Average Board Size?

DETHSTRYKER

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Standard" gaming board is 4' x 6'. It works for lots of gaming systems and you can easily downsize to 4'x4' for smaller games.

There are lots of places online with plans for construction of these surfaces. My favorite one (I'll have to try to find a link again) actually built a 4'x8' table, but one foot of space on either of the short ends was covered in linoleum tile for holding books, eliminated models, and had nice borders to keep rolled dice in place.

If I was building a table for my basement again, that's the one I would build.

The "Standard" gaming board is 4' x 6'.  It works for lots of gaming systems and you can easily downsize to 4'x4' for smaller games. 

There are lots of places online with plans for construction of these surfaces.  My favorite one (I'll have to try to find a link again) actually built a 4'x8' table, but one foot of space on either of the short ends was covered in linoleum tile for holding books, eliminated models, and had nice borders to keep rolled dice in place.

If I was building a table for my basement again, that's the one I would build.

I think it was the Drunken Dwarfs table... it also was set up so that the playing surface was removable.. so you can have 4x4 flat boards.. one side green and the other being desert or something - so you could just flip them.

I'm not sure their site is active anymore :(

It depends on you space, but a fun CAV game can be played on a 4x4 table. 4x6 or 4x8 is also a good size - so if you have the space and you can, go with that because it leaves lots of space open and become more versitile for other games.

Edit: Nope.. it's still active! YAY! Click here for tabley goodness.

Hmmm... Larger then i was planning... May have to section it off in 1/4ths... Maybe 2 2'x4' sections...

Wish i had a big house... or a basement.

Why not make 4 2x2 sections of 2 2x4 halves? You can play a perfectly acceptable game of CAV on a 4x4 table.

Or.... get a big piece of felt (I just bought a 6x9 piece of felt for $8) and cover a folding table, or dining room table.

It's what we are doing at our place right now, since I don't have a table built specifically for gaming. After dinner, we can clear the table - put some terrain on it and play :) Plus the table has a leaf in it - so we can make it longer if need be, and it's a short hop to the fridge ;)

My last table I built was 8'x 12' (3 home insulation boards) with nooks cut out at one point so that people could reach the middle. It was a fun table, but I didn't like how my nooks forced people to move a certain way, so my table that I am finishing up right now is 6'x8' (2 cropped home insulation boards) and I think its a great size.

And the fact that it is foam insulation stuff, they are still fairly light and portable.

My last table I built was 8'x 12' (3 home insulation boards) with nooks cut out at one point so that people could reach the middle. It was a fun table, but I didn't like how my nooks forced people to move a certain way, <snip>

You always could have made people crawl under the table, and then had a big static volcano in the center for people to climb up through...

Hmmmm.... maybe someone should market a portable claw system for wargaming... Add a little eye-hand coordination to the mix ;)

Fishing Pole + Magnet = CAV Crane

::D:

but how do you get the magnet off the mini ?????

Are minis ferrous? Can you use magnets.

The soultion would be simple - electromagnet :)

Power it up, pick up, move it to where you want it and disconnect the powersource. Building electromagnets is a snap :)

Sure, why don't you just shoot holes in my good ideas with all of that scientific nonsense! ::P:

I used to have a roommate who had a Boa Constrictor. He had one of those 3' long metal arms that he used to lower the rats down into it's cage with, that would work pretty good for this. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, they're those metal pinchers that they use to pick up rattlesnakes with on TV. :lol: It's got a spring-loaded trigger on the handle and the two pinchers on the other end.

Just put some rubber tubing around the pinchers to protect your paintjobs and you should be good to go.

Alternatively, you could build a large scaffolding that covers the table, just a few feet above the surface. Then you could just lie down on the planks and reach down to move the minis. :poke: