Sign in to follow this  
FleeingMonkey

UNIT: Goblin Skeeters

Well I have to admit I never throught I would see the day that goblins would be the most expensive basic troop model in the entire book.. Is that correct 64 points? or is that just a misprint, they are even more then the elven archers. Can goblins compaire to elven archers really? All in all I love goblins, and never see them get much love, but I never throught they would make it as the most expensive basic troop in a game.

Anyone try these guys? They worth 64 points?

Well My thought was the same when I saw the point value but look at it this way,

Try putting some of the skeeters and some orc archers in the same group then put them in 2 ranks, don't move, (get 2 shots with skeeters) volley fire. I've only played one game against dwarves and that is what I did and my 4 gobos and 3 orcs killed more enemy models then anything else on the whole battle field.

Besides elven archers don't have Defensive shot. That seems to be huge... put 5 gobo archers lined up shooting at 5 elven archers and see what happens. The gobos get to fire both in there turn and when being shot at. And on top of that they both have 3 RAV.

I don't know if they are better then elf archers but being small they don't block line of sight. And think about this.. if you play a large game 2000 pts you can put neek, 9 orc archers, 10 skeeters and you can do lots of damage. cause look at all the shots you can get. Put them in 2 groups with 2 ranks 5 gobos 4 orc and 5 gobos 5 orcs. One group can volley fire with 15 shots and the other can volley with 14 shots. That can get a lot of models.

The mob also works well to take enough foot troops to be effective and still have archers firing from the same group. Shoot at everyone you want to charge. Then charge the ones still alive with everyone making sure the gobos are in there rear base. They can't attack but lend support. Now you just slaughterd a huge mass of enemy with one unit.

I'd say if played right they are worth everybit of 64 points.

Yeah I noticed the special skills, one thing elves have them on is range. The reason why I was asking is cause I was going to do a freelance group.. I really don't like the look of the orcs, but I love goblins, and they look great! so I thought I would shove the goblins and the half orc assassin in with a bunch of overlords! and live happily ever after!

My only suggestion is that if you use gobos try to take advantage of their mob skill. That is one of the main things in my vey that can make em so powerful. You can get way larger numbers in a group then normal groups.

Oh that is another question. Is the Gobo Sgt. Mob/10 or Mob/5, because in the example of the mob skill in the book it uses the Gobo Sgt. but says Mob/5, yet the Gobo sgt is Mob/10. Was that just a loose example or is there a misprint in one or the other?

(Yeah I was going to do a Gobo Sgt. with the Gobo skeeters, and fill in the rest with something else! Bond slaves, merc archers, or Overlord Crossbowmen, nothing like a goblin in charge!)

I assume it is 10.. I use it as 10 but haven't had the chance to field that many. That is most likely an error in the rules.

I agree and like I said rank the men up and get you full round of shots. Remember if you volley you get +6" so you can hit any cluster. If you have enough men you can make 2 volleys and hit the same area twice and take men down like crazy.

Iks, the Overlord Sergeant also gets Mob/9, so he can carry a few extra skeeters. Also, Ashkrypt gets Mob/3, so he could have a few too. Are they Adepts? Don't remember.

PS

Iks, the Overlord Sergeant also gets Mob/9, so he can carry a few extra skeeters. Also, Ashkrypt gets Mob/3, so he could have a few too. Are they Adepts? Don't remember.

PS

Yes they are adept but you sure could take them with the Overlord Sergeant. Which may be the most benificial because all you need is skeeter models to slip in as a mob models.

I thought ranking was a special skill? and don't see it under Goblins.

Ranked is a special ability that skeeters don't have. However, they are size small, so they don't block line of sight for larger models.

PS

Your right just goblins.. but then again this is warlord in the world of taltos.. not GW standard worlds or any other fantasy world. But at the same time you can say it's to much for "Just Goblins" but you don't pay something like 20 points or less like you'd expect for "Just goblins" So I think it works out ok. Remember the point system and game set up are to make all games relativly fair and equal under a point system so they remain fun. Not to make armies stand out far and above for a point cost like most of GW games have seamed to reach. Remember they're still adepts which means you can only have them in one unit. Elves and other archers aren't adepts so you can take them in as many units and cost less so you can still bring more.

And if you read about it, Archery is there life, there dire training.. It's the way of the goblin skeeter, they have to prove to them orcs that they are infact better then them at something, being the lowest cast of the greenskins. I'm telling you it's Goblin Power!

Your right just goblins.. but then again this is warlord in the world of taltos.. not GW standard worlds or any other fantasy world.

yes sure, but what i mean is do they really LOOK like the best archers in taltos?

but then i guess yoda doesnt look like the most powerful jedi either ::P:

I just had a quick look at the gobbie archers. Perhaps they wanted to throw their enemies off the fact that they can shoot by dressing up in hobo attire. :rock: Is that a slipper on one of the gobbie's feet? And is that a sock on one of their heads? I can't really tell from the picture.