Magical bindings

Lady Tam

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. What do you guys use to keep those pesky PC mages, cleric and any spellcaster prisoner? And what about those psions? I am looking for creative ways to keep them "put" in thier cells when I capture them.

lady Tam

You keep them prisoner!?!

Dr.Evil take Scotts advice a pop a cap in 'em :;):

OK, first and formost: Strip search and take away everything! No componants means no spell casting. If they're lawful types, you could do a parole-style thing, especially if they're nobles. They're given freedom of movement, but if they attempt to escape, then they will be incarcerated again.

If they continue to try, well, we've all seen Pulp Fiction, and you can give them a gimpsuit that keeps them from casting spells.

Otherwise, just pop a cap in them.

--lstormhammer

How 'pricy' are you willing to get? How 'rulesy' do you want to be?

As DM, I've gone both ways in the past.

.From the "Magic doesn't work here... why? Ummm... you don't know!" ie: I'm the Dm and I declare it so!

.To the "Well, based on the runes inscribed upon the bars and walls of the cage you think that it may be a clever combination of the "Anti-magic field" and "Dispel Magic" effects!"

I'd say that the second is better, DM "ethics" wise (don't want to pull out the "Because I said so" logic too often, do we?) But the second, is trickier... especially if you've got a rabid rules lawyer in the party.

If your villain has the resources, I'd say present the PCs with the cell (or cage, whatever). Have the walls and bars richly engraved with runes and connecting geometric patterns that all seem to be tied into one central point. A spellcraft/knowlege arcana check (DC 18) will reveal that it is a combination of effects, dispell magic and antimagic field among them (as well as dimentional anchor)... but they seem to be 'keyed into' the bars somehow... One bar, or multiple bars, in particualar (if they manage to make the check at a DC 20-25... up to you).

The secret? (spoiler here, if'n you'r a player) Well... what would happen if you crafted the effects of a rod of absorbtion and a rod of cancelation into the bars of the cell, and 'spread' that effect through the space of the cell with a sort of spell 'matrix'...

Like I said, a pricy otion, but better than "Ummm... your spell doesn't work here... it's magic or something..."

First thing popped into my mind was the Spelljacker from Shadowrun which covers their head and eyes and ears.. so they're sensory deprived (and see naught but pretty lights and hear naught but what the gm wants them to)

I like the gimp suit idea, too. Much less expencive then an anti magic shell...

Oh, I've also used similarly endowed shackles on mages in the past...

And lstormhammer's 'gimp suit' is a good option. Shadowrun has a similar device called a 'Mage-Mask'. Basically a soundproof hood with a gag built in. No line of site & no somatic components nips most spells right out.

Alright. What do you guys use to keep those pesky PC mages, cleric and any spellcaster prisoner?

Using which frame of reference for the spellcasters' abilities and limitations? Stripping one of his belongings achieves naught if magery can be done by thought alone, and robbing the prisoner of his sight does little to hamper his ability to work spells that don't need a line of sight.

In a setting that recognizes such a thing, I would bind the prisoner into contact with a metal that conducts magick (like copper on Asoka) whereas in settings with strong divine influence it may be impossible for a magick-wielder to work his magicks on ground sanctified for an opposing deity, in Unknown Armies it may be possible to force an adept to break his Taboo and thus lose his charges... indeed, I would not consider a magicker imprisoned before I had completely negated his magick by whatever setting-specific means. If there are no (meta)physical means to do so, unwilling cooperation works too.

In one home game, I introduced the idea of angreal, sa'angreal and ter'angreal as an easy way to bring in the a'dam (which is what the bracelet and collar are called -- sul'dam are the 'bosses')... went over very well... and nobody ever randomly put on a necklace that detected as magic ever again.

:D

Gimp suits, if you've seen The Simpsons:

The one-armed guy (name???) ties up Snake and Officer Wiggum in a gimp suit-like get up on chairs (a nod to PF) in the Tales of Springfield episode.

Actually, that episode may have a different title, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Been a while since I've seen Pulp Fiction also...

:(

1) Tie up hands and feet completely seperately. No slack in the chain (yes, metal, with manacles that have several locks that reach from wrist to halfway up the upper arm. Go on, try and get your fingers to your elbow when you can't bend it to reach just the first lock...)

2) Eyepatch over each eye, then blindfold. For that verbal stuff, shove a metal ball slightly larger than a ping pong ball into the mouth and secure with a leather strap that ties behind the head. Finish off with a solid material hood with a nice heavy metal collar with a good sized lock.

3) Metal band around the waist that is locked and attached to wall, just like the arms and legs are attached to the wall.

If a psion/mage/theif/whatever can get out of that, I'd be pretty darned surprised.

Then again, I'm a mean GM.

To make it even more difficult, have the same setup, but have the prisoner suspended over a large vat of boiling oil or cheese or whatever (boiling cheese, btw, hurts as it sticks to where it touches and it's darned hard to get off) and make certain there are no ledges nearby. Prevent the swinging maneuver by having four chains also hooked to the floor.

:p