Sign in to follow this  
Sergei

Melting Hills

I'm trying to make hills out of the pink foam inslation but when I tried to use some spray on primer I got a really cool melting effect, but no color. What type of paint should I use to stop the "melting" effect.

You'll need to avoid sprays in general. It'a the chemicals used in the propellants that are melting your foam as I recall.

Get your self some big bottles of craft acrylic paint to basecoat the foam and you'll be good to go.

go to Home depot (or local equiv.) and get some latex house paint. there is usually two or three cans of a grey in the "orphan" section. paint that no-one wants because its not the right shade or whatever. usually it's cheap $2-$3 gallon.

If you are dead set on spray-painting your hills, you can prevent the melting effects by applying (via brush) a coat of thinned down Elmer's glue. Course, if you are going to go through that much work, you might as well apply the paint with the brush instead.

Go to Michaels arts and Crafts and get "Design Master" spray paint. You'll be fine. Its about $5 a pop so it would be cheaper to use brush on but you don't have the cleanup.

Most spraypaints contain butane as a propellant thats what's melting the foam. There is a paint called Simply Suade that doesnt melt foam and also gives it a light texture. They also make a stone fleck paint that looks ok. I've heard that Testors Model Master sprays don't melt foam either, but I've never tried it.

I'll second the suggestion of using a coat of thinned PVA glue on whatever it is you're spraying. You have to make it a pretty thorough coat though or you can end up with pock marks all over it if not careful.