EBay

Digital M@

yes, well, I'm waiting...almost patiently. :blink: But I'm still debating whether they should go up on my Sale page or on eBay....any ebayers or sellers have thoughts?

I think you should try the sale page on your site first. If it doesn't sell soon enough on there, then ebay is a second resort (less control of the price, but more visible).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, well, I'm waiting...almost patiently.  :blink: But I'm still debating whether they should go up on my Sale page or on eBay....any ebayers or sellers have thoughts?

I've sold a few minis off my website in the past. Best part is: It's free and not much hassle to get a paypal button on there. And it's up there forever and ever if you like. ^_^

Some also didn't sell on the site and went for much more later on eBay. ie. $150 asked for on the site and $220 later on eBay.

eBay is a bit of a gamble, and the posting fees are getting higher seemingly every couple months. Plus there's the risk of offending the Ebay rules and guidelines and getting an auction cancelled for a stray keyword or link that shouldn't be there. Or a nipple, or a ..... Well, you get the idea

Posting on your site is free and you get exactly what you ask for there.

Snoop around for prices on other peoples' sites for an equivalent of your work if you're having trouble deciding what to charge. (Sue, you charge too little for your work. IMHO anyways)

Then when you have the time and energy, you can post it as an auction! So that way it's always up for grabs. ^_^

[edit] oh duh... there are the paypal selling fees, but they're nothing compared to the percent take of eBay when you do sell.

I've debated painting and selling on ebay, not really to make money to pay bills (I don't think I've reached that level yet) but more to support the hobby (buy additional miniatures, paint, base material .. etc).

That being said, you also have to find something that sells. I LOVE Reaper stuff and have a ton of it here (need to cash in these points for swag) but unless you hit a niche or have picked up a following (Viking Lodge for instance) I have found that sadly Reaper isn't the best selling stuff on there.

Consequently, I'm painting up a GW (I know, I know ... some of you just fell out of your chairs and were repelled from the monitor as a vampire is from daylight) army with another individual and I expect them to sell very well (enough to support my miniature habbit for some time) unless a 'lull' happens anytime soon.

Sad but true.

What kills me though is the slack .... (ok, this is a family board, I'll not add in what I wanted here) ... erm idiots that say 'PRO PAINTED' or 'MAS PAINTED" or anything along those lines and then you pop it up and you see something that looks like it was painted straight out of the pot (no thining) the mold lines are rampant and overall looks like something my five year old would put out and then asking for top dollar.

:grr:

Yes, there are a lot of ebay auctions that use terms like "pro-painted" that certainly aren't high quality.

If you want to see some of the really bad paintjobs, go to the minis/wargames category on ebay and search for "l@@K". I've done that a few times when I'm working late and waiting for things to finish up. Some of those items made the "pro-painted" stuff look brilliant by comparison.

Most of my painted mini buying comes from either searches by seller or direct links from a painter's website.

Oh, I know I charge too little for a lot of my stuff, guys, but really, I wish I could find people willing to pay more! My commissions earn a heck of a lot more than my ebay pieces, but my ebay pieces are often more fun to paint. :rock: I've only broken the $100 mark once on ebay.

So yes, my quoted prices on the website are going up. I've already been charging more for commissions (as most of my commissions these day seem to be larger pieces anyway). Funny how I can't get anyone to pay well for a dragon, though. I can't do it for $100, and people still expect me too! I love to do them, but no one will commission them once I quote a price for a display dragon. :down:

Anyway, Saxon, yes, I've seen your sales page and think I'll do similar. I like the idea of no ebay fees, and my web minion says he's got a shopping cart system that will work, i just have to say the word. He's had the Sales page button on there since day 1 of the new website and I keep telling him later later. :blush: I think that coupled with an ebay piece will help spread the word...I can always ebay it later if it doesn't sell at the price I want, like you guys said. Just some days it seems like I'm banging my head against the price wall...and it hurts!

and maybe I'll go ahead and shock ebayers and put all the no-no keywords in there like "pro-painted" "quality" "demon winner" and maybe with a bit about using the same paints Jennifer Haley did on a certain Confrontation piece, and perhaps with inspiration from SaxonAngel, etc. I'm sure if I put all the cheeky references in there and the spam words , I'll catch some attention somewhere, if for nothing else than a nice change from the usual trash under certain keywords! But then eBay itself my give me some attention. ::o:

and maybe I'll go ahead and shock ebayers and put all the no-no keywords in there like "pro-painted"

Nooooooooo!

Save yourself from committing that mortal sin! :lol:

No really,does that work? I've shuddered at the sight of many "pro-painted" figures on eBay. Those poor, sad chunks of lead! Do folks actually look for that term in a serious effort to buy a decent figure? :huh:

I tend to avoid auctions that list "pro-painted" when I'm home, but when I'm bored working at one of the National Labs at 3AM, I'll sometimes check them out (and even do the "l@@k" search when things really get dull).

Just remember the keywords to avoid in your listing - do not use:

"pro-painted"

"l@@K"

"warhammer base" (unless it is actually a GW figure)

I'm sure there are others.

actually I enjoy putting my pieces on ebay. yeah , i know it`s kind of gamble but it sometimes pays really well. also it has one thing that`s much better than commissions - you decide what to paint by yourself :) . moreover when you sell some stuff and the customers like it you`ll definietely see them checking your auctions and bidding in them in the future and that should generate higher income after some time.

and maybe I'll go ahead and shock ebayers and put all the no-no keywords in there like "pro-painted"

Nooooooooo!

Save yourself from committing that mortal sin! :lol:

No really,does that work? I've shuddered at the sight of many "pro-painted" figures on eBay. Those poor, sad chunks of lead! Do folks actually look for that term in a serious effort to buy a decent figure? :huh:

And just to ruin a usually good ebay rule, now Fredy (Manfred Hautz - austrianfredy on ebay) is listing one of his auctions as "pro painted". At least there's one mini claiming to be pro painted that looks good.

Well, I don't know if it would help, but it would certainly educate some people about what "pro-painted" SHOULD mean! :;):

Does anyone really weed out all "pro painted" in their searches, or do you just ignore them when they come up, or do you look anyway in hopes that it means something good?

Ack! I'll put it up like always and do my announcements and let people find me. It's been so long since something's been up though, I better give some notice, I think, on my website. Time to chat with my eMinion...

Does anyone really weed out all "pro painted" in their searches, or do you just ignore them when they come up, or do you look anyway in hopes that it means something good?

Yes. After a quick check, "-painted", "-pro", and "-l@@k" all show up as search parameters I've used in the past...

Note however that I don't normally look for painted minis on eBay.

ive looked at the stuff on e-bay just to see the comparisons to some of the commision artists here on this forum and its shamefull the quality that some of those people claim as Pro-painted. the few times ive done searches ive just used "reaper, mini, & painted" as my key words in different orders. my skills havent improved enough to take comissions from any real buyers just my gaming buddies and i wouldnt even consider placing something up on e-bay but some of the crud thats for sale is way worse than any of mine. i kinda wondered if the pro-painted key word was supposed to stand for Reaper pro paints not really painted by a professional.

USually I check E-BAy under the painted Reaper category, and the best times to look for well painted minis (viking Lodge, Rog Minis, etc. ) seems to be Saturday ngihts or Sunday mornings. Usually throughout the week, there will be a few decently painted minis, but others--well let's jst say that I considered buying some minis in order to strip the paint, and release them from their suffering.