Wotc's loss is reapers gain...

ThePolo

Check this link out, if'n ya want....

Here's a summary:

"Dungeons & Dragons Miniature Game launches this fall...This game will be randomly packed pre-painted plastic miniatures."

Gah! Randomly packaged...pre painted... plastic! Well, looks like my lead allowance isn't going to be going to WotC this year. Way to go, Hasbro.

There were a lot of things I didn't like about Chainmail, but the mini's were metal, many of them were decent sculpts, and some of them werevery original... Why the new 'official' line is going the way of mage knight...well, I was going to say I'll never know... but I guess it's fairly obvious.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, so much for Chainmail.

Bring on Warlord!  With it's glorious metal figs!  I'll push it on all the Chainmail players who are still standing around stunned at having their game yanked out from under their feet so quickly...

If they wanted painted plastic figs, they'd have just bought Mage Knight... isn't that obvious?  Does WotC think they can out-Mage-Knight Mage Knight?  That would be like out-D&Ding D&D...

:::Shakes head in dismay:::

WHEN!!!!  When will they learn???  When this game cans, then they'll be looking around wondeirng what the heck happened and pretending to be surprised.

ANyone want to bet me a painted Jonas Kane that Mat Smith will get all gooshy-skwishy over how cool the game really is.  He'll tip the scale with his adulation on how neato-cool the prepainted minis are too I bet.

Sigh.

Go go WotC...

no. its an elaborate scheme. eventually, they will make D&D metals, just like MKM, then they'll double the price and go the way of T$R

Actually, the Mage Knight Metals weren't too bad.  Many of them were complete resculpts and didn't resemble the original Mage Knight figs at all.  The resculpts were used for the Mage Knight unlimited figs with different grade of plastic which is why many of hte unlimited figs look much better than the original Rebellion figs.  It's a pity the Mage Knight Metals were a limited run, as some of the resculpts were not bad.  Not as nice as your average Reaper fig, and more expensive, but had their role.

In fact I picked up a bunch of the Mage Knight Metals deep spawns for cheap and I'm using them as 'fishmen' thugs and the two Reaper Slithe figs as the priestesses in charge.

WotC is on my list!

I was so irate over the fact that they produced a great book for the "Wheel of Time" RPG, released ONE supplement, and then, basically, said: that's it --- have fun! We made our money. Studies show that only the first two books of an RPG sell, so we're not doing it anymore. BAH!

*sigh*

WoTC is going the way of T$R.... as soon as they were sold to Hasbro I could have predicted this.

Sorry, but someone who deals mostly in child bored games (yes, I said bored) and toys should not try and make RPG's. It just doesn't mix.

I know this is going to sound wierd from the Lead Kvetcher around the Forums. But if WotC wants to dump money into a MageKnight clone: So the heck what?

So WotC isn't making painting minis I want, so the heck what? I'll take that cash I would have spent on their product and expand my already extensive Reaper Collection. I'll pick up more paints, I'll pick up primer, I'll pick up games and cd's and whatever else I want. Makes no mind to me.

Remember: a Dollar is a vote. When you buy something, you're saying 'yes, I like this product, and I want more of it in my life'. The reason Chainmail tanked is, let's face it, the minis were sub-standard to many other brands out there. I have one, exactly one Chainmail mini I like, and I will paint it up, and use it for something eventually.

--lstormhammer, and his high horse.

I know this is going to sound wierd from the Lead Kvetcher around the Forums. But if WotC wants to dump money into a MageKnight clone: So the heck what?

So WotC isn't making painting minis I want, so the heck what? I'll take that cash I would have spent on their product and expand my already extensive Reaper Collection. I'll pick up more paints, I'll pick up primer, I'll pick up games and cd's and whatever else I want. Makes no mind to me.

Remember: a Dollar is a vote. When you buy something, you're saying 'yes, I like this product, and I want more of it in my life'. The reason Chainmail tanked is, let's face it, the minis were sub-standard to many other brands out there. I have one, exactly one Chainmail mini I like, and I will paint it up, and use it for something eventually.

--lstormhammer, and his high horse.

Unfortunately, lstorm, the problem arises where 1) the younger masses who have just jumped on the D&D bandwagon don't know better yet, 2) those yahoos who believe they have to buy every single D&D product produced (and in their twisted minds Chainmail = D&D) and 3) those who actually think the insta-paint poor plastic sculpts is the "IN" thing of the season.

All those add up to Hasbro thinking this is a GOOD thing when in actuality, in the long term (which we all know companies don't think about) it's merely killing their customer base. If companies would start thinking in the long term and see the big picture, things would be a lot different. Unfortunately, that went out with the 1950's. *sigh*

If companies would start thinking in the long term and see the big picture, things would be a lot different. Unfortunately, that went out with the 1950's. *sigh*

Fortunately, not around Reaper HQ. :)

ReaperIvy

(proud to work for a company founded and run by gamer accountants!)

Well since I guess I'm the only one around here that liked the CM figures I was hoping CM II would be worth waiting for. Guess not...

Seems that since CM couldn't compete with Warhammer now they're going to take a swing at Mageknight.

I do not buy pre-painted plastic figures. And I won't buy these. I hardly buy anything from WotC anymore because they haven't put out anything I find interesting.

Well as I said, I'm really big on free market economics. So even more of my money will be going to Reaper. Maybe these will be a big hit for WotC, I wish them well. Nevertheless; that's more of my money they won't be getting.

I just think it's sad to have seen TSR go down the drain and I wonder more and more each day if WotC will end up dropping the entire line. They already sold off their on-line store and Dragon magazine. Personally I'm to the point I wish WotC would sell off AD&D to someone that actually knows how to handle RPGs. Still I have my player handbook and dungeon masters guild (1st, 2nd, and 3rd ed) so even if they go belly up... so what?  I'll still go on playing.....

I bought almost all of the CM figures.  I really liked the dwarves they were making, and the gnolls were beautiful  (but then again, most of those sculpts were done by certain masked men who, of late, now work for Reaper.)  I bought into the game too.  I really wanted to like it.  I needed a D&D mass combat to offset the GW system.  It tanked, and I'm back to Warhammer.

I'm now tossing my eggs in the Reaper basket.  With GW continuing on its way, and WotC being buried under Coporate dollar deadlines, I wouldn't be surprised if the market suddenly finds itself susceptable for competitive little guys who actually play the game.

I'm gonna wager that Reaper will need to double their staff in the next year or two.