Classic Sci-Fi Minis

Nanite

It seems to me that there is not a lot of interest in what most consider to be "Pulp" Sci-Fi. The flash Gordon's, Buck Rogers, and Amazing stories covers of the past seem underrepresented in miniature scales, though they do pop up from time to time in styrene and resin models.

This begs the question, does this reflect a lack of interest overall, or has there not been a product available to get people interested in?

I know of Pulpfigures and Doppleganger, are there others I'm missing (quite possible that)?

I know Reaper is working on a new Sci-Fi line, and truth be told a lot of the Dark Heaven Monsters and Creatures work smashingly in Sci-Fi settings.

What are you’re thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread covers a lot of the same territory: Sky Captain thread

So there's some interest.

Lars - Just curious but by Generic Sci-fi, do you mean like miscellaneous crewmembers or generic aliens?

ETA: Ok, maybe not so much with the interest. I just read on Frothers that Doppleganger halted production: Frothers Unite UK.

Could have something to do with the quality of their sculpts though, and not just the subject.

Yep. Guys in space suits, in battle armor with weapons, perhaps some in "civilian" dress with blasters, pistols, etc. Aliens would be ok but a little iffy...though I guess that's much like fantasy minis (either you can use them or not). If someone were to do aliens, I'd like to see them be truely ALIEN rather than human(oids) with funny rubber masks. Currently, such figures are few and far between. While some can be adapted (Caidans and IG from GW go a long way, as do the VOID militia guys), these can go only so far. Really, though, some of my SF needs are very esoteric, so I'd probably end up doing conversions anyway...but something non-setting specific will ALWAYS be useful

Damon.

I thought a while back that Reaper planned to take the ball and run with it on general scifi minis or AICOM figures. There has been previous discussions and threads on this. I guess AICOM figures are low on the priority list. With Reaper's quality, I had hoped to see more by now. The limited figure releases are great but would like to see much more. Been waiting for 2 years now, guess will have to wait 2 more.

rm