Sign in to follow this  
Storminator

Tactics: Overlords

Yesterday Stormus and I played back to back games with the same forces. I have an Overlord horde, and he has his fancy-pants elves.

In the first game, he absolutely mauled me with his archers. I knew I had to cross the board quickly or be destroyed. I failed to cross quickly, or well.

I used my new favorite trick, which is to Teleport the Onyx Golem across the battle. The OG promptly choked on its attack, failed to kill Arnise, and was swarmed by a mass of Death Seekers (who, I must point out, are major behind kickers). So I sent Lola Darkslip over to try to kill Arnise, but the Death Seekers got the initiative, Lola was mauled, and in time, the archers decimated my army.

Things went wrong.

So the next time, I started the game by casting Part on my Ashkrypt's faction, moving the whole troop essentially one turn closer. The elves hid behind the hill, and used Caerwyn's Blazer ability to indirect volley the heck out of my formations. THEN I Teleported the Onyx Golem, this time right in Caerwyn's face. The Onyx Golem then single-handedly occupied the entire archer troop long enough for Ashkrypt to Fireball them out of existance.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the battlefield, Lola snuck up on Arnise (Stormus didn't see her model behind the trees, heh heh heh) and killed her. Since Lola's an assassin, she could get into Arnise's rear side and wipe her out. The leaderless troop soon fell.

And I finally got to use my Faction abilities exactly as I wanted. Ymrilix was fighting a jacked up Danithal (greater magic armor, greater magic weapon... OMG!), so on defensive strike Dani was about to get four +7 attacks. So I used Fear the Whip to break base-to-base and pull all the grunts around Ymrilix, then Do Your Duty to transfer 4 hits (they all hit...) to the grunts, preserving Ymrilix.

Everything went right in that one, and I only lost 2 non-grunts: Lola and the Onyx Golem.

PS

Awesome reports, Storminator! Sounds like you and Stormus had a blast!

Sometimes it's hard for people to realize that it's not always about numbers and superior fire-power, but positioning, tactics, and plain ol' dumb luck too. And I've been noticing alot of whining about "this model can't be right" or "this unit/model/leader is soooooo unfairly balanced" or "this forces' special ability is NOTHING compared to this other forces...". This post is a huge breath of fresh air, sir. And I thank you for it.

Moderators: Could this post be pinned so it dosen't get lost in the morass of whining and moaning about the Warlord game? Please?

That's good to hear, I had real bad luck with my reven playing dwarves there negateing toughness was rough on me, but I know that a couple small things diferent and it may have been completely turned aroound. I like warlord the way it is and think that the model set up is pretty fair. It's not so much the abilities it seems as it is how you use em.

That and unlike alot of games, Possitioning and formation makes a really big diffrence. Also the bigger and more powerful a creature gets, the bigger there base gets so you can swarm them with more troops, instead of a basic 6 troops you can get around them for bonuses, you get so much more. So the tactics are alot diffrent then what your normally see. I love it!

One question I have for you is you say he used his blazer ability and indirect fired at you behind a hill. Does't the model with Blazer still have to be able to see you? Or was he able to shoot at a spot on top off the hill that got him close enough to get part of the template on you??

...it's not always about numbers and superior fire-power, but positioning, tactics, and plain ol' dumb luck too....

That is precicely why I love this game. It is so simple that generally the best tactics win. Suprise, divide & conquer, envelope, etc.

Don't stand out in the open against archers.

Don't hide in the swamp against Reptus

Don't line up against a dragon.

Duh.

One question I have for you is you say he used his blazer ability and indirect fired at you behind a hill. Does't the model with Blazer still have to be able to see you? Or was he able to shoot at a spot on top off the hill that got him close enough to get part of the template on you??

Yeah, the Blazer was in LoS, and the rest of the troop was behind the hill.

PS

Cool battle report. Some really interesting use of spells there. Id never really thought about using part or teleport in that manner before.. silly me :)