EBay

I have been watching painted Reaper mini's on Ebay and there is very little action going on. Many pieces are sold with only 1-2 bids and the prices for quality work can be pretty low. I am also surprised by how many pieces are out there of poor artistic value and how much some of them ask for their minis. Has Ebay lost some of its value for the mini industry?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a flood of lower quality work on the market at times which means that without a good following, it can be tough to garner some good prices for quality work.

eBay is for those - primarily - who want to find bargains. It's just the world's biggest damn garage sale to me.

Consider also the US Economy at the moment... it sucks. I don't care what "W" or the rest say, the economy is hurting and thus there is less disposable income for people to use for luxury/leisure items.

So, yah, it's hurting right now, but like all things I believe it is cyclical in nature. There will be ups and downs. Right now it is in a downward spiral.

Hopefully things will improve... :devil:

I haven't sold on the "bay" in awhile...I've found that steady, paying, commissions are the way to go. Plus, I agree with the comments about folks looking for bargins. Not too many people are shelling out the big bucks for pieces like in the past. Also, it's the time of season right after the holidays, so money might be tight for folks. IMO - "seasonal" ebay sales seem to pick-up after tax time, tail-off during the summer, pick back up when school starts and then back to barely a pulse after the holidays.

Ebay has always been a bit random when it comes to selling painted figures. I think the commonly tossed about rule of thumb is "expect your work to sell for 60% of your commission prices" so commission work is always going to be a better choice for a painter.

I still like putting up a few figures on eBay anyway. Hoping for the odd "big win" due to a bidding war is part of it, but mostly it's fun and stressfree -- I can paint what I want, when I want it, and not worry about a deadline. And if it sells, great.

Plus it's additional exposure for commission work... not that I'll be able to take on any new work for at least a month or two anyway, but that's beside the point. ^_^

Kep

I haven't sold on ebay for awhile either...commissions and seasonal holidays are keeping me pretty busy. That said, right now it's the Chick Challenge as well. After that event is over, then people will be allowed to post pics and sell their stuff. With about 500 entries, you can guess that a lot of the talented are busy.

After that, you guys are making me rethink selling my peices on ebay when the Challenge is over. Maybe I'll try selling them on my website instead for a set amount. Haven't done that before, but my eminion keeps after me to do it. :rock:

i find that most of my friends hunt on ebay for older minis that people are trying to sell off dirt cheap... like "that first mini i ever did" kind of thing..

a friend of mine haded me like 10 poorly painted minis he got off of ebay for me to strip down to plain metal... all old ral partha minis

There seems to be a flood of lower quality work on the market at times which means that without a good following, it can be tough to garner some good prices for quality work.

I agree! I was looking over the latest additions just the other day and I would wager about 70% of it was very low quality work that people were asking $24 + dollars for! That can hurt the quality works since there are over 500+ entries at any given time. In other words, unless you've got a fan base, most people don't like to search through 500 minis to find a gem!

I also think its just that time of the year. Sales always lessen after the holidays, pick up around or after tax time, and so on. But its the influx of poorly done work at high prices that bothers me the most.