What to bring to the Asylum paint club?

well sat the 19th im gonna b in texas and im planning on going 2 the asylum for the painting workshop. i know that u can only use reaper products but i need 2 know what do i need 2 bring. my LGS doesnt carry any reaper paints at all or brushes they barely carry any figs i have 2 have them special order my pieces. can anyone give me a list of what i need 2 bring with me or do i just need my check book for all the paints im gonna have 2 buy. also what all goes on at the workshop ive been told that anne teaches how 2 paint hands on so im thinking that well all have pieces 2 paint. am i correct in that thought?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anne mentioned in an earlier post that you really just have to bring brushes and whatever you want to paint unless you want to purchase stuff there.

Also, try and bring your most recent paint job so Anne can see where you're at and help you better. ^_^

I've attended a paint club and no one ever said one word about everything you bring having to be Reaper. The use of the Reaper paints was offered (they have two sets on the tables I believe), there are lamps to give you light, there were several minis being painted that were not Reaper models, and there wer even paints that were not Reaper. The discussion often turned to what types of brushes are best, what paints are best, etc etc, and while Reaper was often part of the discussion in no way was there ever pressure or a presumption that Reaper products were a must. There was no presumption on the part of the people working there that "you have to use . . .," or "the proper way to do this is . . ."

What was really cool about paintclub is that there were at least 3 painters there whose work I could not touch and not one of them was an egoist. All were willing to help with advice, offer instruction, and be of assistance. Ms Foerester was there and was simply amazing. She was working on several (or at least 3) personal projects, but would immediately drop whatever she was doing to help anyone with a question. There was no "hang on a second," or "wait till I finish," or "why don't you ask . . ." She immediatley dropped her personal project to help out whoever had asked the question. She offered thorough explanations, demonstrations, tips, hints, etc. She never acted as though her technique was "the true way," or that she knew the "right way." Everything she said started with "I try this . . ", or "You might consider . . . ," "try practicing." Truly amazing how such a talented painter is so humble about her skill and so willing and ready to share. If the education world had more teachers like Anne . . .

Anyway, Paint Club is awesome. I would suggest just showing up with brushes, a primed mini or two, and something to hold your water to clean brushes. That way you get to use all the really cool paints!

If you are looking for cheap disposable paint palettes go to the local grocery store and grab a few of the AOL CDs or grab old computer CDs that you no longer use. But bring brushes, 1-2 pieces of paper towel, a rinse cup, a few primed minis, and your paints. I always suggest people work with paints they own or are buying because you do not have the other paints at home and can't finish the mini. If you don't have primed minis, then bring money for brush on primer and miniatures. Someone there will probably have a knife and file you could use for flash lines.

ok so all i need TO bring is my whole paint table?? ::D: just joking. So its cool if i just bring my palettes, brushes, primed mini, paper towels, and cups for clean water. i really dont want to bring my paints because all i have are GW stuff and that would kind of be rude in my opinion. Also is there a fee for this, is it free and Anne donates her time or what. i havent seen anyone say anything about the cost. if it is free do we tip?

btw im old as well! im just used to using 2 & b

digital i found a real cheap disposable palette. my wife sells makeup and she has all these little plastic trays with 10 small cups in them they work really well she buys 100 of them at a time so i just take what i need ::P:

I should add, I learned the basics of how to paint from Anne, in a class she and Jen taught here in Chicago. Then I was able to meet with a Friday night paint group that Anne and many other excellent painters attended. It was a fun and educational experience. I picked up enough understanding that now the articles on the web have actual meaning and value and I am comfortable experimenting with my painting style. I have no artistic talent, so I will never be great, but I am very happy with what I think I can achieve.

LOL @ digital thats great that u think u have no artistic talent bcuz i think im even worse than you in that dept. my stick figures look FAT! but now im confused i was under the impression that this was a clinic/club and that anne actually teaches how to do some techniques. or is this more along the lines of a group of people just getting together and painting (kinda like a D&D game instead of RPing they paint?)

if this isnt where i need to go to learn some of the more basic and advanced stuff where? mind you i live in KS and i cant find anyone around here who can teach me.