gamers can cope - especially if they know the models ARE actually coming ::):

Russell.

And the wave serpent was just a rejigged Falcon with about four pieces enlarged, for a mere $20 extra!

Don't talk to me about models released for army lists, no-one has ever done it except maybe GW when they were only re-releasing the army list they've been producing for 10 years.

Reaper grunts are more expensive because they are metal, quality collector's pieces rather than plastic crap that sells for $0.00 second hand because it is WORTHLESS TRASH and you might as well use a paper cut-out and throw your money away.

Beta testing rules is a drag. Beta testing points for a ruleset that's 90% complete is fun!

Fast, sleek rules are good. Warhammer is both complex and slow but not particularly detailed at a tactical level. Defiance/ Formerly Known as Starslayer is tactically rich and fast playing (compared to WHFB) so I'm sure Warlord can do that too.

Warlord's miniatures are OUTSTANDING. They are *worth* collecting. Having a game for them, and army and background fluff, is just icing on the cake.

I like Warlord and I think that there is nothing wrong with the game thus far. Sure some things aren't clarified perfectly in the rulebook. That's kind of what these forums are for though. You can ask anything here and it gets answered.

I think people should spend less time complaining about how this game is NOT like GW and spend more time THANKING Reaper for NOT being GW!

Warlord is a better game, and the models are infinitely better.

Plus you don't need to spend 300 bucks to get an army started.

Lots of people in Omaha at least...are taking notice. They are seeing this awesome game that is so simple yet it is so fun! And unlike WHFB we can get a 4 person game played from beginning to end in an hour or so. Which means I can usually get 5 games in on a Saturday. In WHFB you would be lucky to get one.

EVEN THE ADHD KIDS CAN PLAY THIS ONE PEOPLE!!!!!

AMEN TO THAT!!!

I like Warlord and I think that there is nothing wrong with the game thus far. Sure some things aren't clarified perfectly in the rulebook. That's kind of what these forums are for though. You can ask anything here and it gets answered.

Well, that's fine and dandy for those of us who actually know about and make use of this forum. It would seem there are far more players who don't even know it exists... thus, how do they get their confusions rectified?

It's too easy for players to get confused, ESPECIALLY considering the fact that Warlord has uniquely different rules/mechanics. I just find that too often the wording of some rule leaves more room for "assumptions" than necessary.

Reaper grunts are more expensive because they are metal, quality collector's pieces rather than plastic crap that sells for $0.00 second hand because it is WORTHLESS TRASH and you might as well use a paper cut-out and throw your money away.

I'd say that a scan of eBay would prove otherwise. The market for Reaper product (which doesn't even have it's own category) is very small and the resale value is a notably smaller percentage than Games Workshop. From personal experience I sold all my well painted GW product for considerable PROFIT above the original value. Reaper painted miniatures are lucky to sell at retail value of blister cost. This doesn't change much for NIB items.

Of course, I find that I prefer keeping my Reaper product and was relieved to off load my GW forces. Thank Reaper for entering my life when they did. :wub:

Self-Edit... started getting off topic. :poke:

ok as far as resale value of products..two small differences that deal primarily in this subject.. first off reaper is still a fairly new company hasnt been out as long.. GW has been out for a long time not to mention thing that drives me nuts about GW is like every 3 - 4 years they seem to redesign all there minis (example i know that the tyranids have been remade atleast once the whole line and now i hear they are doing it again making there older models collectors items) which brings me to example 2 most of reaper minis are to new to the market and dont fully fit a collectors items with value to it.. for example.. in battle tech a mini called the marauder got discontinued over 9 years ago because it was sued for copyright infringment now that minis which sold for 9 bucks is worth over 80 to true collectors of fasa products... market changes like that increase value of products.. ::P:

To be brutally honest, around here there are only a handful of people who even think about buying a rulebook before they've been given a demo or three of a game system.

To make the Games Workshop Comparison yet again, You're complaining that a brand new, 1st edition rulebook has a few vague sections when the Warhammer Fantasy Brand is nearing the end of the 6th edition release cycle, has a rulebook teetering on 300 pages without army lists, and has enough errata published to fill an army book all by itself? I also don't know anyone who simply sat down, read those rules cover to cover, and came out of the experience with a complete and infallible understanding of the system, ready to play with total recall of encyclopedic knowledge.

While I understand your desire to have a rules system that has as few holes in it as possible, I also think you underestimate the fallability of the english Language as a whole. For example, when we recently published an update to our associate handbook concerning overtime rules, some of the associates chose to interpret the change to mean that they would be paid 1.5 time for all hours less than 48 worked in the week, even though that's a totally ludicrous interpretation of the text of the memo.

I don't think that I would call a company that has been around since 1992 new. Reaper is only new in the sense that Warlord is new. And they certainly had a foray into the gaming market with Apocolypse for the Dark Heaven line.

Both companies have their strength and weaknesses I would like to see Warlord become a strength. Now I have considerable experience with a broad range of rulesets and I did not find Warlord particularly difficult to comprehend and it is certainly no more vague than any other ruleset on the market whether they are historical or fantasy. It has some spots that I think could have been better written but you can never pick those all out the first time through. Its already been pointed out the WHFB is in its sixth edition and is still full of errata. Warlord is certainly heads and shoulders above the 1st-3rd editions which were rife with errors and ambiquities.

I'm happy to lump Warlord in with Spearhead. I think that it is a game that you can go six months without playing but can bring yourself back up to speed in 20 minutes or so.

I don't think collectibility is an issue. I certainly understand that miniatures can become more valuable when they go oop but by and large most of us are in it for the game and you the hue and cry from the GW fans when their miniatures are made obsolete by the rule system is probably the single largest complaint. Just talk to all those dwarf players that had regiments of speararmed troops. Those types of changes not only make the miniature obsolete but make them difficult to sell, except to folks who don't care if your miniatures are official or not for the game they play.