Glue of choice

Daley's Dragoons

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using the classic cheap as chips unbranded cyanoacrylate superglue for mine and it works just fine. I don't think pinning is a bad thing in the long term, though, as it guarantees a good solid joint. I do occasionally use an Epoxy called Araldite Rapid for large joints, but I find superglue wins the day most of the time, especially if I work in a slightly humid atmosphere- it dries in contact with water. Leech (I think) had the top tip of coating the surfaces of the areas to be bonded with a thin coat of water to aid superglue drying and this works really well. Glue- who'd have thought it could be such a sticky subject...?

As I've already advertised, two-part epoxy is my general purpose glue of choice. Works like a charm and stands up to the abuse that is gaming, transportation and using those 200-gram chunks of lead as implements of pelting your fellow players with. <g>

For pelting other players.... D4's work best in my opinion.

And yes, that was me. A slight dusting of water over the joint makes a very nice joint... it's especially good for sticking pennies into GW round bases to make the model stand up. Oh and torso joints on CAV's too :o)

I use Citadel superglue mostly, since it's easier to get hold of. However, I've used bostik superglue and a couple of other brands... they're all pretty much the same thing. And there are some joints which I've found HAVE to be pinned regardless of the glue used.

As for undercoating, I use GW's black spray. It goes on well and gives a good surface to paint over. However, some of my friends use Armoury and Coate D'armes stuff as well.

I use Citadel, Belive it or not it's the best deal for as much as you get. I can get a full ounce for around 4 bucks with a plastic applicator, with the other brand i used to use, Jet, i would half of that for the same price. I also use the Citadel primers, they seems to go on really well. and at 8 bucks a can you learn to keep overspray to a minimum  hehe

I use the Bob Smith industries CA glue line.

I use pretty much all the them (each for a specific type of application) I found that the "tire glue" or the black "rubberized" CA work great on joints that have to deal with a lot of stress, like Dictator arms.

They also have a uncure that unsticks finger real well and doesn't stink as bad as nail polish remover.

These glues are the ones that are available with the store that sells them name on it. Kinda like a relabeling thing.

Primer - I usually use the citadel primers because that are a bit thinner than the Krylon and don't hide that details that much.

For plastic I found the absolute best is Ambroid Pro-Weld.

It does has a big list list of warnings on the side label, but I've been using it (or it's equivelant) for the past 15 years. It welds together ANY plastic (except the nylon types).

The only drawback is once it's glued that's it, it's not coming apart.