Orc flesh

TKD

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lot of military colors in my inventory.  For orc flesh, a gray-green paint for German uniforms (heavy accent toward gray) works well for me.  I don't have a name for the color as the label has worn off.

The color is usually referred to as Feldgrau. I personally like Vallejo for this color for early war Germans, but Polly Scale is a better shade for late war germans (a bit more grey; early war shade was a very distinct green).

IIRC the "green" orc thing is popularized by the GW croud. Orcs in LOTR have been depicted as being dk grey (I don't have my books here--in the middle of a move--so I can't pull the quote). In 1e AD&D orcs were brown or a greenish-brown.

I paint my orcs the same color I base WWII German early war tanks...basically equal parts black and white with NO blue or other color added to the mix.

Damon.

I've painted orcs green, yellow and gray.  The green orc is the traditional orc I think (recall that even in the old classic Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon that the orcs were green.)  I painted a horde of Ral Partha Goblins (the sort that shipped with the infamous Orc War Machine) yellow, inspired from a painting by (I think) Clyde Caldwell.  (It had an orc band attacking a castle, and the center piece of the painting had a couple of knights cautiously approahcing the woudned orc command.)  They turned out sort of neat.

Ahem. Although goblins and such have been many colours in folklore, Tolkien depicted his orcs as ranging from palid gey to dark grey and black.... colours, perhaps, associated with war, fire, smoke, death. Tolkien was a veteran, see?

GW are prolly not the only ones to depict orcs as green. But they certainly are the only ones to EVER think of including orcs in scifi, or abbreviating "Goblin" to "Gobbo". Just ask them.

I usually do gray. I did one orc using Reaper's orc flesh and then dry brush gray over. It came out pretty neat. I would add the link to my web page, but the picture I took of him isn't that wonderful. Can't really see the color sceme too well. Oh well, the picture of his back side not too bad, if you don't mind looking at an orc butt!

Lady Tam

http://www.geocities.com/flying_heart_production/orc.html

i've been to your site before actually, but I neglected the orcs page. I must say that i'm a fan of your work. i think the last orc is what i'll try.

I am blushing here. My stuff is nice, but compared to some here......But thanks for the compliment. I needed that tonight. :D

Lady Tam