Narthalisk, the green dragon

TaleSpinner

Oct. 2004: Still tying...

Nov. 2004: Still tying...

Early Dec. 2004: Still tying...

Christmas week: "Hello Narthalisk." Paints in new pots are still good. I love my new pots. :wub:

You sure this shouldn't be "still tying?" ::P:

VERY cool job. I really like the wings, like others. Consdier this effect ripped off! :lol:

Damon.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for the compliments. :blush:

That's some insane wing-work there. Care to share any technique?

Sure, as follows:

1. Painted the wing fingers dark green.

2. For the top of the wings I, blended the finger color inward on the membranes with a lighter green color. For the underside I blended the yellow-green from the center of the top membranes inward from the fingers to a light yellow-green.

3. Washed the wings with a black wash on top and a med-brown wash on the bottom to darken them a bit and add variablilty.

4. Painted the dots. Narthalisk has pits over about 3/4 of the membrane surfaces. Using paint thined as for highlighting, I filled each pit. I then added the spots to the rest of the membranes to evenly distribute them. I used very dark green on top and olive on the underwing.

5. Between the spots, I used a thin highlighting mixture a shade lighter than the basic membrane color. With this I carefully overlapped just the edges of each spot to soften their look a bit.

6. Then, between the spots again, I added one more lighter shade of highlighting, more toward the center of each membrane section.

Thats what I did for the wings. The fingers and wing claws I highlighted normally.

My goal with the wings was to give a camoflage effect such that if seen from below the wings would look like sun dappled tree tops and from above a a darkly dappled forest floor seen through leaves.

This is a great looking dragon, my only suggestion is there seems to be a lack of contrast on the breast/belly plates. It could be the picture, but a sharper contrast would help them pop.

Yeah, I struggled with these. I had them as a four layered gold/green color, but they seemed to detract from the rest of the mini and pull away from the camo effect, so I streaked in some olive highlights. Honestly, I love the look of them, but they really didn't show very well in the picture. Maybe I will try to get a better shot of the breastplates for you tonight.

Thanks a lot for your comments everyone. Your warm reception of this mini has really made my day. ::D:

TS

QUOTE (TaleSpinner @ Feb 8 2005, 05:26 AM)

Oct. 2004: Still tying...

Nov. 2004: Still tying...

Early Dec. 2004: Still tying...

Christmas week: "Hello Narthalisk." Paints in new pots are still good. I love my new pots. 

You sure this shouldn't be "still tying?" 

It got close. I finished all of the flys the weekend before Christmas. I was so relieved. I tied for an hour a day for 3 months for all of the fly-fishers in the familly. I did some rather complex patterns such as grasshoppers and crayfish. I suppose they are miniatures in their own right, but get very repitive and boring over time.

I'm amazed not only at the quality of the mini, but the fact that it turned out so well given the amount of time you spent on it. I've got the silver dragon which I painted the wings on almost a year ago, and I haven't touched it since (they came out really well too, I did this cool red-grey blending thing)

what can I say that hasn't already been said?! It is absolutely bEAUUUUUtiful!! And I too love the mottled look on the wings.

I'm fly fisher ignorant...did you take any pictures of your grasshopper and crayfish lures? I'd be interested in seeing your "other miniature" work.

debby ::D:

p.s. did I mention your dragon here is awesome, green is my favorite color ^_^

Great piece. I'm amazed that you were able to use primarily one color on such a large piece and make it visually interesting.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how impressive the wings are. ::D:

Rex

PS. Belated congratulations on your newborn...er...1 yr old.

I'm fly fisher ignorant...did you take any pictures of your grasshopper and crayfish lures? I'd be interested in seeing your "other miniature" work.

No, but I could probably get my Father-in-law to let me have them back for a few days, since the trout season doesn't open for several more months. It might take me a few weeks though as he lives an hour+ away.

Belated congratulations on your newborn...er...1 yr old.

Thank you.

And thank you all for the great compliments. Makes me want to go paint something else. ::):

TS

Most excellently beautiful Dragon! I love the be-speckled predator.

As to your Photoshop question, I think it has to do the what is called Gamma correction. Normally, the color values your monitor displays are different from true colors, or printing colors for that matter. Generally, you calibrate Photoshop based on a Gamma profile for your monitor. The result will much less problem with color variations and that whole darker problem. Refer to your online help in Photoshop on probably your monitors mfg site. Many monitors have a pre-made profile for Photoshop.

Here is a forum thread that discusses the darker problem: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/archive/i...php/t-4969.html

Here are some other sites that may help you with that calibration:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/321608.html

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Photoshop/T...ration-Article/

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2506.html