CAV2 Beta

Does CAV2 need a Critical Hit mechanic?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Does CAV2 need a Critical Hit mechanic?

• Yes, with Variable Results (extra damage thrugh total destruction)
    • Yes, with Static Results (like an extra track of damage each time it happens)
    • No
    • Don't Care

Theres a discussion going on over at MIL-NET about the lack of a critical hit in CAV2. While I haven't really missed it in playetesting, it was very fun to get the ONE-SHOT-ONE-KILL result.

If we could have a poll with the following options, that would be very nice indeed (Frosch, I'm looking in your direction ::): ).

Does CAV2 need a critical hit Mechanic?

1. Yes, with Variable Results (extra damage thrugh total destruction)

2. Yes, with Static Results (like an extra track of damage each time it happens)

3. No

4. Don't Care

Please also use this thread to discuss your opinions, and also to offer suggestions on how such a mechanic might work in game, if you're in favor of it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely think it does. I want Puma's and Kahn's to be affraid of Rhino's and Revenant's. The Super-heavy CAV's are meant to intimidating and without that possibility of utter destruction they lose some of their "teeth". Sometimes the threat of destruction is sufficient to force my opponent to withdraw from a position I've convinced him is untenable or force him into a course of action of my choosing.

I love having the possibility of destroying a tank or aircraft or even a small CAV with one pull of the trigger. The JOR's describe the Maxim and Charvelle autocannon's as something to be feared. I'd like to see it kept that way.

I voted for option #1. I like the variable result because it add's to the "visualization" of unit's twisting and turning and dodging to avoid enemy fire. Part of the fun of a game for me is the "drama" of it. "Oh crap, my opponent just beat my roll by 16!" *NAIL BITING* "Phew, just one extra track of damage!" It also adds that "x" factor of actual combat.

What I was thinking, in the spirit of keeping things simple, was a Critical hit that works like this:

1) Roll a Valid "perfect 10".

2) Check to see if that "Perfect 10" roll also exceeds the DV of the target.

3) If the roll is >= Target DV as well as a perfect 10, do an extra track of damage. Otherwise, it's just an automatically succesful attack roll.

It works for many levels:

1) No Extra Dice rolling.

2) The chance of Critical damage against a target actually increases as it becomes more damaged.

3) As attacks become easier or harder to hit with, the chance of the perfect 10 being a critical hit changes accordingly.

4) Gives harder-hitting units some satisfaction from rolling that 10 that they didn't really need.

5) I think the concept of a critical hit works in a sci-fi universe. It doesn't so much for heroic fantasy like warlord where the big hitters are supposed to take acres and acres of punishment before going down. Where technology comes into play, there's always the chance that a reactor or ammo cache or cockpit is going to take the shot and ruin someone's day.

Examples (All Values are P.o.o.M.A.)

1 -- An infantry Rifle Team is making a defensive fire attack against an Ogre that rolled miserably during it's attack. After all modifiers are applied, they're rolling 1d10+0, vs. a Target Value of 13. The die comes up 10, but since the modified value of the attack would only have been 10, The attack does a single point of damage.

2-- A '60 Dictator is attacking that same Ogre. After all modifiers , it's basic ranged attacks are being made at 1d10+4 vs. a target DV of 13. The die comes up 10, and since the total value of the roll (14) is greater than the DV (13) The attack is a critical hit and does 2 damage.

What I was thinking, in the spirit of keeping things simple, was a Critical hit that works like this:

1) Roll a Valid "perfect 10".

2) Check to see if that "Perfect 10" roll also exceeds the DV of the target.

3) If the roll is >= Target DV as well as a perfect 10, do an extra track of damage. Otherwise, it's just an automatically succesful attack roll.

I like this, it's a nice simple way to work out if a crit happens and makes sense.

I would prefer something more variable than just an extra point of damage tho. Either a table similar to what's we have no, or maybe some kind of status effect (i.e. recieves a shaken token, or some new critical token that reduces attack values and move by 1)

I like the "perfect 10" solution for its simplicity, but nothing beats the excitement of rolling on the critical hit table. One thing that has to come into consideration is that critical hits will:

1) Most likely make the game a little bit slower. (is this worth it?)

2) Make units that are more likely to cause critical hits worth more (points)

3) Make units with many DT's more valuable.

I like the idea of Crits. Think about the game fluff-wise for a second. Look at the arsenal that the CAV's posess. Now look at the oh-so-vulnerable cockpit... Such an easy target. Take the Khan for example. Huge cockpit. Unarmored. Easy well placed shot. Now i dont care who you are and how far in the future it is. There is no way even armored cockpits can take a high caliber shot (say 90mm or 120mm as i assume the cannons are on CAVs) or a errant missle hith as high a payload as they would have to be to drop a CAV. Now game-wise i think the randomness of an errant or even well placed shot needs to be present in the game. A chart would be appropriate but for game play and ease of play i think the D10 rule would work. Especially if it did D3 points of damage if successful.

I'm against rolling any extra dice on principle, but that d3 extra damage is a nice blend of something quick and non-disruptive to game play as well as a random factor.

However, I feel that statistically d3 extra damage is a lot, especially when we consider things like overdrive. At best it should probably be d2 extra damage.